TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › The bathes have gotten easier....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The bathes have gotten easier....

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Dr. D Claw's weekly bathes are getting easier and easier to do now. When we first started it was like trying to soap down a moving target. I need DH in the bathroom with me to make sure we got it all done. We are now about two months into the process and Dr. Claw has given up getting out of them. He's realized that he can hide, but we will drag him out and shove him in the bathroom. He's also realized that if he tries to jump out of the tub before the process is all done that he'll just get put right back in.

He's still a bit grumpy about the process, but all in all I don't even get wet anymore.
post #2 of 16
I knew he would get used to them after awhile. I was giving Petunia weekly baths for some reason and she became a patient with them. She did work on the most pathetic look though.

And I'm assuming that his fur is still coming in?
post #3 of 16
I have been very lucky with my guys when it comes to baths...

When I first got Sassy 15 years ago he was so infested with fleas that I had to bath him every 2 days for the first month I had him..He was only 5 weeks old and I really was afraid to use flea products on him. Because of this he actually doesn't mind being bathed. I generally try to bath him once a month now because he has fairly long hair and it helps with the shedding issue..

When I got Linus I assumed he had never been bathed and it would be a problem..
I was bathing Sassy one day and Linus was sitting on the edge of the tub watching, then he was in the tub sitting in the water beside Sassy, it was so cute unfortunately two wet cats made it impossible to run for the camera.

Linus really doesn't need to be bathed because his fur is so short but now bath day is for both of them whether I plan it that way or not.
post #4 of 16
Thats good to hear I'm still sort of about half and half. I have 2 that seem to like baths, 4 that are "ok, if I have to", and 2 that are like dropping a Black & Decker circular saw into a tub full of water.
post #5 of 16
for Dr. Claw.

Quote:
...like dropping a Black & Decker circular saw into a tub full of water...
Had one like that. Took me and Mom with me holding all four feet while Mom shampooed. And it was our smallest cat.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
Thats good to hear I'm still sort of about half and half. I have 2 that seem to like baths, 4 that are "ok, if I have to", and 2 that are like dropping a Black & Decker circular saw into a tub full of water.
Ah yes... I have given a cat like that a bath before. In my defense I didn't realize that a cat had the vertical leap ability of a gazelle before I started.
post #7 of 16
Thats good news for sure Heather
post #8 of 16
That's great news, sounds like he's made progress. I always thought that Bean would be horrible to bathe, he's such a crazy little boy to begin with. But every time I'v bathed him he's been a perfect angel.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
Ah yes... I have given a cat like that a bath before. In my defense I didn't realize that a cat had the vertical leap ability of a gazelle before I started.
This may be off the topic but what do you do for a living? I hope it has something to do with writing-cause you have quite a way with words.
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckatz View Post
This may be off the topic but what do you do for a living? I hope it has something to do with writing-cause you have quite a way with words.
Thank you! I work for a big insurance company and I explain to people how credit affects their insurance rates. It pays the bills.

I'd really love to write for a living, but I've never had the guts to start writing things out. Perhaps you all will be the motivation for me to do something about it.
post #11 of 16
You really should give it a try. Start with a short story like ones you see in The New Yorker. Maybe about the boys?
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckatz View Post
You really should give it a try. Start with a short story like ones you see in The New Yorker. Maybe about the boys?
Hey... if The New Yorker would want a story I wrote I'd pass out.

We shall see if anything comes of this... I just need to get a computer with a word processing system on it first.
post #13 of 16
Ok so silly question, but what are the advantages of bathing my cat, he is an indoor cat i was wondering if I should as you guys do?
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow View Post
Ok so silly question, but what are the advantages of bathing my cat, he is an indoor cat i was wondering if I should as you guys do?
I only give Dr Claw a bath because he has some sort of allergy and the baths are very soothing to him. He was pulling out his fur and was bald from the neck back.

A cat with no issues shouldn't really need a bath all that often, and the only reason to give him or her one would be if they stink like a porta-john.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
I only give Dr Claw a bath because he has some sort of allergy and the baths are very soothing to him. He was pulling out his fur and was bald from the neck back.

A cat with no issues shouldn't really need a bath all that often, and the only reason to give him or her one would be if they stink like a porta-john.
Well we have only had Mellow for 2 days and so far he doesnt stink or apear to have any skin problems, which is good because altho he has been inquisitive about looking in the bath, if me or my husband walked in there when he was in there he would run out at 100 mph, so bathing him would have been a pain!
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow View Post
Ok so silly question, but what are the advantages of bathing my cat, he is an indoor cat i was wondering if I should as you guys do?
I bathe my cats monthly because it makes grooming them a lot easier for me, especially with Cairo's long fur.

Paris loves water, except when I put her in it. The tub will be 6 inches deep, and she'll cling on onto my hand while I wash with the other, screaming and terrified to let go. I don't think she realizes she can't drown in the water.

Cairo's purr engine cranks up the second I put her in the tub, and she walks around in the water purring and trying to get pets. She really likes it, but it wasn't always that way. She screamed a lot when I bathed her as a kitten. Now when she hears the tub filling she runs into the bathroom and meows until I put her in.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › The bathes have gotten easier....