Fred

marshfieldmale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Fred was a 22-year old part tabby, part maine coon, that passed away July 10, 2005. He wasn't my cat, but my ex-girlfriend Crystal's cat. Crystal and I started dating 4 days after 9/11. She informed me on our first date that her cat hated all men. Well shortly after he saw me, she was amazed as to how quickly he took to me. At first, I saw the little guy as a pain in the butt. Crystal used to feed him table scraps, and he used to jump up on my lap and try to share my dinner. Also, when our relationship progressed to the intimate level, she came over for overnight stays, and said enough of that, as she worried greatly about Fred being home alone...so we shifted it to my coming over...mostly on weekends but on various weekday nights. In the middle of the night, when I'd get up to use the bathroom, he'd steal my spot. That annoyed me greatly...and it seemed that she had more of a connection with him than me, and that was an annoyance as well. Anyways, she ended the relationship in August, 2003 and we remained friends. Even though I was quite annoyed with him, I missed him greatly and she gave me the key to her place so I could visit with him on occasion...he became my best friend. Then, in July, 2005, she called me as he'd overnight gotten quite lethargic and lifeless...telling me that he was "asking" for me and if I wanted to say goodbye, that I'd better get over there ASA and P. Well, I got there and he was as bad as she stated on the phone, lying with his back to her, as she was lying on her bed...and her best friend was there for support. Less than an hour later, Fred took his last breath...not really having moved, looking at me the whole hour...I was the last thing the little guy saw, if sight was functional (I tend to believe it was). Even though I have my own two cats, and they are my life, I get quite emotional and teary eyed whenever I think of this story...he still lives on in my heart...and I'm convinced he's looking down on me with a watchful eye, from kitty heaven.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RIP Fred

I am glad you were able to be there with Fred, and I agree with you that he was able to see you there. If not I know that he felt your presence.

Have fun over at the bridge Fred.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marshfieldmale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One thing I left out is, I bonded with him, but I never really knew if he did with me...the fact that he "asked" Crystal if she would call me, and have me be there, was the proof I needed. This is a major reason why I get emotional over the little guy, over two years later.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for you loss.
Even though Fred wasn't your cat, it's very obvious that he loved you and you loved him.

Rest In Peace sweet boy.

marshfieldmale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Fred had his flaws...if you look closely at one of his eyes, it was "blown out" in a fight some years ago...he also had part of his ear bit off.

He had been declawed and was quite the biter (one of the reasons why I don't get my babies declawed) and the very last time we played together, he broke the skin just below my left thumb nail...there is a scar, not very noticable at times, but it's there...I call it his permanant love for me.

Originally Posted by Graciecat

I'm so very sorry for you loss.
Even though Fred wasn't your cat, it's very obvious that he loved you and you loved him.

Rest In Peace sweet boy.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`m sure Fred is having a great time at the bridge and watching over you both. He sounds like he was quite a character.

RIP Fred

marshfieldmale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I'm convinced he is watching us still. For a while there, whenever I'd view his pic, I'd get a sense that he was talking to me, not only about mommy, but about me....telling me that we both were going to be okay and not to be sad, as he was not in any sort of pain or distress anymore....and yes, he was quite the character.

Originally Posted by Jaffacake

I`m sure Fred is having a great time at the bridge and watching over you both. He sounds like he was quite a character.

RIP Fred

marshfieldmale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it was mutual...we won each other over...and I like how you made the comment about how handsome he IS...because he's not died in my heart, that's for darned sure!

Originally Posted by Rosiemac

What a handsome boy fred is
And one that won you over from the sound of things

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful boy Fred was, I'm so sorry he didn't come into your life sooner. He was truly blessed to have had such a long and wonderful life. Rest in peace now sweet Fred.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG make me cry... That is such a sweet story, Im glad that your ex let you remain a part of Freds life. Im so sorry for your loss!

marshfieldmale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm not sorry that he didn't come into my life sooner, as I think I caught him at the best time of his life....any sooner, he may have hated me and stayed away.

Originally Posted by lisalee

What a beautiful boy Fred was, I'm so sorry he didn't come into your life sooner. He was truly blessed to have had such a long and wonderful life. Rest in peace now sweet Fred.

marshfieldmale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's another story about my buddy....

While Crystal and I were still together, she signed up for cable internet. The day the cable company was supposed to come over, I went over to let them in. They had to install a cable into the bedroom. I had a large garbage bag of clean laundry in the closet, just washed the day before. The men left and I went about my business until she got home. The next day I drove her to work because I needed her vehicle, mine was in the shop. All the way to her office (a 3 or 4 mile drive) we smelled a strong smell thinking it was cat urine...as I dropped her off, I told her to give me a call just in case it was on her shirt, and I'd come back and drop off another one for her. On I went to the post office and Sam's club, and while at Sam's I smelled the smell again. I left immediately, got back to her place, and was going to change my shirt, when I discovered that Fred had marked in my laundry bag! He was so upset over the men (remember, he hated men) being in his momma's bedroom that he took it out on my clothes! I just shrugged my shoulders and laughed. What else could I do? I could never be angry with my best friend!

Originally Posted by trixie23

OMG make me cry... That is such a sweet story, Im glad that your ex let you remain a part of Freds life. Im so sorry for your loss!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a cute story... Im glad you took it lightly and laughed it off. Its hard to get mad or stay mad at our little fur loves. 22 years is a really long life and Im glad that he warmed up to you. My kitten isnt so fond of males (or people other than me in general) so I know what a challenge that can be.

I enjoyed your stories, and he was a beautiful cat btw (also love the name FRED lol that was the name of my first dog).

marshfieldmale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Crystal told me this story many times....

When she went to the animal shelter to adopt a kitty, she was really taken with another cat. Then all of a sudden, out of seemedly nowhere, Fred jumped on her and literally begged her to take him. She knew that as cute as that other cat was, she had to adopt this one. Many times cats know that they are destined to be yours. The same was true with my Kiki, but that's a story for another place and another time.

Originally Posted by trixie23

That is a cute story... Im glad you took it lightly and laughed it off. Its hard to get mad or stay mad at our little fur loves. 22 years is a really long life and Im glad that he warmed up to you. My kitten isnt so fond of males (or people other than me in general) so I know what a challenge that can be.

I enjoyed your stories, and he was a beautiful cat btw (also love the name FRED lol that was the name of my first dog).

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing your story about Fred. He sounds like he was quite a character and I know how much you must miss him.

Hope you are having a grand time at the rainbow bridge Fred.

marshfieldmale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I miss Fred with all my heart, and although I adore both my cats (especially Kiki) he'll always be my little buddy.

Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Thank you so much for sharing your story about Fred. He sounds like he was quite a character and I know how much you must miss him.

Hope you are having a grand time at the rainbow bridge Fred.