What to do about solicitors....

Status
Not open for further replies.

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had some Jehovah's Witnesses knock on my door this morning, bright and early at 9am (trust me, I was less than bright eyed and bushy tailed). I didn't answer the door, just looked out the peephole.

My problem is that they have been stopping by WEEKLY! Most of the time we're not home, I just get home to find a pamphlet in my screen door. The first time they showed up, my husband was cordial and took a pamphlet from them (then threw it out)...but I'm afraid that's why they keep showing up every week!

I'm very respectful of other peoples religions, however, I'm comfortable with mine, and nothings going to change that. All day I've been trying to think of a way to tell them nicely that I would appreciate it if they would stop coming and leaving stuff at our house (big problem is that I'm never around to answer the door when they stop by...I had just woken up this morning when they stopped by...wasn't about to answer the door). Will a "No Soliciting" sign suffice?

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to be rude to them.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Isadora44

I had some Jehova's Witnesses knock on my door this morning, bright and early at 9am (trust me, I was less than bright eyed and bushy tailed). I didn't answer the door, just looked out the peephole.

My problem is that they have been stopping by WEEKLY! Most of the time we're not home, I just get home to find a pamphlet in my screen door. The first time they showed up, my husband was cordial and took a pamphlet from them (then threw it out)...but I'm afraid that's why they keep showing up every week!

I'm very respectful of other peoples religions, however, I'm comfortable with mine, and nothings going to change that. All day I've been trying to think of a way to tell them nicely that I would appreciate it if they would stop coming and leaving stuff at our house (big problem is that I'm never around to answer the door when they stop by...I had just woken up this morning when they stopped by...wasn't about to answer the door). Will a "No Soliciting" sign suffice?

Oh I made the same mistake by taking a pamphlet
They came back every 2-3 days for MONTHS!

I asked them several times to stop but they would send someone else out and say "Sorry, we didnt know, but while I'm here......."

I also had no Soliciting signs. One even had the nerve to say "But we're not selling anything"

The last time I seen them was one day when my dad was over.
He's a penecostal minister and talked the poor guy almost into tears.... Never seen em again!

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try saying "Thank you for your enthusiasm, but I'm quite happy with my religious beliefs. I'm glad you are satisfied with your religion, but I'd appreciate if you and your fellow Witnesses would skip my house from now on. Have a good day". Then close the door.

If they keep coming, you can always tell them "I'll make you a deal....I'll give you 5 minutes to talk about your religion if, afterwards, you help me by keeping a tight hold on my goat while I show you how I practice mine......"
That would probably do it.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

Try saying "Thank you for your enthusiasm, but I'm quite happy with my religious beliefs. I'm glad you are satisfied with your religion, but I'd appreciate if you and your fellow Witnesses would skip my house from now on. Have a good day". Then close the door.

If they keep coming, you can always tell them "I'll make you a deal....I'll give you 5 minutes to talk about your religion if, afterwards, you help me by keeping a tight hold on my goat while I show you how I practice mine......"
That would probably do it.

That reminds me, my dad (who apparently has a knack for ridding Jehovah's witness) had a 10 foot Ball Python named Sally.
One day they came knocking at his door and he let them in. When my dad sat down in his recliner, Sally came slithering out from under it and scared the crap outta the Jehovahs and they literally ran out

The next day, he found a sign on his door sayin "Devil Worshiper"

That's probably why he doesn't like them

Sorry..... hijack over

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

That reminds me, my dad (who apparently has a knack for ridding Jehovah's witness) had a 10 foot Ball Python named Sally.
One day they came knocking at his door and he let them in. When my dad sat down in his recliner, Sally came slithering out from under it and scared the crap outta the Jehovahs and they literally ran out

Sorry..... hijack over
Note to self: go buy a 10 foot ball python......

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I normally don't answer the door either.
A few years ago they came to our house and Nana talked their ear off. They would come visit each week. It was actually nice for Nana and they didn't push their religion. They noticed a lady who needed companionship. After Nana died they dropped a lovely letter and haven't been back since.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

Sorry..... hijack over
GRRRR!!! I'm sorry but people who are going to try and waste your time every day and then call you a devil worhsipper because you have a snake?

THIS is why i HATE religion...not religions themselves, but the people who claim to be loving then shoot others down *sighs*

If i had a goat he'd be a pet..i'm a nice pagan
baaaaaaa

Double hijack *hides*

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your hijacks are always fun, Emma!

And yes, the python sounds like a great idea! Or maybe I can train the six cats to form up in a circle and growl menacingly...

I've actually thought about putting out a sign that says something like this:

Hello!
I make my own pizza,
clean my own carpet,
don't eat Chinese food,
barbecue, or Girl Scout cookies,
have a contract for oil changes,
read magazines at the library,
donate only to my selected charities,
and am completely at ease
with my private spiritual beliefs.
Thanks for stopping by!

I'd never do it, really, but... oh, it's tempting.

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have family who are Jehova's Witnesses, and honestly if you simply tell them exactly what you said "I'm very happy with my religion, I would appreciate it if you would stop coming by" - they will stop.

Yes there are some idiotic zealots who would keep coming, and then you have to be rude. But these are in the minority. Just tell them you aren't interested and they'll go.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to have a lot of them coming around - I guess they thought I needed saving.
But I told them that I was not interested and they left me alone after that. But for how long?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

And yes, the python sounds like a great idea! Or maybe I can train the six cats to form up in a circle and growl menacingly...

Hello!
I make my own pizza,
clean my own carpet,
don't eat Chinese food,
Thanks for stopping by!

Dare you

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Isadora44

The first time they showed up, my husband was cordial and took a pamphlet from them (then threw it out)...but I'm afraid that's why they keep showing up every week!
Yep. That's why they come around regularly now.

Just tell them that you work shiftwork and your sleep times vary. Ask them if they can just leave the pamphlet in the mailbox. This way no one is offended. All you have to do is just toss out the pamphlet if you don't want to read it. And it makes them happy to know that they are still giving them to you.

I came to realize that they aren't trying to convert people to their religion, and they are just doing "God's work" in trying to spread the word of God.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

I normally don't answer the door either.
A few years ago they came to our house and Nana talked their ear off. They would come visit each week. It was actually nice for Nana and they didn't push their religion. They noticed a lady who needed companionship. After Nana died they dropped a lovely letter and haven't been back since.
That was sweet of them

I've talked to them when they've come around and that's how I know they aren't trying to push their religion and convert people. All they are doing is spreading the gospel. They believe in the same God that most people believe in, and just like most religions have their own interpretations of what certain things in The Bible mean and how it should be practiced.

Back when I was a teenager I accepted a pamphlet and even gave them a donation to their Church, and they came around weekly after that. I always let them in and gave them tea and talked to them for a little while. My brother thought I was insane, lol

I eventually moved out and I think my brother just told them when they came around that I didn't live there anymore.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was once friends with a JW (online, it's a complicated story) and he told me that they had a grid marked out of the city, then split the areas up between people and if anyone showed the slightest hint of positive reaction i.e taking a pamphlet or inviting them in etc. got marked in their records and then visited lots after that.

I was visited by a pair of JW several weeks ago. I answered with Nikita in my arms (I tend to pick her up when opening the door just to make sure she won't try to run out) and they both immediately went omg! what a gorgeous kitty cat! what breed is she? what's her name? etc.

Then after talking about their old cat for a bit they went er.. erm, right *cough* god? Basically they'd forgotten all about what they came for originally after cooing over Nikita.

I just said I was happy in my religious beliefs and didn't want to talk about religion. They were polite and left and haven't come back.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When polite and "I don't wish to discuss my religious beliefs" doesn't work (as it doesn't with the group that likes to hound me), I find what does work is a loud angry sounding dog

The doorbell sets something off in Boo that makes him sound like an angry Rottie who's had a bad day. This is probably one of the sweetest dogs in the world, but the noises that come out of him when the bell rings has even made the pizza guy run for cover!

Well a few months ago my local JW decided to pay me a visit for the umpteen millionth time. I was painting my kitchen so I had the windows open a bit and they came to ring the bell. Boo was on to them in a heartbeat and was *yelling* at them through the window. I ran up to the window to see what was going on because he was so loud I didn't even hear the bell. All I saw were two people running down my driveway and when I checked the door, there were pamphlets stuck there. They haven't been back since.

Maybe they just weren't dog people?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, people peddling their religion, irk me. I do not subscribe to any organized religion, and I certainly don't subscribe to any bible stories, or the fairy tail of the earth being created by G-d in 7 days. Don't believe in the tooth fairy, or the easter bunny.

I find it offensive that some religions have the arrogance and total disregard for others' religious beliefs or lack there of , that they feel entitled to stuff pamphlets, shove them in you face on the street, and have the nerve to disturb you in the privacy of your home.

Why aren't they cruising the drug infested, crime ridden ghettos, where people need all the help they can get? No they are busy invading nice quiet neighborhoods.

They can all go to hell as far as I am concerned.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have JW going door to door here. Although I think there are a couple living in our complex that go out--sometimes we see them on their bikes.

Generally we get the scuzzy magazine salesman coming around. We just don't answer the door.

Ever since the first apartment I had with Raven & Nabu this has been my rule for door to door people. A salesman blabbing at my door let Raven slip out (my door opened to the parking lot). He wouldn't take no for an answer. Then the jerk wouldn't help me catch him (which I almost wasn't able too).
So I have no love for door-to-door people.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Hello!
I make my own pizza,
clean my own carpet,
don't eat Chinese food,
Thanks for stopping by!

Sheesh if you don't mind me copying, I'd put that up on my door in a heartbeat! Although I would have to add "... don't eat/buy meat from the back of a pickup truck..."

Status
Not open for further replies.