How late is too late for loud music?

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Ok, in my book, playing loud music any time of the day is rude (unless you're living in the country and no one can hear it). But that's just me.

Anyways, my neighbors are having a loud party nearby. It's almost 10pm, I was getting ready to go to bed but I really cannot sleep with all that noise. They're a good distance from me, but it seems that their speaker is aligned perfectly with my bedroom window. They're too close to hear me yell and I don't feel like getting out in my pyjamas.
Closing the window isn't an option because it's very hot otherwise (I don't have air conditioning).

I really don't know how much more I can take. I just want to go to sleep.

I might have to close the windows in the front of my apartment, open the patio door instead and sleep on the unfolded couch.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel your pain! The other night my neighbors started up their music at like 1am I think it was! (Might have been midnight, I'd need to check my post about it from that night...
) Not ended, STARTED! Oh and then there was the screaming that sounded more like pleasure than pain!

Personally I agree that playing loud music is rude no matter the time, but I'd say by 9 or 10 it's time to tamp it way down and at least respect the people around you that have kids! You can always call the police, but if where you live is like here, that only does so much good. DH actually sleeps with some earplugs in when they are really loud.

We have a trailer and we've had neighbors about 150' away make our windows rattle. Sometimes cars going by with their music and bass up make the plates I have on our kitchen wall and ally my picture frames rattle. Sometimes I think I want to by about 200 acers of woods and plop my house smack in the middle!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good! Glad to hear it stopped!

In our city and the cities around us, typically if its after 10:00 pm and shutting the window doesn't help the sound, then its time to call the police for noise violation.
Although a few weeks ago we had 2 neighbors that went until 1:00 am. Both sounded like they were next door (when one is around the corner and the other is across the street and 2 houses down). I was surprised that no one called for noise violation.

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If there is one thing that really gets my blood boiling, it's INCONSIDERATE PEOPLE (especially neighbors, which I have)---be it playing music really loud at ANY time, letting dogs bark incessantly, etc. It is sooo true that you can't choose your neighbors, which is why one day my husband and I want to get a house on at least 10 acres of land.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's a common occurrance, then I'd be considering calling the cops if it had continued into the wee hours. However, if this is rare, like less than yearly, I would consider that they might actually have something to celebrate and maybe just bite the bullet for tonight.

My parents had a big party for my dad's 50th. It was in their backyard and there was a live band, lots of guests and food/drinks. They told the neighbours in advance and they could have come...some did. They arranged a service to drive people home and ensured that nobody drove after drinking. They found somewhere for people to sleep if they wanted to stay. At just after 10, someone called the police, who came by. They said we'd have to wrap it up at 11pm. My mom said the band will play it's last set, and then finish. Whether people continue to sit in the yard and talk, she couldn't say (she was mad that people called the cops instead of joining the party lol). I think the band finished around 11:30, but it was before midnight for sure. Things quieted down, a few groups of people sat around and had a quiet conversation and/or smoke or whatever before heading out (recall the drivers for guests
) and that was it. Last people were out by 1:30, but I doubt anyone heard anything after 12, since at that point people were only speaking quietly and most people had gone home. In this type of situation, I don't think it's unreasonable for us to be tolerant and let people have their fun THIS ONE NIGHT.

However, if someone does this often or if it continues for most of the night, then I agree it would be unfair to the neighbours and rude. In general, I think that after 10pm, things should quiet down in a tight residential area. I don't, however, believe that should override our right to an occassional (key word), responsible and inclusive celebration in our own homes.

Sorry if that was too long!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Out here the music has to stop at 11pm weekends and i think 10pm weekdays. Mind you that doesn't even make some people stop and they don't give a sh*t about their neighbours

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

If it's a common occurrance, then I'd be considering calling the cops if it had continued into the wee hours. However, if this is rare, like less than yearly, I would consider that they might actually have something to celebrate and maybe just bite the bullet for tonight.
I agree.
If thier not doing it all the time, then let them have thier fun for one night. I would expect my neighbors to do the same. Hopefully they won't let it go on all night though.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were in Leli's example, I would be fine with the party as long as I knew in advance that it was going to happen. IF I didn't like it I would find something else to do that night.

Bruce, don't worry, I feel old just walking into some of those electronic stores. Half the time I just walk out because its too loud and I feel like I need a drink in my hand when I'm talking to the sales person.

Personally I think that the price of decent stereo equipment should never have dropped. Especially the surround sound stuff. Either that or produce a law that requires you to own a home (or rent one) before you can buy. The last apartment we leaved in the neighbors had surround sound, so we basically were forced to listen to whatever they wanted to watch or hear.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

what is the saying, if its to loud your to old?
hehe i have been to old for years
If this is true, I was born old. Even as a teen, the loud music hurt my ears. Probably why I can hear better than many people my age

In this town, 10pm is the magic time. It is usually stated on rental contracts and is listed in renter's rights.

A few nights ago, the new neighbor downstairs had his music loud and the bass set high. Not only could I hear it but it rattled my bone marrow! I left a note on his door. I suspect other tenants said something. too. Haven't heard a single note or thump since. Bunch of cranky, quiet people in this building

Last apartment I had, the guy downstairs installed surround sound. The volume wasn't the problem but those vibrations will drive me around the bend. He knew we didn't enjoy feeling his groove but he didn't care. Ah to be rich and have my own place

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its currently 5:30 am and im waiting for my train, i missed the last one to get to work
i just put my music on and you cant hear it but you can sure feel the bass

babygirl2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A few years ago I actually called the police on some teenagers having a party across the street from me. I don't mind people having parties but these teens were drinking underage and it was also 3 in the morning. When the police officer got to my house he told me don't worry they have already been warned once. As it turns out some of the other neighbors called the police earlier while I was out with my family. I found out the next day from my best friend that it was her ex boyfriend's little brother who had the party and the police spent 2 to 3 hours calling every teen's parents to come pick them up.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After 9pm on weekdays and maybe 11 on weekends.
I think it's really rude when neighbors do it.
They don't know if you have to work the next day or not!

Of course I'm a loud mouth and will knock on thier door and tell em to turn it down or I'm calling the police.

In my county if you can hear the music over 40feet away it's a noise violation and a $75.00 fine.

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMO, if you live in close quarters (i.e. an apartment, condo, townhouse), anytime of day is not appropriate for loud music. There are others around that may be day sleepers, have small children taking a nap, or just plain not want to hear it.

I'm in school right now and spend a lot of my days doing homework and I need quiet to do it. Thankfully, none of my neighbors play loud music (however, I have lived in places where that situation arose). I'm also extremely sensitive to loud noise (not sure why, my parents used to think I was autistic because it's so bad). Loud music makes me want to climb the walls.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Sometimes I think I want to by about 200 acers of woods and plop my house smack in the middle!
Oh yes, yes, yes! I'd get lonesome and have to go out every day to see people, but oh to have a retreat far from the madding crowd...

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Isadora44

IMO, if you live in close quarters (i.e. an apartment, condo, townhouse), anytime of day is not appropriate for loud music. There are others around that may be day sleepers, have small children taking a nap, or just plain not want to hear it.
I COMPLETELY agree with this.

We live in an apartment and our neighbors are ridiculous with their music blasting. I don't care if it's 2 in the afternoon, it's inappropriate when I'm sitting in my bedroom with the loud air conditioner AND television on and I can still clearly hear their music on top of the vibrations.

I get nervous talking loudly at night so as to not wake anyone up, it's amazing how inconsiderate people can be.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In most places I think the general time for loud music is nothing after 11pm in a neighborhood.

We go to bed between 9-9:30 as we get up at 4am to go to work. If I had neighbors like that playing loud music, it would not be pleasant! Might have to talk to them about toning it down.....or we could always come over and wake them up at 4am when we had to get up

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Isadora44

We have a downstairs neighbor who plays thumpy music all the time. She apparently has no clue how to adjust her stereo settings properly either.
Last night she turned it on at 1am!
I'm getting a cold, and my throat hurt and sinuses hurt so bad. I was so ticked. It's a good thing she shut it off in 10 minutes. Our complex has a courtesy officer to call when the office is closed. They confirm the noise. After so many violations, it's eviction time. We had neighbors last year who partied all the time and their music was so loud we had to move our bed.
Usually if it's not off by when I go to bed I call the courtesy officer number. There's a noise clause in the leases here.