Kitty is having a visit from a shrink!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As this isn`t a question about behaviour I hope it`s ok to post in the lounge

Anyway, Kitty has been really eggy with me since last sunday and what with the situation between him and Maisie I had had enough, so I rang the vet and asked how they go about referring to a behaviourist and was there anyone they recommended. They gave me a website and phone number of someone so I rang them friday and explained what`s been happening.

They were so helpful and spent ages on the phone, ( it`s freephone as well!
) They said that it can be sorted out so that Kitty And Maisie can live together but it will be very gradual and systemic. Apparently Kitty has to be de-sensytised(sp?).

I`m so excited! Someone is coming to do a home visit on wednesday at 10am. They spend between 1-4 hours with you then they write up a report of the meeting and do a copy of the treatment plan. You have ongoing support on the phone and can ring any time. There`s no time limit on how long they will help you for and it cost`s £130.

I can`t wait until wednesday! Must remember to ask why Kitty tries to hump my leg in bed too

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is so great!
I really hope this works....I know it's been tough for you, Kitty, & Maisie.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a great service. Hopefully thier able to make alot of progress with your kitties! Make sure you let us know how it goes.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a terrific service to include such thorough care including ongoing support! Is the phone call free only to people who intend to have a visit from the Behaviorist or is it free to anyone who would like to discuss a behavioral issue? I have immense admiration for Behaviorists, and if I could go to school all over again, this is the route I would have taken! I'm really looking forward to hearing all the details of your visit and the treatment plan that is outlined for your family!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful! I'm anxious to hear how it goes and what they recommend. Bless your heart for going to such lengths to make things right for your kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!
It has been really tough and horrible to see Kitty upset. Maisie is as happy as larry and can`t see what all the fuss is about

Can`t wait to hear what they say and to learn about whats going on for Kitty.

Originally Posted by DawnofSierra

What a terrific service to include such thorough care including ongoing support! Is the phone call free only to people who intend to have a visit from the Behaviorist or is it free to anyone who would like to discuss a behavioral issue? I have immense admiration for Behaviorists, and if I could go to school all over again, this is the route I would have taken! I'm really looking forward to hearing all the details of your visit and the treatment plan that is outlined for your family!
I was suprised about the free phone number. It`s free for anyone to ring and get advice. Here`s the website
http://www.naturallypets.co.uk/

They were saying on the phone how cats love the good things they get from us so when thats threatened they have no problem looking else where, hence Kitty being with the neighbour for the past week, where as dogs are loyal to their owners and will put up with a new dog in the house.

I asked about keeping Kitty in as he got so stressed I had to let him out last sunday. He was only in over night after his vet visit saturday and I`ve hardly seen him since. Just food times and he comes in to sleep at night. The rest of the time he`s on the neighbours bed

Anyhoo, they said if he is getting that stressed then I should let him go because if he starts to panic in here with me he will associate this place and me with bad things. She also said she`d seen cats that had injured themselves from going into a blind panic when confined.

So, roll on wednesday! I will let you all know what happens

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she came and it was very interesting. Everything is still buzzing round my head right now but I should get the report and treatment plan in about a week. The things she showed me are working all ready!

She was saying the key thing is to get Kitty super confident around the home and me again as he is so stressed at the moment and that is why he is spending no time here. She said his stress of Maisie being here conbined with his last vet visit and being confined for the night just pushed him over the edge and he associates me with this so that`s why he doesn`t like me stroking him at the moment and doesn`t like to be around me.

But she showed me a few tricks and as I type Kitty is asleep next to me on the sofa for the first time in a week and a half!

When Kitty is back to his usual confident self then we can start with involving Maisie. She said I need to train him to ignore her and food is going to be the incentive for him. If this doesn`t work there are other methods she can tell me but she was very positive that we can work this out.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That all sounds very positive. Fingers crossed that everything works out for Kitty, Maisie, and you!

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

That all sounds very positive. Fingers crossed that everything works out for Kitty, Maisie, and you!
Thank you! I think I can get him back in but I`m not looking forward to the intro`s again. Still, we`ve got plenty of support now

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aww sounds like a good start, all very fascinating and I bet you cant wait to get the report.........great reading with a glass of wine

Good luck with the ongoing work !

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! Yesterday morning Kitty would just tolerate me stroking him a few times. By the evening he was sleeping next to me on the sofa
This morning he jumped on the bed to tell me it was breakfast time and settled down for a snooze

This morning I came home to get my camera and there he was asleep on the sofa again. Finished work at 1pm and he has just come and cuddled up to me and is now sleeping again!

I can`t quite believe something so simple has done the trick so soon! I haven`t had to do half the things she told me.

And your right, my stress levels are going down rapidly

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
That's all really quite interesting. I hope things continue to go well.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!

Kitty has only been out for the toilet today. I`m so happy but gotta keep on with it so he becomes totally relaxed and confident.