Introducing a second kitten

babbittd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had Soda for a few weeks now and she is five months old. I adopted her from another guy that had her for two weeks (from a local shelter) before realizing that his girlfriend was completely allergic to her.

Being out of the house quite often, (40-70 hours per week), I felt it a good idea to get another feline as a companion for Soda. Seven was actually born on the same day and I got him from the same shelter that Soda came from.

Seven has been with us for three days and has his own room with all the necessary acroutements. He is super-friendly, playful and extremely careful while playing (I've never seen anything like this). Soda is more the independent type, not much of a lap cat.

Soda is slightly uncomfortable with his precense. She won't let me brush her after brushing Seven (tried this with washcloths too). They paw at each other under the door and we've done some introductions. Mostly Seven attempts to play, but Soda is both curious and agressive. She follows him around and sniffs him, but than will bat, murmur and sometimess hiss at him.

By the way, there are no other people or pets in the home. Where do I go from here?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like the introduction is going well. I would not worry too much. Soda's reaction to Seven is quite normal. Interfere only when it looks dangerous to Seven. However, never forget to prioritize Soda. Brush her first before Seven, etc. Sometimes giving more importance to a newcomer makes the resident cat feel that she is being replaced and this is not good.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I`d agree that it sounds like all is going well.
Congratulations on your second furbaby!
I`m glad yjru came from a shelter....thank you for giving them a welcoming home! Best of luck to you all!
Linda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babbittd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Looks like the introduction is going well. I would not worry too much. Soda's reaction to Seven is quite normal. Interfere only when it looks dangerous to Seven. However, never forget to prioritize Soda. Brush her first before Seven, etc. Sometimes giving more importance to a newcomer makes the resident cat feel that she is being replaced and this is not good.
Thanks for the reminder, re: brushing.

Here is a picture of Soda playing with a toy the first day she was home:

whiskers151

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently introduced Greta and Misty and they pretty much acted the same way you describe. I tried to keep them in the same room until Greta had enough stress and then seperated them for a time to give them both a break.

Two weeks after bringing Misty into the home Greta had stopped the hissing and they where playing and chasing each other around. Greta still asserts herself when she wants to make it clear she is the boss but otherwise they are great together.

Sounds like they are doing fine and just need time to get comfortable with each other.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing very well
The hissing and growling is all posturing. Unless it looks like someone will get hurt, they are okay.

My two make sounds like demons finally released from hades when they play but are fine. Seb will yell and Daphne will scream. When I run to break it up, they both look at me like "what's the matter with you?"

Just keep an eye on them. I'm sure they will be friends soon

babbittd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

It sounds like you are doing very well
The hissing and growling is all posturing. Unless it looks like someone will get hurt, they are okay.

My two make sounds like demons finally released from hades when they play but are fine. Seb will yell and Daphne will scream. When I run to break it up, they both look at me like "what's the matter with you?"

Just keep an eye on them. I'm sure they will be friends soon
Soda seems to be easing up more and more on a daily basis. I think my initial reaction was a bit strong. It's probably good that they're the same age?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's definitely good that they're the same age. Plus kittens are more flexible about intros than older cats. Kinda like skateboarding is easier if you're not trying to learn it when you're 40, LOL.

babbittd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No pictures of them cuddling yet, but I have successfully integrated the second kitten in the household and theyâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re now good friends.

I thought it would take longer, but Seven was sequestered in a bedroom for only 7 days…