Tell me about your cats eating habits

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought this would be an interesting thread because cats have some unusual eating habits.

When I was a child we had a cat we would give our left over food to. One particular habit with this cat was when he ate stew, he would not eat the carrots, but instead, he would spit them out. Sounds normal right? no, he would spit them out around his bowl so the would form a ring, neatly placed side by side.

Another cat, would scoop pawfuls of food and eat it from his paw, not the bowl. He also did this with his water, scoop it with his paw then drink it.

Tonight I gave Diego some wet food, I don't normally but he has been eating the kitten's wet and the kitten has been eating Diego's dry. Anyway I noticed he had dropped some on the floor, and to my amazement, he stopped eating from the bowl and ate the stuff on the floor first.
In all my time when a cat has been eating and spilled it on the floor, they finish whats in the bowl, even licking it clean, then proceed to eat what had fallen on the floor. (if they even bothered to eat it that is)

So lets all share our tails (tales) about our cats eating habits. I'm sure you all have some fascinating stories.

Wasn't sure if this belongs here or behaviour.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PHX doesn't really have any weird eating habits...

He won't eat human food that's for sure! Even if we leave a steak out on the counter, he'll smell it, possibly lick it, but he WILL NOT eat it.
That's my good PHX!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dugan and Bear have to stand in their water to drink it,,silly kits!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Popsie doesn't have any weird habits but he's a nibbler. He nibbles at his food then like a hour later goes and nibbles some more. That's just how he eats I guess. Now, I don't give him too much people food but he loves pot pies. He will eat the veggies and everything. Oh yeah, he loves cheese too. Big surprise since it's dairy.

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sarah is a fast eater, She just chows down. Max is slow eater, he likes to savor his food, so much that Sarah will try to go after his food and when she does... he just sits there! But watch out when he has his "baby". He growls and runs away. Silly cat

mamarosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Silly striped Sabrina eats (I just found out) Fig Newtons. She doesn't eat other unusual things. She is a big eater but of her dry food. Has anyone else had a kitty eat these "cookies" or AKA kitty kookies?

Thanks,
MR

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats don't have any weird eating habits, it's what they DO after they eat!

I have just decided they are going to get TWO meals instead of THREE because I am tired of cleaning up
. I have been over-feeding, especially Cassy.

My previous cat, Princess, used to climp up the counter and eat the sandwich bread and once she started eating a raw home made pizza!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cat's don't really have any weird eating habits that i can think of, by my sister kimmy has a foster cat named Sam that she's watching for his owner while she moves and he does! That cat will NOT eat out of a bowl or eat on a matt- it must be on the floor
i've never seen anything like it-my sister has to put a hand full of his dry food on the floor or he will not eat
it's like he thinks the bowls and matts are contaminated or something

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angel will meow for steak while hubby's cooking it although she only had a taste of it once when a piece fell from my plate.
Tiger and her also know when meowmy's having a tuna fish sandwich and that they're going to get a 'juicy' treat.
Waste not, might as well give them the juice.

Almost forgot, Tiger likes to play with the water in the water bowl. He gets it all over the kitchen floor!

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

my cat's don't really have any weird eating habits that i can think of, by my sister kimmy has a foster cat named Sam that she's watching for his owner while she moves and he does! That cat will NOT eat out of a bowl or eat on a matt- it must be on the floor
i've never seen anything like it-my sister has to put a hand full of his dry food on the floor or he will not eat
it's like he thinks the bowls and matts are contaminated or something
My cat George prefers to eat off the ground too. I've tried all different kinds of bowls and plates but to him the floor is MUCH better. He also does what I call "the Hoover Manuever". He just sucks up a mouthfull of food and swallows.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if I have dry cereal for breakfast Bakker jumps on the kitchen table and waits for me to just about finish so I leave about a tablespoon of cereal milk for him.
Grizzly just eats alot!!
Bobber will cruise the kitchen counter if in the house and rip out bread/bun packages and meat if possible.
Ox is a beggar if I am eating popcorn or chips!!

bakearama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jainy doesn't do anything too weird about her regular food. Every once in a while we give her a little piece of chicken or beef, she always takes it out of the bowl, puts it on the floor then walks around it in a circle then eats it. This is really funny because we usually cut the little piece into itty bitty pieces.

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Quill is a nibbler. I'll feed him his dry in the morning, leave it for him and then when I get home I wash out his bowls and give him some wet and fresh water. He LOVES to play with water, so I'll give him a huge tub to paddle around in, supervised of course.
He hates human food. I think he's scared of it.