Oh, the irony

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So about 2:30 this afternoon my parents went out to buy groceries and stuff. Earlier in the day my dad drove my grandpa to his motorhome which he was going to drive down to Assiniboia (about an hour south of here), and got a new battery for the engine.

My dad was in the insurance place paying for our fire insurance when a fire truck went by. A few minutes later when my parents were driving up the big hill on Main they saw a bunch of black smoke coming from the base. My mom joked, "I wonder if it's grandpa's motorhome."

When my parents got home my grandpa called and said he was driving by the base when his motorhome caught on fire. He tried to put it out but couldn't, and by the time the fire department got there, there was nothing left. Great. Doesn't my family just have the greatest luck?

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, that's terrible! Your poor Grandpa! Vehicles can burn very quickly, so glad your Grandpa is OK. Motorhomes can be replaced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

Oh no, that's terrible! Your poor Grandpa! Vehicles can burn very quickly, so glad your Grandpa is OK. Motorhomes can be replaced.
That's true, but he was living in it and he had some sentimental things in there that he lost, like some of my auntie's stuff and her ashes (she passed away in June). I really don't know what to think of this.
Maybe I should carry a four leaf clover or something around. We've already had enough crap happen!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is ironic and terrible at the same time. Could anything be saved??
So where is he going to live now??

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Im so sorry what a tragic thing to happen....... many thoughts, prayers and vibes for your Grandpa.

Things will turn around Moz. Sometimes, things are just not good and then things start looking bright again.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight my parents and I went to where the fire was to see if we could find anything. We only found one picture and some burnt clothes. It turns out the fire was right in front of this farmhouse and we talked to the man that lives there. He has some pictures and videos of the fire that he's going to send to us on Monday. When we came back into town we went to where they towed the motorhome and went and saw it.

Originally Posted by GailC

It is ironic and terrible at the same time. Could anything be saved??
So where is he going to live now??
My mom and I dug a little through the debris inside the frame of the motorhome. We found some pictures (although some are melted and burnt on the edges), a belt buckle, a ring, and a box of tools. There were a few books and some paperwork but that wasn't salvageable.

He is going down to Assiniboia and staying with family.

Originally Posted by Pami

Oh Im so sorry what a tragic thing to happen....... many thoughts, prayers and vibes for your Grandpa.

Things will turn around Moz. Sometimes, things are just not good and then things start looking bright again.
Thank you for the kind words. I really do hope everything will get better. Here's some pictures that I took from tonight:

Clothes

The back end of the motorhome showing the rear bumper, spare tire, and the frame.

Part of the bag that some of my auntie's ashes are in melted with part of a shirt.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh I'm sorry. But thank goodness it happened in the daytime, and not while he was asleep. I hope your grandpa gets past the emotional loss quickly...

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright so I just finished peeling apart some pictures from the motorhome. Some are wet (gasoline, perhaps?) and they all smell pretty funky.. how should I dry them? Right now they're just sitting downstairs on a towel.. I'm thinking I might just let them air-dry.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

Let them air dry, then get them scanned. Whatever got them wet may degrade them, so you want to get copies made ASAP so you don't lose them too.
I never thought of scanning them. Thanks for the idea!

I also went to a local news site and was surprised to see that it was mentioned. Seems like whoever wrote it was in a hurry.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no!
Your poor Grandpa! At least he has family that can support him and help him get through the loss. And thank goodness he wasn't injured!
Did they figure out what started it?