Old cat, new kitten

hott_ta_molli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need some help. I have an almost 7 year old cat and just got a 7 week old kitten. My cat seems fine with the kitten for the most part, but sometimes when he walks past the kitten, he'll just hiss. And sometimes he gets this look/stance like hes going to attack the kitten. How do I get the 2 animals to play nice?

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may take some time for the "older" cat to adjust. Give plenty of attention to the 7 yr. old, as not to cause jealousy issues. Try feeding them together...food is a powerful motivator!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

It may take some time for the "older" cat to adjust. Give plenty of attention to the 7 yr. old, as not to cause jealousy issues. Try feeding them together...food is a powerful motivator!
Yeah that.

Also, you have to remember that this is what cats will do.. the older one is probably just saying to the younger one "Hey, I'm boss here. Not you." Just to show who's the alpha cat!
It will get better, with some time!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, I would just let them go provided the older one isn't actually injuring the younger one... that's normal. A few weeks go by and they're usually okay with one another. Try playing with them together, feeding in the same room.. and when mine first come in, I put the kitten up for it's own protection when I'm not home.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Yep, I would just let them go provided the older one isn't actually injuring the younger one... that's normal. A few weeks go by and they're usually okay with one another. Try playing with them together, feeding in the same room.. and when mine first come in, I put the kitten up for it's own protection when I'm not home.
Yeah that...

Make sure to give them treats together! It will show them you love both of them...