Dry Socket and Oil of Clove

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had been having a lot of pain since my wisdom tooth surgery last week and I went back to the dentist today. He is on holidays so they sent me to another dentist. He said I have dry socket in the bottom 2.
He put oil of clove in it and it tastes soooooooooooooooooo bad.

Does anyone know if there is any way of getting rid of the taste of the oil of clove? It is in there with some gauze stuff thats packed right into my gums. It is helping it feel better (along with tylenol 3's) but I can't stand the taste. I have tried drinking juice and milk, I ate some macaroni and cheese and I tried mints and it just wont go away.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow you will be lucky to find something to over power that.
Cloves on their own are powerful let alone being made into an oil.

Perhaps peppermint oil may work, but I reckon you would prefer the cloves.

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't wanna be a "Nay-Sayer" but...good luck on getting rid of the taste--only time will help. That stuff is awful, but worth it!

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I had the same problem, I asked myself... would I rather be in pain or have a awful taste in my mouth? The pain was unbearable, and the Clove Oil was the ONLY thing that helped. None of the stuff you get at the drugstore helped and the medicine he prescribed made me nauseus (sp?) so I didn't like taking it.

Clove oil is one of the most awful things I've ever tasted, but it works extremely well for the pain. Good luck, and get well soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I don't have a solution, I just had to say I'm sorry you have dry sockets. Man, that hurts. Hope it's better soon and the oil wears off soon, too.
Thanks! It is feeling a lot better since I went back to the dentist. It is starting to hurt again now, but I am going to take some more Tylenol 3's and then go to bed soon.

Originally Posted by Taurus77

Don't wanna be a "Nay-Sayer" but...good luck on getting rid of the taste--only time will help. That stuff is awful, but worth it!
It is disguisting. My boyfriend brought me home Swiss Chalet for dinner and it tasted like clove oil.

Originally Posted by TickyTat

When I had the same problem, I asked myself... would I rather be in pain or have a awful taste in my mouth? The pain was unbearable, and the Clove Oil was the ONLY thing that helped. None of the stuff you get at the drugstore helped and the medicine he prescribed made me nauseus (sp?) so I didn't like taking it.

Clove oil is one of the most awful things I've ever tasted, but it works extremely well for the pain. Good luck, and get well soon!
The tylenol 3's are helping quite a bit and the clove oil is too but its starting to wear off now. My mom said she has a bottle of clove oil that she could bring me but I don't know if I want to taste that all over again. It was making me gag for like 4 hours.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ack! I remember when I had that done back in the mid to late 90's. I had 3 wisdom teeth pulled and ended up with one dry socket. If I remember right, I had to go back more than once for the to repack the socket. You're right....that stuff is nasty!!! I remember filling up the car with gas after I left the dentist office. I was standing there, filling up, but continuously spitting out any saliva that developed in my mouth....I didn't want to swallow it because of the horrible taste. I hope you feel better soon so you can get that out of your mouth and get your sense of taste back!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's not easy to get that taste out of your mouth

There is this Red Cross stuff you can by at CVS or Walgreens for toothaches.
Its Clove oil and comes with tiny little cotton balls and a tiny pair of tweezers.
If you do it right, you can get the cotton ball in the socket without it hitting your tongue or cheek.
I've used it MANY times for a toothace/drysocket. When I had dry socket, Percocet, Vicoden, and Tylenol 3 wouldn't ease the pain so I used that stuff.

The only thing that got the taste out of my mouth was garlic bread

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if something cold might help... cold seems to reduce your sensitivity to taste... maybe a popsicle? I drank a lot of milkshakes when I had mine out...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

The only thing that got the taste out of my mouth was garlic bread
I will have to try that.
If its not gone by tomorrow, I will buy some garlic bread.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I'm wondering if something cold might help... cold seems to reduce your sensitivity to taste... maybe a popsicle? I drank a lot of milkshakes when I had mine out...
Maybe I will see if that will work. My freezer is always stocked with popsicles and freezies in the summer.