TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Cats S.O.S › Cat being put to sleep
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cat being put to sleep

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hi,

I was browsing the pet ads in my local newspaper online, and I saw this ad for a Black and White 2 y/o female kitty. It says they will put her to sleep if they don't find a home soon. Are they just saying that so she gets adopted? Or is it true? I can't take her in because Moonlight hates other cats... I was thinking about taking her to my local shelter which is non-kill. But could this be true aobut putting her to sleep??
post #2 of 14
I am hoping they are just saying that so someone will adopt her!!!!!!!

post #3 of 14
It might be true...a lot of people put their cats to sleep when it's not medically necessary.
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandini View Post
I am hoping they are just saying that so someone will adopt her!!!!!!!

I hope so too! She's only 2 years and has a long life ahead of her.
Do you think I should rescue her though? My shelter is non-kill, and has a very high adoption rate.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlights mom View Post
I hope so too! She's only 2 years and has a long life ahead of her.
Do you think I should rescue her though? My shelter is non-kill, and has a very high adoption rate.
If you feel that you're in the position to rescue her and can get her into the no-kill shelter, then I say go for it.

It could be that her owners are threatening euthanasia as a means of getting her adopted and trying to place the guilt they should feel at giving her up on someone else. They want someone else to be responsible. In cases like this I feel such contempt for the people, and so sorry for the cats.

I hope you're able to help her and thanks for caring.
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilcon View Post
If you feel that you're in the position to rescue her and can get her into the no-kill shelter, then I say go for it.

It could be that her owners are threatening euthanasia as a means of getting her adopted and trying to place the guilt they should feel at giving her up on someone else. They want someone else to be responsible. In cases like this I feel such contempt for the people, and so sorry for the cats.

I hope you're able to help her and thanks for caring.
I think those people are just sick.

It doesn't say the price in the ad, but I'll probably call on her. Not that she'll be real happy at the shelter, but it's better than being dead. My shelter has a room called "Kitty Country" where the cats get to move freely on all kinds of jungle gyms and stuff. They only kill if it's a serious behavioral issue. I'll talk to my mom about it. Thanks everyone.
post #7 of 14
It's probably true, sometimes people run into issues where they cant keep the cat anymore, and bringing it to a shelter doesnt guarantee it will be adopted either. They are hoping to find the cat a home I guess so it WONT have to be put to sleep.

Usually people put a story why they are giving up the cat.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny82 View Post
It might be true...a lot of people put their cats to sleep when it's not medically necessary.
At my rescue we get several calls saying that if they cannot rehome their cat by such time, then it will be euthanized. While I agree that some people just threat.. there are people that do do this. We have gotten several cats from vet clinics that were to be euthanized, but the vet asked if a rescue could be contacted to try and rehome.

Very unnecessary, IMO.
post #9 of 14
My thinking is that even if it's just a threat to get the cat out faster...she'd be better off elsewhere anyway. People who can even make a threat [real or not] like that about a living creature are not ones who would get high marks for a stable environment in my book.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilcon View Post
If you feel that you're in the position to rescue her and can get her into the no-kill shelter, then I say go for it.

It could be that her owners are threatening euthanasia as a means of getting her adopted and trying to place the guilt they should feel at giving her up on someone else. They want someone else to be responsible. In cases like this I feel such contempt for the people, and so sorry for the cats.

I hope you're able to help her and thanks for caring.

I agree, if you think you can help her, then you should
post #11 of 14
We get calls like that at our adoption group too. Most of the people are crying or just frustrated because so many no-kill shelters will not accept owner give-ups.

It is ridiculous that people advertise or threaten that way, but we see it all the time too
post #12 of 14
Bless you for caring. I really think you should try and help her!!!

Please keep us posted on this....
post #13 of 14
Yep by all means, help her out, shes a soul who needs liberation.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
I feel terrible.

I went out of town and I came back, the ad was gone. I never made myself call. I suppose it could of just expired, but I'm hoping she found a happy home. But what if she got put to sleep? It's all my fault. I should of done something. Be mad at me. I deserve it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats S.O.S
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Feral Cats and Rescue › Cats S.O.S › Cat being put to sleep