Rising Vet Prices

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't believe how much vet prices are going up. I have checked around in the past and the vet practice I am going to is in line with the others. I took my two in for the annual visit and it was $187.00. I have to take them back in three weeks for a booster for the new calcivirus vaccine. I don't have to pay for office calls again for that, the vet tech can give it. My one guy has to have a Benadryl shot first though because he had an allergic reaction to the one year boosters and that is $21.00 and the boosters are $8.50 each.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I spent about $240 on an annual visit for Emily and Chessy last month.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Denice, try the Cats-Only clinic. It's somewhere around Upper Arlington / Dublin and Zissou and I love it http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132515

Here is their website, it has their pricing information on it. http://www.catsonlyvc.com/ It's 73$ for the first visit but only 55$ after that. Honestly they could charge a lot more and I'd still go-- the techs and vets are so gentle and patient!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just had Bijou' annual checkup done and with the visit and rabies vaccine the visit was $65.00 CDN.

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I heard on the local news that vet prices have doubled in the past ten years.

I took two of my cats to the vets for their annual check up, rabies, distemper, Felv shots and a bottle of Clindamycin last month and it cost $311.00. Plus they both need their teeth cleaned and that's going to be another $530.00.

That's just two of my cats. I have 4 more and they will probably need their teeth cleaned, too. For some reason my cats have a lot of dental problems.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, vet visits can be costly. I bet the insurance plans will start to dominate in the coming years for pets too, forcing costs to raise even more.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed this too. The prices are getting ridiculous. I took my german shepherd to the vet for a few shots the other day and it was $150.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Humm depends on the vet and your relationship...

Office visit 24-31 $( ie exam)
Office visit with shot 59$
Xrays two or three shots 60-75$
Accupucture 36$
Chiropractic 36$

Frantic Mom reaction to not calmed dog after chiropractic or accupucture .. free and a discussion as to what happened and how it will be addressed in the future

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Humm depends on the vet and your relationship...

Office visit 24-31 $( ie exam)
Office visit with shot 59$
Xrays two or three shots 60-75$
Accupucture 36$
Chiropractic 36$

Frantic Mom reaction to not calmed dog after chiropractic or accupucture .. free and a discussion as to what happened and how it will be addressed in the future
Relationships are great and they do cut you slack sometimes with multiple pets for sure. I had an old vet I really loved, but he retired, then I had to move and start all over. I always choose the smaller vets, I won't go to VCA or Banfield.

Vets are a business, most operate for profit, not charity work (although they do do this many times), they do put in long hard and devoted hours, go to school for a long time, are oftentimes on call for emergencies, and do deserve a good wage. I feel it is getting really high though and I don't see an end in sight, only predict it will go up even higher pretty fast.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet is expensive, but I feel like they're worth it. I do get a discount for having multiple pets and they also cut me some slack (ie today I was only charged for Lola, even though they weighed Addie and gave her a quick once over....even offered to cut her nails). However, we have 5 animals including one dog who has had some health issues lately (biopsy and long term antibiotics) and two rescue kittens who had to have their shots and one of whom had a bad anasthetic reaction during a spay attempt and has an ongoing weight issue. Basically, I practically live there, so I feel like I deserve a cut cost here and there. I still spend loads of cash.