Please help me ID my kitty :)

iucandi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got Dante almost a year ago from the Humane Shelter...he was the cutest and most friendliest cat there... only after I got him did I realize how people dependent he is
He never leaves my sight and always wants affection. He waits by the door whenever I leave the house and always sleeps right next to me... the point is, I love him sooo much, he is the greatest kitty I could have asked for..

BUT, the humane shelter labeled him as a Turkish Angora mix... the mix being unknown. I'm just hoping that you guys can help me figure out what he is mixed with... Below are a few pictures of him. THANKS!!

the one below was photo-manipulated

Sorry but i reformated my computer and don't have any other pics of him... i need to start taking more
BUT..can u tell me what you think? Any idea of what breed he is?

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see any Turkish Angora in him though it may be possible.

What I do see (based on the 1st pic) is a sweet and gorgeous Cream (and white maybe) or even a possible red smoke DLH.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree (looks like a cream/white or cream smoke and white) Very pretty markings

I would say Turkish Angora only if the coat is more on the silky side in texture and doesn't mat alot. Hard to tell from the pics.

Since its a mix, you would just call him domestic longhair.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is beautiful. I love his name! (and spelling ) I have a Dante'!
I don't see Turkish Angora, either, but what a handsome man just the same!

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not quite sure what he could be a mix of, but one thing I do know is... he's GORGEOUS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iucandi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww, thanks for the compliments, everyone. I absolutely LOVE him and share your same enthusiasm regarding his cuteness

I can say that his hair is incredibly silky and has never matted!! Luckily and thankfully he is not high maintenance like my other kitty, Chief- the mainecoon
Regardless of Dante's breed, however, I love him with all my heart and thank you all for your comments !!

I am still slightly inclined to call him a turkish angora mix because he has every single personality trait shared among turkish angoras... i was just wondering if his "mixed" part could be identifiied but i understand now that it is highly unlikely to accurately pin point it... but for the sake of him not being a pure bred kitty, i see the logic behind calling him a DHL.

Anyways, THANKS ALL!!!

xoxo
candace

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a very handsome boy!

Originally Posted by Abymummy

I don't see any Turkish Angora in him though it may be possible.

What I do see (based on the 1st pic) is a sweet and gorgeous Cream (and white maybe) or even a possible red smoke DLH.
Ok, what makes him smoke?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A smoke cat (black, blue, red/cream, etc.) is basically white fur at the base (next to the skin) and the color on top of it.

It easier to see in a longhair as the coat is very white with the color on the rest of the hair shaft. In shorthairs it's sometimes harder to see at first.

Part your cats hair in good lighting - kinda make it a circle of flat fur. If the base of the hair is very white, then you have a smoke.

Reds/creams sometimes have a lighter shade at the base that people mistake for being "white" - but if its a real smoke it will be almost pure white

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don`t have a clue what KIND of kitty he is....but I can tell you one thing! I`d SURE LOVE TO KISS THAT SWEET SLEEPY FACE!!!
Linda

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

A smoke cat (black, blue, red/cream, etc.) is basically white fur at the base (next to the skin) and the color on top of it.

It easier to see in a longhair as the coat is very white with the color on the rest of the hair shaft. In shorthairs it's sometimes harder to see at first.

Part your cats hair in good lighting - kinda make it a circle of flat fur. If the base of the hair is very white, then you have a smoke.

Reds/creams sometimes have a lighter shade at the base that people mistake for being "white" - but if its a real smoke it will be almost pure white
Thanks... I've often wondered if Wickett is a smoke but the bottom of his hair is more grey/silver than white.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the case with cornish/devon rexes who only have a down/under coat and not the full coat of normal cats would you have the more greyish/silver looking undertones on a smoke.

Because there is not enough hair there to properly color a white/black look, almost EVERY black smoke rex really is more greyish at the base of the hair.

We joke and say a "true" black smoke rex would technically be an all white cat as the undercoat is white on a black smoke and the rex only has the undercoat