Pus In Kittens' Eyes

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides the five indoor cats that "own" my b/f & I, we also have several outdoor strays that we feed and take care of. One of the Mama cats recently had kittens, and brought them onto the porch, so now they are permanent members of the cat clan too it would seem! LOL
I've noticed that they sometimes have pus in their eyes, and was wondering if any of you experts could know what causes it, and what can be done about it. Three of the babies are still leary and keep their distance when I go out to feed them, but one of them will now let me pick him/her up: I'm assuming that the other three will follow suit eventually. When I'm able to gain their complete trust, I would like to be able to clean out their eyes if possible. Does anyone know what causes pus in kitten's eyes, and what can be done about it??

Any advice will be appreciated!

KittKatt

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many different things can cause eye pus (or I am assuming you mean conjunctivitis) IF you could get them seen by a vet the vet can determine the cause and prescribe the correct antibiotics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

Many different things can cause eye pus (or I am assuming you mean conjunctivitis) IF you could get them seen by a vet the vet can determine the cause and prescribe the correct antibiotics.
I appreciate your advice & suggestion, Kityize, but unfortunately, we really can't afford to take all the kittens into the vet - especially since we've already spent a small fortune on Winchester's FIP meds & vet visits. But maybe if I can corral just one of the babies w/o too many problems, I can take him/her into the vet, to at least find out what is causing the pus, and treat them all if the vet prescribes something...

~KK~

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is conjunctivitis- all the other outdoor cats as well as your indoor ones could very well catch it. There are so many ailments that can cause the eyes to goop up. A vet visit is really needed to determine the cause. I would give the vet a call and tell him whats going on. Most vets will set up some sort of payment plan with you. I kbnow money may be tight now, but if this gets worse or spreads to the other kitties- it'll be a small fortune, Not to mention the stress on everyone, including you