Sulking or something else?

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I have separated Diego and new kitten because I discovered a small tuft of fur between Diegos fingers (or whatever they're called on cats)
Now the new kitten is acting weird. He's gone from being a loving, happy to be rescued kitten, to a scared feral again. He's hiding behind the washing machine and won't come out for anything, when he did come out I took a step forward to pat him and he shot back behind there.

Do you think he is sulking coz I separated him and Diego, or Diego possibly injured him so he's hiding to be safe? or perhaps something more sinister??

To explain it best he is just like he was when I tried to capture him. I am really worried that something is not right. I don't want to try force him out in-case that makes matters worse.

Any suggestions???

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd leave him for the time being. When he feels ready to come out he will. Mabye talk to him in a soft soothing reassuring voice, but more indirectly not say peaking over the washing machine. How long had he been hiding?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he feels safe around Diego or maybe he's just confused. Just taking some guesses.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure to wash your hands after petting Diego, before approaching the kitten. I learned this the hard way when Lily and Sparkle weren't getting along, and Sparkle lashed out at me because I smelled like Lily! Maybe the vanilla extract trick would work so they both smell the same?

I'd put them back together and see what happens.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let him come out when he is ready. It could be the play got too rough and he's a little freaked. Let them both calm down, and they will come together again when they are ready. Maybe Diego laid down some ground rules that the kitten isn't real happy with. It will work itself out on it's own.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put them back together and see what happens. Just because Diego had fur between his toes doesn't necessarily mean he hurt the kitten they may have just been playing or something. It could be the kitten likes Diego better then he likes you yet. When I first brought Linus home he was like that. He loved Sassy right away but wasn't sure about me and for a long time wouldn't let me play with him unless sassy was close by.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I'd leave him for the time being. When he feels ready to come out he will. Mabye talk to him in a soft soothing reassuring voice, but more indirectly not say peaking over the washing machine. How long had he been hiding?
I would say he's been there for the good part of an hour, maybe more. I hadn't seen him for a while and when I called him he didn't come so I went looking. I can see behind the washing machine, s gave him indirect eye contact and laid down so he could see me, but he didn't do anything.

Originally Posted by tierre0

I would put them back together and see what happens. Just because Diego had fur between his toes doesn't necessarily mean he hurt the kitten they may have just been playing or something. It could be the kitten likes Diego better then he likes you yet. When I first brought Linus home he was like that. He loved Sassy right away but wasn't sure about me and for a long time wouldn't let me play with him unless sassy was close by.
His claws were trimmed thats why I worried he may have cause an injury or something since he still managed to get some fur caught.

I would say if he like Diego better, then he has gone off me.

We had such a close bond, you know when you wink at someone and do that sound with your mouth at the same time? well I just need to make that sound normally and he comes running.

Also I just realised he hasn't eaten his breakfast this morning.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's the little guy doing now? I just saw his pics in fur pictures and he was all friendly and docile (and sooo cute
). I'm confused by his change of behavior. Was he checked out by a vet when you took him in? I hope it isn't anything medical.

Any updates?

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

How's the little guy doing now? I just saw his pics in fur pictures and he was all friendly and docile (and sooo cute
). I'm confused by his change of behavior. Was he checked out by a vet when you took him in? I hope it isn't anything medical.

Any updates?
He has been in and out, more in though. I think something has spooked him.
As you said he was nice and docile, and now this. Even after letting him play with Diego again, if he hears a noise or something. Zoooooom back he goes.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Given the bond he seems to have developed with you, I'd say something scared him and he's just a little unsure of things. If you can pick him up, maybe give him a check over and make sure he's ok.

Has he had a vet check up yet?

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Given the bond he seems to have developed with you, I'd say something scared him and he's just a little unsure of things. If you can pick him up, maybe give him a check over and make sure he's ok.

Has he had a vet check up yet?
Basically took him to the vet the day we found him, (think he got his degree out the weet-bix pack) anyway got home really had bad feeling and sadness, decided to take him to my regular vet (who was closed on Sundays) for a 2nd opinion. Turns out I was right, the first vet gave some wrong advice and meds.

I caught him long enough to give a once over look. Can't detect anything physical. I'm interested to know what spooked him.

Wasn't Neko because he was in a separate room.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

Basically took him to the vet the day we found him, (think he got his degree out the weet-bix pack) anyway got home really had bad feeling and sadness, decided to take him to my regular vet (who was closed on Sundays) for a 2nd opinion. Turns out I was right, the first vet gave some wrong advice and meds.

I caught him long enough to give a once over look. Can't detect anything physical. I'm interested to know what spooked him.

Wasn't Neko because he was in a separate room.
Hmmm very odd then!! I wonder if he tried to wrestle with Diego, and Diego forgot his own strength and just frightened the little guy?

Hope he comes good soon!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Hmmm very odd then!! I wonder if he tried to wrestle with Diego, and Diego forgot his own strength and just frightened the little guy?

Hope he comes good soon!
Not sure Diego had anything to do with it now, coz the 2 of them are getting on very well.
I thought he might be hiding behind there coz the floor behind the washing machine is concrete so thought he is just trying to keep cool.
Yet he still seems spooked, I coaxed him out just before to give him his 2nd to last dose of meds, and his ears flattened, tail went between his legs and his eyes just had a look of unhappiness. I feel bad for him.

I will give it another day or 2 to come right, then I will take him to the vet for another check up in-case something is wrong.

Either him or Diego had an accident yesterday, but since I don't know which one, I can't go to a vet sooner.