Purina One

mygirlmidnight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not one to change foods but my vet said Purina One was a higher quality food than the Purina Cat Chow I had been using so I decided to give it a try. That was about three weeks ago. Maybe it is my imagination, but Midnight's fur seems to be softer and healthier than before. Of course that could be due to her being strictly inside now but still. She alos seems to like it better too.

I'll also feed her Purina Pro Plan canned and sometimes the Friskies canned.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pro Plan is a better choice, but as long as they like it, go with it

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good nutrition makes a noticeable difference in a cats coat. when I got Fang, a former street cat, his fur was like a wire haired terrier. I had no idea it would turn smooth and silky with some good care.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
pro plan is the better of the two but MANY MANY are out there better yet

One is better than Chow .... but still contains things I wont /dont like to feed ... many in the Price of One are better

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Panther pride

Feed Innova EVO or somthing eles of simlar nature, those foods you give your at are to put it blankly...... crap!
I know your trying to help ... but PLEASE be nice about it.. As neither you nor I TRULY know what is best or good

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I wouldn't buy either kind of Purina. But if you really don't want a higher quality food (like Iams, Royal Canin, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul) then go with the Purina One rather then cat chow.

But keep in mind you get what you pay for. Cheaper doesn't wind up cheaper in the long run if your cat has problems with poorer quality foods.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Personally I wouldn't buy either kind of Purina. But if you really don't want a higher quality food (like Iams, Royal Canin, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul) then go with the Purina One rather then cat chow.

But keep in mind you get what you pay for. Cheaper doesn't wind up cheaper in the long run if your cat has problems with poorer quality foods.
Just FYI .... I many case s One has better ingrediants than Iams

dawnycap

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use the purina one - the kitten one in the blue bag (well we will be changing to adult now)

We started using it because of the free coupons - which were out around the time we got her.......so this is all we use now.

Funny you should mention your cat's fur - we took our cat to the vet today for a drooling problem, and she kept saying how soft, shiny and beautiful my cats fur is

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Purina ONE is OK, but it isn't stellar. The huge difference you noticed, it is amazing isn't it? I switched all mine from Purina to "good stuff" a few years ago & it was insane!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to feed Purina One to my two adult cats and Purina One kitten to the kitten. I switched to a higher quality multi-stage food when the kitten started eating the adult food and refused to eat the kitten food. I switched everyone to Innova Evo for dry food. Even though the EVO is more expensive they go through it slower than the Purina so it ends up being cheaper in the long run.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our 3 boys get Purina One also....and I could see a huge difference in their fur and general health within weeks!
Purina One came highly recommened to me by a cat breeder from TCS who raises Bengals. He feeds his own raw recipe to most of his cats, but the ones who won`t eat it he gives Purina One .....and his cats are beautiful...I trust his opinion....and besides...Purina One was NOT on that recall list earlier this year either.
IMHO spending more $ does not always insure a better product.
Purina One IS , as far as I`m concerned, a good quality food (I`m sure there are others out there also) but we have had such positive results that we`re sticking with it.
Linda

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

i don't think ONE is a bad food. when i buy food to donate, i prefer it. the ingredients are decent and there are no dyes. i'm sure the shelter kitties find it yummy.
Slightly off topic /.///

many shelters prefer Purina products since they get "points" for every bag and can get more free food

allie72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Milo & Georgie wouldn't eat Purina One. I have been feeding mine indoor formula Purina. We've been feeding our cats "crappy" brands" since the 70s....my parents cat is 17 years old. Mine are all healthy...Pickles is another story...I didn't raise him.
My Mom put it this way...when she was a child...cats & dogs were given table scraps (meat), there was no such thing a pet food...and lived just as long lives as the ones who eat food that cost $14.99 for 3kg bags now days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mygirlmidnight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the comments. I have had good luck with it, Midnight enjoys it and it is a good quality food, IMHO. The only way I can get ProPlan regularly is online. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find it where I live now unless I make a two hour drive, one way. Even the specialty pet store doesn't sell it. Mainly IAMS and Science diet there. Plus, they also sell dogs and cats. I will not patronize a place that sells pets from byb.

When I wnet to Wichita last weekend though I bought about 12 different flavors of ProPlan canned. Midnight seems to like it when I feed her a little different each day. Tal, my Lab, loves his ProPlan and I can get the ProPlan dog food here. I looked for the ProPlan cat food and didn't find any. When the One runs out I'll check again.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On pet forums we boast about the best quality food out there but have to remember that there are people who only have easy access to pet food in a grocery store. IMHO if your cat's coat is shiny and your cat has great energy levels and clear bright eyes then there really is nothing wrong with what your feeding. These results cannot come from terrible nutrition. It's not possible. Purina Pro-plan chicken and liver formula is my cats favorite canned food but how I wish they would prefer Natural Balance. Regardless they've got the shiny coats and energy levels and their eyes look fantastic.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guys love Purina one. fang and Pansy like the sensitive system, and Spike likes the regular. the three of them are healthy and beautiful. They also eat trader Joe's turkey /giblets. The ingredients of these foods seem to be good quality. I'm sorry but it is what we can afford and they like them. Hey I don't eat fillet mignon and lobster tail every day either.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allie72

Milo & Georgie wouldn't eat Purina One. I have been feeding mine indoor formula Purina. We've been feeding our cats "crappy" brands" since the 70s....my parents cat is 17 years old. Mine are all healthy...Pickles is another story...I didn't raise him.
My Mom put it this way...when she was a child...cats & dogs were given table scraps (meat), there was no such thing a pet food...and lived just as long lives as the ones who eat food that cost $14.99 for 3kg bags now days.
I was raised in NB and we always had barn cats. They too ate only table scraps but I cannot ever remember any of those cats living more than a few years. Mind you my parents were not educated about cat nutrition and since back in those days they didn't even neuter, just let the cats breed and since they didn't live a long life it wasn't any biggie for them. Our cats were never taken to a vet - if they got sick, my dad would kill them. Terrible, but true.

I thank heaven that I am better educated about their needs and my cats do live longer and have a much better quality of life and most definitely are healthier.

I find it amazing that your mom's cats lived as long as the cats that we now feed prepared pet food for because as I say, ours certainly didn't, nor did any of our neighbour cats. Your mom was lucky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mygirlmidnight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by moggiegirl

On pet forums we boast about the best quality food out there but have to remember that there are people who only have easy access to pet food in a grocery store. IMHO if your cat's coat is shiny and your cat has great energy levels and clear bright eyes then there really is nothing wrong with what your feeding. These results cannot come from terrible nutrition. It's not possible. Purina Pro-plan chicken and liver formula is my cats favorite canned food but how I wish they would prefer Natural Balance. Regardless they've got the shiny coats and energy levels and their eyes look fantastic.
That is true. We have a grocery store and Wal Mart. Purina One is the highest quality cat food they carry. Plus my vet recommended it. Midnight likes it and I don't see any reason to change again. My only purpose in the thread was recognizing how much shinier her coat is. Plus she has always had good energy levels, clear, sharp eyes and a sweet disposition. She's made it 10 years or thereabouts with less care and attention and I hope she is around with me another 10 to 15 years. Not sure cats live to be 25 but I'm gonna give it my best shot!