Kitty Nails Question

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright, I got the kitten nail clippers in the grooming set at Target but Angel's nails are flaking? Or splitting? I don't know how to describe it but it's more as flaking than a split. Tiger's doesn't do that though but I'm still wondering if it's the clippers.

And also... Angel puts up a fuss over everything, nail trimming, bathing, brushing... Will conditioning it to her make her more used to it or will she just get agitated at me? Tiger's fine, he's a good boy for the most part.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

Alright, I got the kitten nail clippers in the grooming set at Target but Angel's nails are flaking? Or splitting? I don't know how to describe it but it's more as flaking than a split. Tiger's doesn't do that though but I'm still wondering if it's the clippers.

And also... Angel puts up a fuss over everything, nail trimming, bathing, brushing... Will conditioning it to her make her more used to it or will she just get agitated at me? Tiger's fine, he's a good boy for the most part.
Nail flaking I believe is normal and will just happen as your cat scratches things. It happens to all of my cats.

Have you tried associating the things Angel fusses over with things she likes such as treats/toys?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, even her favorite feather toy. She turns into a little devil, I swear! So much for the name angel... lol.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

Yes, even her favorite feather toy. She turns into a little devil, I swear! So much for the name angel... lol.
Hmm, I don't know then. I have the same problem with Emily. Girls can be very fussy.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

Hmm, I don't know then. I have the same problem with Emily. Girls can be very fussy.
Indeed, Tiger's such a good boy.
He even pukes in the litter box...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the first time I ever clipped Radar's nails and was a bit concerned later when I saw that bits were flaking off - but don't panic, it's just the claw sheath which they usually flake off themselves scratching at things to sharpen up, or sometimes they pull at them with their teeth (Radar does anyway!)

charliefarley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi just a question about nail clipping could not find where to start a question so sorry had to put it here as it is about kitties nails is it ok to take my nearly 8 week old kitten to the groomers before she has had her vacinations 1st one due next week ?
ALSO WHERE DO YOU GET THE GREAT CAT LOGOS FROM ?
many thanks from a newbie.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by charliefarley

Hi just a question about nail clipping could not find where to start a question so sorry had to put it here as it is about kitties nails is it ok to take my nearly 8 week old kitten to the groomers before she has had her vacinations 1st one due next week ?
ALSO WHERE DO YOU GET THE GREAT CAT LOGOS FROM ?
many thanks from a newbie.
I would wait until your kitten has had her second set of boosters (usually about 3 weeks after the first lot) just to be on the safe side - the best groomers will of course have good hygiene standards, but unvaccinated kittens are very susceptible to picking up diseases and IMO it's not worth the risk - the kitten equivalent of parvo can hang around even after cleaning.

If it's just claw trimming you want done, when you take her for her vaccinations, ask the vet to show you how to do it
If you get her used to you doing it yourself when she's small and easy to handle then it shouldn't ever become a difficult task.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of my cat's nails kinda split/flake. They say its cause the clippers are not sharp but I think its how you cut them

If you do it as a routine, once a week, they get more used to things. Ling still doesn't like hers done and she's been having them done since 5 weeks old when we brought them inside to start weaning.

Charlie? He's so good - lays in your lap and sometimes purrs when clipping.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Some of my cat's nails kinda split/flake. They say its cause the clippers are not sharp but I think its how you cut them

If you do it as a routine, once a week, they get more used to things. Ling still doesn't like hers done and she's been having them done since 5 weeks old when we brought them inside to start weaning.

Charlie? He's so good - lays in your lap and sometimes purrs when clipping.
Hmm... we should start a vote on what sex is easier to raise as a cat, boy or girl?
Boys seem to be the easiest with kitty manners.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always voted for adopting a male vs female if given the choice
I've never had a mean boy (neutered or otherwise). But some of the girls I've had are really B's at times

That's why I want another male Ocicat in the future