Cat Fences, Cat Runs, Any experiences with these?

catsread

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've only seen one cat run set up in real life. A guy who had 5 cats had made a cat run in his very large backyard. It had stations (very large cages) with cat trees in them in different areas so the cats go around the yard if the wanted and/or just sit on the perches and watch the birds. The cats stayed protected from other animals - he lived near a ravine so there were lots of raccoons etc. It was very impressive, and the cats seemed to love it. BUT it was also very expensive. I've heard of cat fences - netting that goes on the fence so that the cat can't climb out. Has anyone used either of these? What are your opinions of them? Thanks, Jeanette

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat enclosure. It is off a window so the cats can come and go as they please. It was very inexpensive to build (was free for me, we already had the wood laying around, but I would guess less than $100). It is 6 feet high, 12 feet wide, and 8 feet long. Cats love it!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH wants to buy radio/gps tracking collars as we have too much property to fence.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsread

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Had a look at the cat fence site. It does look good. But so does the enclosure, since it would keep them from being able to attack and kill birds. I like birds too. At the moment my finances are too tight to afford either, but one day.... I wish I could get GPS tracking for all the cats that come around this house - we leave food out for them. Don't know which ones are truly strays - some of them are very friendly, all of them very skinny - or cats that the owners let out to roam. None of the males are neutered, so more homeless kittens on the way. Would like to know which ones could be taken to the Humane Society (we have a no-kill shelter here) to get treated and possibly find a new home. Anyway, thanks again.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

DH wants to buy radio/gps tracking collars as we have too much property to fence.
Is there such a thing? I've always wondered where Rocket goes during the day.