Wellness vs. Chicken Soup

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I have been trying to get PHX off of Purina indoor formula and onto something more nutritional. I had a lot of different samples sent to me to see what PHX liked the best.

Out of all of them PHX DEVOURED the Wellness- Indoor Health.
He also really liked the Chicken Soup... but I wouldn't say quite as much as Wellness.

So now my choice is between the two, which one should I get?

Which one is better?

Which one is cheaper for me to buy? (I don't have A LOT of money)
I called one place about the Wellness and they said that their 40 ounce bag is $13.00 Do you think that is a lot? I'm not sure how much the Chicken Soup is.

What are your thoughts?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
hmmm, let me see-

IMO Wellness is much better than Chicken Soup, as I believe it is grain free? Sharky would know more on that, but i also think that Wellness contains garlic which is a spot of contention for some folks as garlic is not supposed to be good for cats, but I personally feel it is such a miniscule amount that it is not a problem. I also remember reading something where they were taking it out?

Wellness is also A LOT more expensive than CS, think at least 10 bucks a bag more. PHX may eat less of the Wellness though as it has more protein. If you're on a budget, CS can't be beat though. It's a really good food for a really good price, but then i am the unofficial spokesperson for CS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'd really like to pick the cheaper one... I'll probably end up going with CS... even though he prefers the Wellness.

On the sample bag of Wellness that I got it does say it "Contains No: Animal By-products, corn or corn gluten, wheat, soy, artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors."

I didn't see anything in the ingredients about it having garlic.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried both here. If I had to pick either of the two it would be Wellness. The ingredients look better IMO in the Wellness. 13.00 for a 40oz isn't to bad.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wellness removed Garlic( that is consumers thoughts in action
)

I like both for the $$ Chicken soup is great .... Ingrediant and % wise Wellness wins..

Here I can get a 6.6 lb =105 oz bag for about 8 to 11$ for chn soup

Wellness is a 4lb =64 oz is 19 -21$

I would have to choose the chn soup if coming from grocery do to price and ease of getting.... Maybe you could spluge and get Wellness wet ( my girls love it )

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Wellness removed Garlic( that is consumers thoughts in action
)

I like both for the $$ Chicken soup is great .... Ingrediant and % wise Wellness wins..

I would have to choose the chn soup if coming from grocery do to price and ease of getting.... Maybe you could spluge and get Wellness wet ( my girls love it )
just looked at the website and yup! no garlic! I thought I remembered reading something about that. But I was wrong on the grain free, it has rice and barley.

if you have the money, Wellness is great, but I wouldn't feel "guilty" about going with the cheaper CS, it's a very good food, my whole crew does really well on it.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really have the money...that's the problem. If I had the money I wouldn't be worrying which one to get.

I think I'm going with the CS!

Thanks for all of your help!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the budget is a concern I would go with the Chicken Soup.

I bought a bag of Wellness Indoor this summer. My cats liked it for about 2 weeks, then just stopped eating it.
I was pretty ticked as the 4lb bag was $17. They've done that with a few "healthy foods" so we are going back to Nutro Max Adult (chicken flavor). They practically did a dance of joy when I bought it this week.
My cats actually stopped eating Natural Choice too.
I don't know if you can get Nutro Max where you are, but it's pretty economical too. I fed it from 2001 to sometime in 2003 and they did very well on it. After much bouncing around on foods we're just going back to it.

Part of my problem is my cats were raised on some pretty junky stuff before I got them, and about the best I can get them to eat (consistently) is Nutro and Natural Balance (but I'm leary of NB after this spring's events with their foods). We don't have access to Chicken Soup here and even with pet food direct's coupons it's too cost prohibitive to mail order.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

If the budget is a concern I would go with the Chicken Soup.

I bought a bag of Wellness Indoor this summer. My cats liked it for about 2 weeks, then just stopped eating it.
I was pretty ticked as the 4lb bag was $17. They've done that with a few "healthy foods" so we are going back to Nutro Max Adult (chicken flavor). They practically did a dance of joy when I bought it this week.
My cats actually stopped eating Natural Choice too.
I don't know if you can get Nutro Max where you are, but it's pretty economical too. I fed it from 2001 to sometime in 2003 and they did very well on it. After much bouncing around on foods we're just going back to it.

Part of my problem is my cats were raised on some pretty junky stuff before I got them, and about the best I can get them to eat (consistently) is Nutro and Natural Balance (but I'm leary of NB after this spring's events with their foods). We don't have access to Chicken Soup here and even with pet food direct's coupons it's too cost prohibitive to mail order.
Brenna, not sure where you live (other than bikini bottom
) but do you have Pet Supplies Plus where you are? It's the only Pet store that I know of that carries it, and even if they don't carry it they can order it

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Brenna, not sure where you live (other than bikini bottom
) but do you have Pet Supplies Plus where you are? It's the only Pet store that I know of that carries it, and even if they don't carry it they can order it
I'm in Eastern Iowa.
We don't have a Pet Supplies Plus, just Petco and Petsmart. There's a feedstore, but the only unique brands they carry are Merrick and Eagle Pack. I don't like to shop there unless I have to--they sell puppies.
To buy CS I would have to drive 45 minutes to Iowa City, which is just not an option on a regular basis.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm in Eastern Iowa.
We don't have a Pet Supplies Plus, just Petco and Petsmart. There's a feedstore, but the only unique brands they carry are Merrick and Eagle Pack. I don't like to shop there unless I have to--they sell puppies.
To buy CS I would have to drive 45 minutes to Iowa City, which is just not an option on a regular basis.
I wish you would have put in your location that you are from Iowa! I was born and raised there!

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chicken soup is good and kitty's love it. Mine did, but she gained
weight and I thought it was this food. So I started switching around.
For price & quality you can't go wrong. I would go for it.
I seen the small sample bags of Wellness for 2.99 so I bought to try.You just
hate to spend good earned $ on a bag of food and the cat hates it or
only likes it for 2 weeks.
In meantime, I seen where mfg. would send free sample, so I got that too,
plus a coupon 3.00 off a bag. My girl likes the purple bag real well.
Just today, Manufature of Wellness sent me a email stating it was 60 days
since I tried and emailed me another $3.00 coupon off a bag.
So that is nice thing I see, that Wellness is very good on handing out the
coupons and I like that.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I like to keep people on their toes.
I'm in the Quad Cities. Pet store selections really suck here.
I was born in Fort Dodge

You would think that the cities would have good pet stores? I live in Phoenix, AZ area and we have a huge selection.... I'm surprised Des Moines doesn't have a bigger selection??

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

I was born in Fort Dodge

You would think that the cities would have good pet stores? I live in Phoenix, AZ area and we have a huge selection.... I'm surprised Des Moines doesn't have a bigger selection??
I'm on the opposite side of the state...Davenport. Surprisingly Muscatine lists more stores on the various Mfr websites than here.
I don't get it. We're hoping to move to a bigger metropolitan area in the next few years. For vets it's pretty good here, but for pet food options it's not really great.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, I've been to Davenport.

Maybe, a pet store will order a certain brand for you?
I can't help but laugh at that first sentence.
I didn't grow up here, we moved from out of state. I thought it would be more city-like than it is.

In answer to the second, I don't think so. The feed store sells puppies, sometimes kittens and I really hate going there. Don't get me started on the baby mice and gerbils.

The cats are ok with Nutro, so I'm ok with it.
Max costs about the same as CS.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I can't help but laugh at that first sentence.
I didn't grow up here, we moved from out of state. I thought it would be more city-like than it is.
Why are you laughing?

I grew up in a town of 500 people (in Minnesota). Davenport is much more city-like then that village!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Why are you laughing?

I grew up in a town of 500 people (in Minnesota). Davenport is much more city-like then that village!
Your first sentence sounded like the understated "Oh" we get a lot when visiting family.
It's not too bad here, but for the size I thought it would have more city amenities. We lived in Southern California for a year, so everything seems small now.

We have a Petsmart & Petco so I'm happy. I just don't get up to Iowa City enough to switch to food we'd have to get there.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Going off topic for a moment: I drive through Des Moines, Iowa City and Davenport when I go to visit my family in Illinois (from Kansas). I'll wave at ya the next time I pass that way!

I switched mine to Wellness about a month ago and they still really enjoy it. I'm still going OUCH on the price. I have to buy two 12 pound bags with every visit and they last me about 10-12 days.

Good to hear the debate on the topic. If my purse starts hurting too much, then I'll try CS with them.