Venting

levvi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Just got home from the vets with Gracie, she's just over a year old. I adopted her from a shelter. Her history was that she was found during a raid in a very small and very nasty cage
. When I first got her and went to the vet he said her back legs had no muscle tone from being kept in a cage. he said they looked as if she had never been out to run at all, but give it some time and love and hopefully she will build them up. back to today they aren't building up enough, yes she walks and runs but not like the other cats i've had (we've all seen our cats do what I call the cheeta run all stretched out). She also can't meow, the vet says could have been trama. She opens her mouth at me but not even a squeek comes out. I just can't understand how people can be so cruel. I can't imagine doing this to a cat for a day much less 7 months. And it blows me away that after all she went thru she was willing to trust me.Sorry i'm venting some people just make me

tempteq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's just awful. There are way too many stories like this.

You're so great for taking care of her and she's so lucky to have you. I'm sure with your care she'll be in tip top shape in no time!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes you're right to vent; I hate to hear about animal cruelty. I can't understand why people would do this, it makes me cry just thinking about it. You've given that otherwise doomed cat a wonderful home, don't forget that.

chelsinator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's like she knows you helped rescue her. She may end up developing a voice yet though. My little kitten, just over a year also, hardly ever meows just because it's her personality. But because she hardly ever meows, it's not very well-developed. She does the just opening her mouth thing sometimes or meows in a very raspy, squeaky, quiet sort of way. I have noticed it's getting a little stronger. My husband always tries to encourage her to meow when he feeds her. He holds her food out of her reach and talks to her...I think it's working! I hope this helps....

chelsea

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've also had cats who didn't really have a "meow". We had one, Pansy, who the only time we heard her say anything, was one time when her tail got slammed a bit by the screen door! And Puffin rarely meowed either -that's just the way they were. Our cat Eliza didn't meow until she was about 6 months old, so I thought she was another quiet kitty. Then one day she discovered her voice - it was histerical, she wouldn't shut up! But she still has a very small voice - she's more of what I call a "chirper".

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were ever going to be tempted to kill someone, it would be due to animal or child abuse. I would totally "snap" and lose control. I fully understand what you mean.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
aww I'm so glad Gracie found a good home.
Hopefully she will continue to improve with exercise and love. My uncle's cat grew up w/ one missing leg and it didn't seem to bother him. He would jump and do all kinds of things "4-legged" cats did (even though it looked kinda funny). So, Gracie may not ever run like a normal cat, but as long as she's not in pain, she should be fine.
GoOd LuCk!

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pennicat

I've also had cats who didn't really have a "meow". We had one, Pansy, who the only time we heard her say anything, was one time when her tail got slammed a bit by the screen door! And Puffin rarely meowed either -that's just the way they were. Our cat Eliza didn't meow until she was about 6 months old, so I thought she was another quiet kitty. Then one day she discovered her voice - it was histerical, she wouldn't shut up! But she still has a very small voice - she's more of what I call a "chirper".
Ha ha!! Both my cats are VERY vocal (and my mom's cat too, which is kinda funny) and they all have the *funniest* meows. Frisky (my mom's cat) has this raspy meow that tapers off in a squeak. Shermie's is kinda like a howl and Luna, well...I don't really now how to describe hers

chelsinator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat meows all the freakin' time, and always has...infact, I think he meows enough for both cats. However, Lily makes many sounds including a squeaky, raspy meow, depending on the occasion. She chirps when she's near me and excited to see me, but recently started giving the tiniest meow when she lays on me and gets near my face. The only other time she meows is right before she is fed. It just seems like she's so busy purring and chirping, there's not much time for meowing....