Is this normal for a neuter fee??? Im actually shocked I think...

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I was thinking of adopting a new kitty... He needs shots, neuter, etc... I usually take my kitties to a VCA vet clinic (muy expenisve) anyways I called to get some pricing and they said a male neuter would cost me $275 and up... Is this right. My bf told me he payed like $75 for his kitty to get neutered (this was back in 01 though).... Should I look around for other pricing? They did say that a microchip would be included but the price may go up.... I need to do more research and price comparison but I was actually shocked by that... I figured maybe $200 at the most... Ive never had to pay for my kitties neuters/spay because they were already done by the time I adopted them!!!

Any suggestions or is this an accurate price???

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats alot of $$$$
When I got Bakker from a rescue group in Berlin, WI I took him to my Fox Valley vet clinic and I paid no more than $100. (not counting the ringworm problem!)
I would call local animal shelter and get some vet names and call around.

princess-pickle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it's about £40-50 here, so that's approx. $100! Wow, it's so expensive. I didn't realise before...

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that WAY high too. Considering it's much easier to spay a male that it is to neuter a female I'm astonished! I took Wickett to a place called the Neuter Scooter (low cot N/S service and a few other services) and it cost me something like $50 for his spay, first round of shots and a NS tattoo on his ear. I'd definatly shop around a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah that is insane as can be... She said it starts at $275 and goes up... Its the one in Waukesha... VCA (I dont know if the certified makes them more expensive)...

Kitty would need 2 (maybe 3) distemper shots, rabies shot, fiv testing, and feline leukemia... Here is the price breakdown she gave me..

Each office visit is - $86.58 if a vaccine is included (otherwise its $50 something)

Feline Leukemia - $31.50
FIV testing - $56.80
Neuter - $275 + w/ microchip
Distemper - $18.35 a piece plus an additional $12.70 each time I would bring him in just for the vaccination
Rabies - $18.30

So I would be looking at at least $600 for all that and the office visit charges... Hmmmm!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like an idiot, I had all these links to low-cost vet clinics (neuters/spay/shots/etc) and I erased it on accident out of email... Ahhh I dont know where to start. Ill have to call around, that is flippin nuts!!!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow seems high to me. It only costed me $40 to get Ping neutered and that was not with any low cost program. I would call around. I had to go outside of my county to get it done.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our male cats cost $45 each (A female is $65) around here in lower MI
I`d sure look around. I would`nt want to support such highway robbery!
Linda

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone wants to help me find some places
feel free... Im researching now... I live close to Milwaukee, WI! Gosh Im still in shock, really!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Yeah that is insane as can be... She said it starts at $275 and goes up... Its the one in Waukesha... VCA (I dont know if the certified makes them more expensive)...

Kitty would need 2 (maybe 3) distemper shots, rabies shot, fiv testing, and feline leukemia... Here is the price breakdown she gave me..

Each office visit is - $86.58 if a vaccine is included (otherwise its $50 something)

Feline Leukemia - $31.50
FIV testing - $56.80
Neuter - $275 + w/ microchip
Distemper - $18.35 a piece plus an additional $12.70 each time I would bring him in just for the vaccination
Rabies - $18.30

So I would be looking at at least $600 for all that and the office visit charges... Hmmmm!
Wow! That is up there! You really do have to "shop" around per say because we have a similar situation here in our town. My parents have been going to the same vet for years so when I adopted 3 years ago I figured I would continue with their vet that they use and transfer my current cat to them until I found out the cost of spaying. They told me $300 and up for the spay! Thing is, they have recently switched ownership from a family business to another owner and prices have skyrocketed. Classic case of a vet just out for the money now. Everyone in town is switching to other local vets and that's the complaint from everyone. It's very sad to see.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love you sofiecusion... For $165 I can get him neutered, rabies shot, distemper shot, stool testing, and initial exam... The prices are going up in 2 weeks but if I bring him in next week (and if he needs to wait to be neutered) they will still give me that price... Not to mention they make a payment plan for you... the $165 is divided into 2 payments... Yay, I think I can get the kitty... Gotta tell the bf!!!

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In NJ it was 140(100 for neuter and 40 for bloodwork) in 97 at a regular vet. Now when I called after getting first kitten(early 97 they gave me a breakdown of 3 40$ office visits and 20 on top of that for 3 series of shots. so that was 180+140 so 320 was my neuter quote as they would not do shots on same day of surgery had to have 3 office visits spaced 2 weeks apart.
Now that lasted two neuters when I got a cat spur of the moment I looked in phone book planning to call every vet in area. As I was highlighting I noticed a spay clinic, called and they were like 45 $ for everything in 98. So since then I stopped using the regular vets except for sick care.
Good luck finding a lower cost option.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet charges $40 for a neuter, $55 for vaccinations which include the 4way, Leukemia, and rabies. $35 for a microchip, and $32 for the Leukemia/FIv testing together.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats ridiculously expensive. In NZ it cost $120 To have Neko neutered, chipped, vacc'd and wormed.

But in Japan it is quite pricey. It's between $100 - $150 Neuter and $200-$300 Spay.

Each Vacc costs $50, no idea what a micro chip would cost.

But still yours sounds very expensive.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

My vet charges $40 for a neuter, $55 for vaccinations which include the 4way, Leukemia, and rabies. $35 for a microchip, and $32 for the Leukemia/FIv testing together.
Wow that is amazing... When I talked to the lady on the phone and told her what my other vet charged, she agreed that it was crazy... I like that they have a package deal... Sure it isnt cheap but its $100 less than my normal vet and I will be getting his rabies, distemper, stool, and exam fee within that cost... I was going to have to pay $275 on up just to have the neuter at my original vet... Ehhh and the lady at my original vet asked "would you like us to declaw him too?" like it is no big deal... I said um no no no... I cant believe they offered it so freely, the other lady didnt even bring it up as an option to me
Which I like!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Holy shnikeys!!! that is so expensive
there's a clinic up near Cleveland that charges like $35 for a male neuter plus maybe $15 for shots!

also, this is JMO, but i do not recommend the leukemia vaccine if your kitty is totally indoors and you don't do rescue work. It's only about 85% effective and to me that is as good as non-effective

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Holy shnikeys!!! that is so expensive
there's a clinic up near Cleveland that charges like $35 for a male neuter plus maybe $15 for shots!

also, this is JMO, but i do not recommend the leukemia vaccine if your kitty is totally indoors and you don't do rescue work. It's only about 85% effective and to me that is as good as non-effective
Is this true??? What is everyones take on this??? Do you mean you dont need the FIV test??? All my kitties are indoor only... Not outsiders by any means!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's WAY to much money.
Just this past November it cost us $50 to have Elliott neutered, $25 for all of his shots and tapeworm medication...he was a stray so he needed everything...and another $25 for ALL testing.
So it was $100 for everything.
That was at our regular Vets office.