Eeek! Show/birthing dilemma!

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't believe the timing! I bought a gorgeous big queen to use as my foundation girl when I picked up my kittens.
I have been quite excited about my little boy Kong and we have everything all arranged to show in Lancaster, PA, on Aug 18-19.
The big queen had been bred but I didn't know if she had taken or anything-the breeding, if successful, would have occurred on the same day I picked her up.
It appears she is definitely pregnant now-which is very exciting, but now I have a HUGE issue-she was bred on June 14. 65 days puts her due date as August 18, the weekend of Kong's debut show!
Crud. What to do? The cattery she came from says she has easy deliveries and has never needed help in the past but dang-two days alone right at labor time-i just don't know. My neighbors are here to check on them all twice a day but that's not the same...
What would you breeders do? I really want to go to the show. But I have to do what's best for the big girl too.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have someone that could be home just in case? The only problem I see is if you show, then you should be sure the show cat doesn't come in contact with the newborn kittens. You don't want to bring something home.

I know other breeders have had newborn kittens in the house and still show - usually they do one of two things: (1) have an agent (or other show person) show the cat for them that weekend and they stay home; or (2) they show the cat and have someone at home with the birth.

Hope everything turns out for showing and birthing

With my one rex queen I had to be right there or she would not deliver the kittens cause I had to cut cords on every litter.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would get an agent to show for me and stay home with the new girl - simply because she's new and I'd rather have someone "familiar" around her than not. I'd still do both though!

lynsgems

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would be home with my girl. If you know someone else going to the show, they could show your boy for you. There will be other shows if you don't make it to this one with your boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I don't know anyone going to the show.
(Imagine Donkey from Shrek singing "I'm all alone, there's no here to guide me....")
I really hate to leave her. But I don't want to fall into being a breeder who never shows and i feel like if I miss this first one I may never get back on the horse.
Weird.

lynsgems

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will this be your first show? Were you going to go by yourself or did you have someone that was going to be there to help you? Have you sent in your entry already? If not, then I would just send in the entry for the next show. We all run into these things - I know I have. If you just make up your mind that you will show your boy, then I'm sure you'll follow through. Decisions are tough, but you might feel better by staying with your girl. You just never know what might happen if your girl does have her babies that weekend. Unless you have another breeder/vet tech close that might keep her for you that weekend, be on "baby watch" for you, and be able to make a decision if something happens and a vet is needed, I would stay home.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you from? There are tons of people here on TCS who show and go to shows. Maybe you could get someone to take your boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have reserved a hotel room, paid for the cage and entry fees, added pricey special beading to my cage curtains and planned for the addition of my two kiddos under 2 years old! So there ya have it.
If anyone here is going and plans to drive through hampron roads, virginia and wants the role of "agent-bengal shower" you can PM me. I've got a room .2 miles from the show hall you can have!
It will be a big decision for me. I don't get out much and this was my "vacation".

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not that its any help now, but I'd be agent for you if I still lived on the east coast. Can you call your vet and ask if one of the techs is willing to babysit your female at your home for the weekend?

BTW they almost NEVER give birth on a due date
if its any kind of consulation

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Not that its any help now, but I'd be agent for you if I still lived on the east coast. Can you call your vet and ask if one of the techs is willing to babysit your female at your home for the weekend?

BTW they almost NEVER give birth on a due date
if its any kind of consulation
That's a GREAT idea!