Got censored here. Was this a "BAD" word???

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I posted and used the 4 letter word that we use in the US to refer to our refrigerators (minus the first 2 and last 7 letters....can`t say it or I`ll get censered like I did last night)
Just wondering.......Is that a BAD WORD??? (I admit that I`m am getting older and I know the younger generations slang words change ...so maybe my "education" on what is "new" in the "slang-words-department" is lacking.)
Linda

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

If it's the work that rhymes with "dig" then yeah, it's censored
Really? thats interesting coz last week I came across a thread that used the 3 letter word for donkey plus hole together. I never folloed up to see what happened though. Thought it must be ok.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

Really? thats interesting coz last week I came across a thread that used the 3 letter word for donkey plus hole together. I never folloed up to see what happened though. Thought it must be ok.
Ask a mod about it...I'm clueless anymore

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your spelling of the word is off
The word you were trying to use is "fridge" (don't ask me where the "d" came from!) I do see on the Merrium-Webster site that the way you spelled it is acceptable as an alternate spelling, but it's also a substitute for another very common 4-letter word that starts with an "f" - I'm thinking you can guess what word that is!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pennicat

Your spelling of the word is off
The word you were trying to use is "fridge" (don't ask me where the "d" came from!) I do see on the Merrium-Webster site that the way you spelled it is acceptable as an alternate spelling, but it's also a substitute for another very common 4-letter word that starts with an "f" - I'm thinking you can guess what word that is!
Oh...now I "get it" ! The "i" in the word i used sounds like "e" when you use it as a swear word....right? I have heard that word used before when the neighbors were fighting , only they put an "ing" on the end of it. I could tell by the way they were talking that it was meant to be a swear word....but did`nt know what it meant. I`ll try to remember to put the "d" in it the next time I write the word.
So "friDge" is an OK word on here then, right???
LOL
Linda

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it`s not that I`d really want to use the word.....I just did`nt realize there was a "D" in it when you`re writting "fridge" or "refridgerator".....I never was too great in spelling.....and as you can see....I spell em like they sound...and I DO NOT "hear" the "D" in "friDge"....do any of you????
Guess I got a sexual education PLUS a spelling lesson this morning!!!
Linda

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

Really? thats interesting coz last week I came across a thread that used the 3 letter word for donkey plus hole together. I never followed up to see what happened though. Thought it must be ok.
Apparently that's OK in North America. So is "fanny" not that I ever use it!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

Well it`s not that I`d really want to use the word.....I just did`nt realize there was a "D" in it when you`re writting "fridge" or "refridgerator".....I never was too great in spelling.....and as you can see....I spell em like they sound...and I DO NOT "hear" the "D" in "friDge"....do any of you????
Guess I got a sexual education PLUS a spelling lesson this morning!!!
Linda
Allow me to confuse you more.
When you shorten the word "refrigerator" you add the "D", i.e., "fridge". There isn't actually a "D" in the original full length word. To continue the spelling lesson,
writing has only 1 "T". Sorry, I couldn't resist teasing you.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Allow me to confuse you more.
When you shorten the word "refrigerator" you add the "D", i.e., "fridge". There isn't actually a "D" in the original full length word. To continue the spelling lesson,
writing has only 1 "T". Sorry, I couldn't resist teasing you.
WHY then does it have a "D" when you shorten the word???
It`s OK if you tease me for my spelling....I KNOW it`s bad!
I think the English language (sp?) is WIERD! So many words are spelled NOT like they sound.
If I ever write anything and you don`t recognize the word....just sound it out, out loud, the way I spelled it and " U-L no wat im sa-in" (Go figure that one out!) :-)
Linda

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stampit3d

WHY then does it have a "D" when you shorten the word???
It`s OK if you tease me for my spelling....I KNOW it`s bad!
I think the English language (sp?) is WIERD! So many words are spelled NOT like they sound.
If I ever write anything and you don`t recognize the word....just sound it out, out loud, the way I spelled it and " U-L no wat im sa-in" (Go figure that one out!) :-)
Linda
Having tutored ESL students, trust me, it's more difficult and frustrating for them to learn it all as a second language.

I've always been a good speller (although I don't type as well as I spell, and sometimes oopsies get through... but I spellcheck myself), and I'm a writer (you can always tell here because most of my posts tend to be rather ... ahem ... lengthy). Being one of those a*al-retentive spellers, I tend to twitch uncontrollably when people post on boards (not just here) and in emails mispelling words right and left... esp. when they use 'net slang spellings (like what you used above, which translates to: 'You all know what I'm saying.') I agree it has it's place, like when you're texting on your cell phone... but on message boards and emails, you don't typically have length restrictions...

I understand not everyone, even those who grew up using English as their primary language, remembers the rules and all. There are a lot of oddities about our language. But one thing I do is if I know there are different spellings of something that change the meaning, I look it up.

I know i can't do anything about the deliberate mispellers... but sometimes, I feel like joining the Grammar Police.
(Do you see that stuff in books? Not last I checked... oh well)

Okay, off to work now... I really gotta wake up. (yes, I know 'gotta' is slang, but it's been around longer and is more accepted and readable)

A.

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I couldn't imagine trying to learn English as a 2nd language. So many words sound the same, but are spelled differently and have different meanings. Then you get into all of the slang. It would be a nightmare to me!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always shortened it to fridge with no problems. Maybe we put the "d" in as a variation of the word "frigid"?????

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Somehow in my brain, I do hear the D in fridge. If it were spelled without the D I would see it pronounced as freeg (hard G), so the D makes it a soft I and soft G.

BTW, yes, I was an English major in college, and loved linguistics.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It rhymes with 'edge' though. It's an affricate- actually two sounds mushed together in English, a d-sound and a j-sound. In the longer 'refrigerator' all you usually say is just the 'j' sound, though I wouldn't say it's uncommon to hear it with a 'd' in there as well.

My guess is people just thought fridge with no d looks weird.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I am proud to say that I got that word censored
The censored word is defined as Trout's evil sister's poo that is currently being held by the devil. Thus making it a cuss word
OK yes I'm bored at work.

Originally Posted by valanhb

Somehow in my brain, I do hear the D in fridge. If it were spelled without the D I would see it pronounced as freeg (hard G), so the D makes it a soft I and soft G.

BTW, yes, I was an English major in college, and loved linguistics.
I hear the "d" also, but I'm not a linguistics major. Probably similar to how some say FebRUary and others say "FebUary"

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I am proud to say that I got that word censored
The second I read the first post I thought "Really? I've seen Nat use that a bunch of times."