HELP!!! Spilling the water bowl!!!

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my! My dear sweet Sebastian has some weird thing with the water bowl. I am on my 4th different shape or type of water bowl. Currently I have the little bowl that has a small 2 quart tank feeding into it so they don't run out in case he does splash a little out. The first day I had it though I came home to 2 quarts of water all over the floor! I don't fill it up all the way now because I thought maybe the topheaviness made it easy for him to pull it over.

What he's doing is he'll sneak up on the bowl and swat it as hard as he can with his paw. It's almost like he's scared of it for some reason, but he'll sit there sometimes and lap and drink. I am just worried that he's not drinking enough water, and he spills it so much that I arrive home and have no idea how long they've had no water.

Any advice on what I should do about this? Thanks!!!

anmccleod

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just naturally fascinated by water, I would try getting a weighted metal bowl (like one used for dogs).

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Yeah, have you tried using those bowls meant for puppies that are kind of wider at the bottom than on the top? Kinda like a lampshade shape I guess... they're meant to be kept from spilling over... lemme see if I can find a link to one...

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe a water fountain.... they're pretty heavy and he'd have a blast playing with it AND drinking from it.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by greenvillegal

Oh my!

What he's doing is he'll sneak up on the bowl and swat it as hard as he can with his paw. It's almost like he's scared of it for some reason, but he'll sit there sometimes and lap and drink. I am just worried that he's not drinking enough water, and he spills it so much that I arrive home and have no idea how long they've had no water.
My sophie was doing the same thing for about two months.....he'd actually FLIP the water bowl upside down (he's a tough little bodybuilder)...hasn't happened since we moved, but I don't see it not happening any more.

As soon as Sophie (when he hits six months, due to EVERY vet's policy around here), Lily and her babies are all fixed, we're going to get some water fountains.

I've read a lot on here that it helps cats drink a lot more water, and my friend Ali just recently bought one her cat ADORES!!!

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seamus does that all the time... he would spill the little bowl when I first got him as a kitten, then I tried the tank figuring it's heavy and eventually I was coming home to a mess daily... he was wetting the food and it was becoming such a waste of food... thought I solved the problem with a bowl that's a bit heavier... because he hasn't spilled a lot in a while... but he's started up again... sometimes I think he does it to clean the floor around the bowl when he's done eating because he shifts everything around and "neatens" up the area... I'm tempted to by a new and even heavier bowl, but I'm pretty sure he'll find a way to get at least some water on the floor

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow thanks everyone!

I have tried the bowl that is specially shaped, I think it was too small, he'd just splash all of the water out.

A fountain I would love to get but it's my last resort because I am afraid of leaving it running and unattended while I'm at work all day, and I am worried about cleaning and maintenance. But, I think I should try to find the best brand because I know my boys would love it.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good kitty fountain?

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gah, it just seems like he'll never stop! He swats the bowl as hard as he can! There's just water everywhere, and it's not that I mind throwing a couple paper towels down to sop it up, I just worry that if I'm gone for a while they won't have any water to drink because Sebastian's spilled it all!

lovemyboys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one cat plays in the water, but also rinses his feet in the bowl after he goes to the bathroom. I have a running fountain and only plug it in when I am at home. I dont like leaving it running when I am not home either. I had to stop using it, I am trying to see what is causing another cats chin problems, so I pulled it for awhile.

THe one cat splashes and I always have puddles of water everywhere and just keep filling it up.. I dont have a cure, just letting you know it happens quite a bit lol

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hahahahahahha! So I'm not the only one with a looney cat.

I've had the Drinkwell Platinum Fountain since February and both of my cats love it. They drinks soo much more water now.

About a month ago I noticed that water was all over the floor near the fountain and assumed it was leaking. I called the company to let them know the situation and they said that the reservoir tank was shown to let air in from the seam causing the bowl to overflow. They sent me a replacement reservoir and I figured that was that.

A few days went by and I was very happy b/c there was no water on the floor.

Just as I figured the problem was solved, there was water on the floor again. I called the company and they said to make sure the fountain was on a level surface and to call them back if the problem persisted.

So I made sure it was on a level surface. A few days went by without water everywhere and I thought, great, guess they were right.

Oh right!! So one night last week my boyfriend calls me into the bedroom, "Come quick. Hurry." And I see my little Merlynn in the bowl splashing water everywhere!! She had both paws in the bowl and she was going to town.

It is funny and I guess she is entertained...but I wish she'd stop. When I catch her and say "no" and she immediately walks away but I don't do it consistently for fear that she will learn to stay away from the fountain. So now I just check the tank to make sure it's full every other day or so.

Nutty cats!!

Good luck.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in that same spot! I want to say "no no!" but I'm afraid he'll start being afraid of going near it. I try to distract him when I catch him by throwing a cat toy. I have been considering a pet fountain and am glad to see a couple people here have bought the Drinkwells. Sometimes it's hard to get a feel for it by reading online reviews. One problem is I feel uneasy leaving it on all day. Is it something I need to worry about shorting out and causing a fire or anything?

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by greenvillegal

I am in that same spot! I want to say "no no!" but I'm afraid he'll start being afraid of going near it. I try to distract him when I catch him by throwing a cat toy. I have been considering a pet fountain and am glad to see a couple people here have bought the Drinkwells. Sometimes it's hard to get a feel for it by reading online reviews. One problem is I feel uneasy leaving it on all day. Is it something I need to worry about shorting out and causing a fire or anything?
I haven't had any problems with it on all day. The plug gets warm but not hot. It's been on 24 hrs/day since Feb. and no problems here. The only problem you would have is if the water runs out and the motor is still running. It will overheat if this happens. But with the larger tank on the platinum, I don't have that issue.

Well...except for the fact that Merlynn plays "cover the floor with water." Oh well.