Oscar the cat

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am convinced that some animals really do sense things....maybe dogs even more than cats....but I know one time when I was feeling really "down" about something Toby (one of our cats)jumped up on me, looked me directly in the eyes and walked up me, laid down on my chest and put both front paws , one on each of my cheeks as if to brush the tears away. (And this behavior is not common for him) I truly do think he "felt" my grief ....and no one can convince me otherwise.
Linda

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Stamp, my Pearl does the same thing, and sometimes Clyde does, too. Just today, I had to go lie down with abdominal pain from a bad breakfast. Pearl normally makes biscuits on my chest and falls asleep there, but today, she made verrrrry gentle biscuits on my stomach and curled up there instead.

You're right... they do know. And the sweetest thing is, they care!

benthicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's really amazing...I wonder what makes him stay with the person.

My older cat has done the same thing, though, as what stampit brought up.. noticing when I'm upset and acting appropriately. When i was a teen that's what really endeared her to me.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Animals can definitely sense some things. I saw on tv a story about a dog that could sense when his owner was going to have a seizure (he is epiliptic) and having the dog around constantly has allowed the person to have a normal life. Before, there were a lot of things he was afraid to do, but the do can sense them early enough so he can get somewhere where he would be safe when it came on. Experts said it was very possible the dog was picking up on disturbances in the electrical impulses in his brain, even before his brain noticed and reacted...or something like that. Very interesting.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha! Just saw the article in the New England Journal of Medicine!
I really hope that the medical community begins to fully realize how much animals can contribute to healing and patient care
(instead of just using them for animal testing!)
Here's the original article as it appears in the journal:

A Day in the Life of Oscar the Cat

David M. Dosa, M.D., M.P.H.
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/357/4/328

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all of the above. I mean they're training dogs to detect cancer by smell (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in665263.shtml) so I don't see why it couldn't be something similar with this cat.

But its like I said in the other thread today. I was sick like crazy for the past couple of days with what turned out to be a cold or a flu or something like that. Today DH comes home early from work because he caught my cold and curled up in bed with 102.4 fever. Tryon - who never cuddles, EVER - curled up next to him in bed and slept there with him the whole afternoon. She didn't even leave his side when he moved to the couch and now they're curled up together watching a movie. I can't even begin to explain how uncharacteristic this is of her. Usually she only comes down off the top of the kitchen cabinets for food. She hasn't been up there all day.

They just know.

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's amazing how animals can sense things. Frisco also senses when I'm down, injured or sick, and tries to comfort me by purring and curling up beside me... Life wouldn't be the same without animal companions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oscar has also provided companionship to those who would otherwise have died alone.
This line made me tear up.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

angi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the process of moving from So. CA to So. WI!!
Saw this on my local news tonight. My bf said, "See that's why I'm a dog person!"

I think that many animals are so much smarter than people give them credit for. Animals know so much, & don't get the credit they deserve from too many people.

It's so sweet to hear that he was there for people who would have been alone if he wasn't there.

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i heard about this on the radio news report, and I am not surprised. I think many animals can sense something along this line. And it does a world of good, cause if the person has no one available, they do not pass alone. Kudoes to the health team for noticing this.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I shuffle off this mortal plain into the next I pray that I have the honor of a kitty like Oscar to help me pass.

He is a gift to us.