Co worker question - what do you do?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Part of this is computer talk and I tried to keep it basic talk so no one's eyes started to glaze over after the second paragraph

I had the last two days off from work and basqued in air and sun of the lovely northern Michigan.
When I came back today, there was drama based on one incident that occurred while I was gone. I had locked down a user's rights to his business computer in order to help me troubleshoot what happens to the computer. He's one of the coworkers I'll go out to lunch with on a regular basis.

Anyway, one report is that while I was gone he tried to get his access reversed so that he had full rights to his computer. This source (who was one of my backups while gone, I'll call him BU) is known for blowing things out of proportion. BU came over and was going through the user accounts and BU2 (my second backup) got called him. BU2 updated BU on the new rights for everyone (right now its certain people).

Well Lunch Buddy, LB, had an opposite story. He said that he just called BU over because he wanted to save a file somewhere on his computer that was telling him he can't. He said that he just had a simple question that needed that didn't need drama. He also said that BU was telling LB never to me touch his computer or fix it because it took me 3 months to fix his computer (umm that's a completely different story and I have written information bugging him to make a decision for 3 months). anyhoo, LB went on saying that BU was complaining about all the software I had loaded and what crap it is and he doesn't understand why I made myself an administrator to the computer, etc etc.

BU2's story reflected that of BU's original story. BU2 said that LB was the one throwing a fit about not having access to his computer and how he was going to talk to his boss about it (who is my boss also).

Now what would you do? This is part of my dilemma being the only IT person on staff. There is no one else at my level that I can "be myself" with. I basicaly have to be nice to everyone and politically I can't accuse people of lying and such. Besides I'm the type of person that understands that there are 3 sides to every story, Person A's version, Person B's version and then the truth somewhere inbetween.

For personal ethics, I really have a problem with people that try to pull the hood over my head. I don't like people insisting that they're version is right. IMO I wasn't there so I really don't know who is right. Plus a part of me, even though likes going out to lunch with LB and some other people, lately I just don't want to. This is an example of why...I just don't like to play favorites or make people think that they'll get special treatment from me if I hang out with them (i.e. new computer, any gadget they want, etc).

So *phew* that was long winded, what would you do or what is your opinion?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
okay, my question is, what kind of action or decision do you have to make in this situation? if there is nothing to be done, then I'd just let it all blow over and ignore both of their stories as it really doesn't make any difference. f you do have to make a decision/take action, then can you specifiy what exactly that is for me?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No decision specifically. More or less I guess I'm getting into that "I shouldn't talk to anyone else unless they're IT" mode.

There's a whole book I could right about what goes on here. I won't go into that though. Basically I guess my question is moral based: could you still hang out with someone at work that you suspect may have lied to you?

Maybe I'm blowing the whole thing out of proportion?
I could also be trying to add the chalk mark onthe wall for reasons of wanting to leave.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you should just stop hanging out with someone because you 'think' they may have lied. Without proof, it's hard to be 100% sure of this.

I always try to keep business and personal seperate. If I'm hanging out with someone that I work with on my free time, then I try not to talk about work unless at work of course. I try not to play favorites at work, and don't talk about anyone behind anyone's back- ever!

I know it's difficult sometimes at work... but it well get better!

Good luck!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
okay, my honest opinion is that he really didn't "lie" at least why I think as lying, i think he realized that he acted like a doofus and was trying to cover his bootay so you wouldn't think he was a spaz
given that BU is given to dramatics, maybe LB thought you would think his story was overblown. I wouldn't necessarily stop going out to lunch with him, but I think you're definitely doing the right thing by leaving work topics off the lunch table and of course not talking behind someone's back is ALWAYS a good business move
and I don't dsoubt at all you're looking for more reasons to get out of there, from what you've said in the past, this place is a trip!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that no one is really lying, just emphasizing their version? We have a really small office and no "IT" person. We hire one as needed. Every time someone new comes in they remark about what the previous one has done to our computers. I think that some know more than others and they all have their own ways of doing things. I don't think they were trying to bad-mouth each other though.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

okay, my honest opinion is that he really didn't "lie" at least why I think as lying, i think he realized that he acted like a doofus and was trying to cover his bootay so you wouldn't think he was a spaz
given that BU is given to dramatics, maybe LB thought you would think his story was overblown. I wouldn't necessarily stop going out to lunch with him, but I think you're definitely doing the right thing by leaving work topics off the lunch table and of course not talking behind someone's back is ALWAYS a good business move
and I don't dsoubt at all you're looking for more reasons to get out of there, from what you've said in the past, this place is a trip!
I totally agree with that! I think you should still have him as your LB and just keep the rest going as work stuff, and just let it be. Do still add it as one of the "reasons to go" for the future so you know you make the right decision down the road.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK I'm better about it. I think my main issue wasn't necessarily the situation and whether or not LB lied or BU lied, cause I wasn't there so I couldn't make an assessment.

I think it was more the drama that engulfed my first day back from vacation. I was all dreamy and happy about picking a ceremony and reception place as well as a date, then the whiny brats just killed it.

You guys are the bestest
I really just need to stop making quick judgments. I have trust issues personally.

*sigh*

The good news is that I've heard back from a recruiter regarding a few jobs that I was referred to.

I need another vacation....