F1 Bengal Girl

rare1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just picked up our new girl Ebi last night. We are keeping her as a pet as we signed a spay agreement. I noticed a kink in her tail and wanted to know if there was any way to tell if this was from an accident or genetic.

We took her to the vet today and they said she has a minor respiratory infection, and her stool was quite soft. They also mentioned she was under weight (she was the runt of the litter) and her intestines felt a little hard.

We did pay a good amount for her and I am having anxiety that she may not be in the best shape. She has been crying for 24 hours straight, but I did get some nice head butts this morning.

I just wanted to see what you breeders would do in this situation.

Thanks,

Brad

Video:
You can see the kink near the base of her tail.

Pictures for fun...

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry I can't answer your question, but Ebi is gorgeous!

Someone who knows more should be along shortly.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You REALLY need to contact your breeder about the issues your kitten is having.
The kinked tail is just a minor cosmetic fault, nothing to be very worried about. Her weight is a bigger concern. How old is she? How much does she weigh now?

Soft stools are ok, so long as it's not watery loose stools. More than likely this is diet related.

The URI is fairly common place for young kittens, but your breeder should have advised you to her condition and not let her go to your home until she had over come it. Maybe it's on the mend now, that's why your Vet said it's minor.

She's a cute kitten. The crying you've experienced for the last 24 hours, is her missing her previous home. She'll become accustomed to you shortly and get over the constant yowling. Keep in mind that F1's will be very vocal and very loud......it's in their nature.

I hope you've done your homework on these cats. They aren't your run of the mill bengal. This is a very special animal which will bond extremely close to you. You're very lucky to own one of these foundations. She will bring you much joy and amaze you with her intelligence.

Hope you enjoy every minute of it.....congrats!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You got a F ONE Bengal? That means its 1/2 Bengal and 1/2 ALC! Are you sure that is right?

Sounds to me like the breeder was not a good one if the kitten had that much wrong with it. How old is this kitten?

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about breeding, but she sure is a cutie!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cute girl ... But I echo the concerns ... an F1 is basically a 50% wild blood and in many area s considered a wild animal and require a permit to keep

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

Just watched & listened to the video. I do encourage you to NOT use a squirt bottle....if you accidentally get water into a cats ears/eyes you can cause an infection which can not only affect sight/hearing...but it can also be costly to treat.

I know nothing about Bengals, except F1 is very close to the "original" two breeds....and very wild cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rare1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

You REALLY need to contact your breeder about the issues your kitten is having.
The kinked tail is just a minor cosmetic fault, nothing to be very worried about. Her weight is a bigger concern. How old is she? How much does she weigh now?

Soft stools are ok, so long as it's not watery loose stools. More than likely this is diet related.

The URI is fairly common place for young kittens, but your breeder should have advised you to her condition and not let her go to your home until she had over come it. Maybe it's on the mend now, that's why your Vet said it's minor.

She's a cute kitten. The crying you've experienced for the last 24 hours, is her missing her previous home. She'll become accustomed to you shortly and get over the constant yowling. Keep in mind that F1's will be very vocal and very loud......it's in their nature.

I hope you've done your homework on these cats. They aren't your run of the mill bengal. This is a very special animal which will bond extremely close to you. You're very lucky to own one of these foundations. She will bring you much joy and amaze you with her intelligence.

Hope you enjoy every minute of it.....congrats!
Thanks a lot Kai, I have been reading your posts for a while and respect your knowledge greatly.

To answer your questions:

She is 10 weeks old and weighs 2lbs. Looks to be about .5lbs under weight.

I talked to the breeder last night and it looks like my vet might be over cautious. Ebi was always the runt compared to her brother and sisters.

She had Strongid at 4-6-8 weeks and she was on Clavamox for 5 days. Her stools were tested 3 times for parasites.

I will just think of the tail as added personality.

As for her being an F1, yes her father was an ALC and her mother was an f4 or f5.

She may be 50% wild....but she is 100% love monster. She bonded to us within 12 hours. We have her in the bathroom untill her cold is gone, we have a 6 year old bengal as well and we dont want here to get sick. When I go in there for morning play time, she gets so excited and leaps from the counter onto my chest. She then proceeds to rub my chin, give many many head butts or love and mew in my ear! Here are some pics from last night.

She is still crying, but for shorter bouts.

rare1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some more videos:

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's gorgeous! and I'm glad to hear you have another bengal already. I think the early generation cats should only be kept by people who really know what they're getting themselves into and having lots of exposure to "normal" bengals is definately a part of that.

rare1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

She's gorgeous! and I'm glad to hear you have another bengal already. I think the early generation cats should only be kept by people who really know what they're getting themselves into and having lots of exposure to "normal" bengals is definately a part of that.
Yes we are very excited to have her, I work during the day so I spend an hour in the morning with her and many hours at night.

My fiance only works a couple hours a day, so she covers the rest of the day. It is amazing how socialized she is for an f1 baby. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference from an SBT.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think she's absolutely gorgeous. Seeing her, makes me wish I could have a F1 or F2 Bengal. I think an early generation Bengal would get along great with my SBT Bengal Simba, because he's so full of energy. Although, I don't know how well a Bengal of that generation would get along with my Siamese cats.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my she is SO cute!!!! I love her meows - don't know if you can call that sound a meow though
Can't wait to see more pics of her, and more videos - and of course of your other kitty as well!!

rare1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Oh my she is SO cute!!!! I love her meows - don't know if you can call that sound a meow though
Can't wait to see more pics of her, and more videos - and of course of your other kitty as well!!
We were joking around saying she sounded like a little dinosaur!

There will be plenty of pics and video, don't you worry!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she is really very cute. and her meow or mini-roar is very cute, but a whole day of that may drive me bonkers! do bengals F2 and up have these meows too? it sounds like it's amplified LOL

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

she is really very cute. and her meow or mini-roar is very cute, but a whole day of that may drive me bonkers! do bengals F2 and up have these meows too? it sounds like it's amplified LOL
Simba has that roar, but it's only when he gets bored and wants attention. He can let off with some of the loudest most annoying sounds in the world, when he's trying to get attention or when he's trying to keep me from sleeping. Angel can also be pretty loud when she's talking to me.

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Renovia-
I have no F generation bengals but they all have distinct LOUD sounds they use regularly to coomunicate. I think Nial described it the other day, quite graciously, as "trills and chirps" lol.
We have sounds here like imps in hell trying to escape the devil's clutches...at all hours of the night. I am not kidding-the neighbors have been over to inquire.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rugthugs

We have sounds here like imps in hell trying to escape the devil's clutches...at all hours of the night. I am not kidding-the neighbors have been over to inquire.
That's why we don't have neighbors! Purposely bought the home we live in because the nearest neighbors are several acres away.

Nothing noisier than a bengal girl in heat...ok......maybe a jackhammer makes more noise, but you can shut that off.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Nothing noisier than a bengal girl in heat...
Wow I hadn't even thought that through. My bengal girl is loud enough and happily spayed. A bengal in heat...
I don't even want to think that one through fully.