how many "vacation" litterboxes?

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm leaving for vacation late next week, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how many litterboxes they'd leave out for THREE cats, keeping in mind that the cat sitter will come by every afternoon to scoop them. This is the first time we've gone away before adopting Sophia, so when I just had Gette and Jiggy, I'd leave out the large litterbox, the medium box and the small box. Now I went out and bought another medium box, but I was thinking of just leaving out three---the large box,and the two mediums. Do you think I should leave out a fourth (the smallest one)??

Thanks in advance!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What sort of litter do you use?

We have 2 large litter boxes for 3 fairly small (fully grown) cats, and use good clumping litter, and scooping once a day is fine for them.

When we go away we ask a neighbour to stop in once a day to play with them and scoop and the kitties are perfectly fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

What sort of litter do you use?

We have 2 large litter boxes for 3 fairly small (fully grown) cats, and use good clumping litter, and scooping once a day is fine for them.

When we go away we ask a neighbour to stop in once a day to play with them and scoop and the kitties are perfectly fine.
I use clumping litter also (Arm & Hammer). My cats aren't big, in fact, Sophia is still quite tiny for an almost 10-month-old. But the thing is I'm home all day with them so whenever I see there's something in there, I scoop. Usually, the only time I see both of the litterboxes "full" is when I get up in the morning (because as crazy as I am, I don't get up during the night to scoop...ha ha). So I guess three large/medium boxes should be okay. I'll let the sitter know that if she thinks we need to put out the fourth (after i'm gone) she can just go in the closet and get it.
Thanks!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by menasmom

(because as crazy as I am, I don't get up during the night to scoop...ha ha).

I would think with 3 cats 3 boxes will be fine if someone is coming to scoop daily.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same as when we are here. We have 3 cats and just one large litter box (16 x 20 or so...it holds a 14 # bag of Tidy Cat Crystal Blend about 3" deep) We don`t use anything but that one box, all 3 use it and when we are gone we have the neighbor come to scoop, water and feed about mid morning and then our granddaughter does the same in the evening....works fine for us and them (The cats....don`t know about how "fine " it is for the neighbor and granddaughter though) :-)
Linda

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by menasmom

So I guess three large/medium boxes should be okay. I'll let the sitter know that if she thinks we need to put out the fourth (after i'm gone) she can just go in the closet and get it.
Thanks!
Yep, I think that'll work fine, especially if she knows where the extra litter tray is if she needs it.