Swimsuit Cover ups - do you need one or can you get away without one???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So i'm trying to figure out what to pack for our upcomming trip/etc. One thing i wasn't sure about was a swim suit cover up. Do i REALLY need one???? OR...can i just get away with throwing a t-shirt and shorts on or a sundress over my swimsuit? What do ya'll think? I found some cheap ones at Target and Old Navy for under $15-20. Is it worth if if i'm going to be at a water park all day or can i get away with just a t-shirt and shorts? What do you normally wear to a water park/beach setting when you need to cover up a bit???

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
t-shirt is fine. your shorts might get and look wet. Maybe just a long tshirt, put the shorts on when the suit is dry.I'm sure no one cares.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we went to an island resort for our belated honeymoon last year, I just bought a little flowy skirt that was easy to slip in and out of when needed, and a singlet to throw over the top if needed. I had 2 bikini tops that matched the bikini pants - one of them covered my belly, so I felt comfortable wearing just my swimwear and skirt around most of the time. The other one that didn't cover my belly I would generally throw a shirt over if not swimming.

Anything that's comfortable and easy to get in and out of to jump in the water again is good

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bikini top, and boyleg bottoms, then wear a singlet over the top that won't fall off in the water (and you know if you wear something loose in the water and it gets a big air bubble in it, and you look crazy!) the only reason i got away with that was we had alot of privacy where we stayed for Valentines/bday, and only a short walk to our cabin. If i go to a public pool or a beach i cover up alot more, i'm kinda like a smaller version of a beached whale..

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, if you were asking me personally - I would need a MUUMUU to get me to go out in a swimming suit!
But I guess since I don't even own a swimming suit, let alone go to water parks to see what the fashion is, I shouldn't be answering.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a pair of this light weight sporty capri pants that match my bathing suit. If I could, I wouldn't take them off when in my suit in public places! They dry fast because of the material, so I don't worry too much about them getting wet. My bathing suit is a tankini so I've worn my top with it, but I usually keep a tank handy too.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well since I haven't put a on a swimsuit in many years, I am of no help.
My daughter usually just wears a T or just shorts and the suit top is her top..

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Well, if you were asking me personally - I would need a MUUMUU to get me to go out in a swimming suit!
But I guess since I don't even own a swimming suit, let alone go to water parks to see what the fashion is, I shouldn't be answering.
And just what's wrong with a muumuu, may I ask?

Back when I was young and thin and cute, I used to just make a neat crosswise slice about a foot long right in the middle of a big beach towel and sew some bias tape around the edge. Voila! Slips over your head like a poncho, but is still useful as a towel!

But y'know what I think is adorable? Sarongs! If you've got the figure for it, just go get yourself a couple of yards of some gauzy tropical fabric and tie it around your hips... very feminine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone for the input!
I had to go to Target tonight to get a waterproof disposable camera so i just picked up a little swimsuit coverup dress wrap while i was there. I'm glad i did too! Before i left, I checked on the six flags website for their dress code in the water park and i would have not been able to wear my shorts i was going to wear. (just blue jean shorts or my black athletic shorts- both a decent length- not up my butt or anything, but on the website people are asked not to wear them so i'm glad i got the cover up!)
http://www.sixflags.com/stLouis/ride...formation.aspx
if you scroll down to the middle of the page it has the dress code

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

I would get some sort of sun dress to put over top, thier easy and look really good too.
that's what i did
i found a little dress type cover up

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welll I really dont have a good answer,lol...because I havent bought or wore a suit/bikini for several years!!

If I were to wear one nowadays, I think I would wear a wrap around skirt~

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought four new bikinis last summer when I was 35 pounds thinner.

This year, I have yet to even THINK about exposing my body, not even with a cover-up.

It's sad, yes, but at least this depression involving swimsuits gives me extra inspiration for next year!!!!!!!