Pet peeves- ON THE INTERNET!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This could get interesting!

What are some of your pet peeves on the internet? Name something that you do, or something other users do that really just irritate you! List as many as you want!

I'll start:

One pet peeve of MINE (that I do personally) is whenever I write on here, I always find myself doing this ....... a lot! I will read over my posts and see that I do it all the time! Instead of using commas and periods were needed.... I use these. Look I just did it again! Why doesn't someone slap me?

A pet peeve that I have that other people do is when their posts are too hard to read! When I was a new member on TCS, I would have argued this all day long. (I probably did) I used to think it wasn't no big deal if someone forgets to capitalize, use commas, etc. It bugs the crap out of me now!
I violate this all the time, and maybe my posts are hard to read too?!? I'm not saying I'm perfect by any means!

Your turn!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just can't stand getting emails with a threat if I fail to send it on to 25 of my dearest friends within the next 5 minutes. My parents have even been guilty of this. I asked them why on earth they would send me something with a threat of bad luck (horrible things!) if I didn't forward a stupid email!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh here's another one!
During a forum debate, it irritates me when people who have already made their point keep posting the same thing with different wording. I feel like posting back "I understood the first 18 times! Just because you keep saying it doesn't mean I'll agree with you." I'm not saying I'm not guilty of it too though.

Thanks for this thread. I have been really frustrated the last few days searching for new health insurance for my husband (that we can't afford) since his employer decided to cancel their coverage. I need to vent and I don't care what it's about!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate when people type in ALL CAPS. Stop yelling! It doesn't happen much here, though.

And when people reply to a post seemingly after only reading the title and not the actual post, like for example if someone posts that they have this problem with their cat, they just went to the vet today, etc, and then someone says they should go to the vet.

tammie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm another one that is disturbed and annoyed by bad writing and punctuation. It really is a peeve of mine ... a big one! Going along with this is actually writing the word 'like' all the time. It's bad enough when it's overused in speaking ... now we write that way too??

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

I just can't stand getting emails with a threat if I fail to send it on to 25 of my dearest friends within the next 5 minutes. My parents have even been guilty of this. I asked them why on earth they would send me something with a threat of bad luck (horrible things!) if I didn't forward a stupid email!
I too am a big annoyed with this. My brother does it to me all the time!

Originally Posted by mybabyphx

I'll start:

One pet peeve of MINE (that I do personally) is whenever I write on here, I always find myself doing this ....... a lot! I will read over my posts and see that I do it all the time! Instead of using commas and periods were needed.... I use these. Look I just did it again! Why doesn't someone slap me?

A pet peeve that I have that other people do is when their posts are too hard to read! When I was a new member on TCS, I would have argued this all day long. (I probably did) I used to think it wasn't no big deal if someone forgets to capitalize, use commas, etc. It bugs the crap out of me now!
I violate this all the time, and maybe my posts are hard to read too?!? I'm not saying I'm perfect by any means!

Your turn!
One of my personal pet peeves that I do is always writing with !!! at the end. I do it so much on here I have to constantly go back and take them out. I'm getting a little better but it irks me more than I hope anyone else! <--
I did it again.

My DH HATES it when people shorten things. Like DH, IDK, J/K, etc. He just wishes they would type it out! But then again he's getting old and just doesn't get what most of them mean. I have to explain them to him all the time all over the web.

I think that's about it for now, but I am sure something will tick me off in a few and I will think of more! <---- Crappers, I keep doing it.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get really annoyed by short forms...soooooo annoyed..

Example: Today I went 2 the store, What r u doing today?
Words are words for a reason!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hate it when people reply to a thread when they OBVIOUSLY didn't even read the original post... so their response is completely off topic!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dislike: junk mail, and people who are exceptionally rude online just because they're not face to face with you and they think they can say whatever they want and just be nasty. I hate that! I also don't like it when people use very very light colors to type in - it makes it more difficult to read their posts.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I really hate it when people reply to a thread when they OBVIOUSLY didn't even read the original post... so their response is completely off topic!
i went back and reread the topic..all paranoid...

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this isn't a big deal, and I completely understand why people do it... it just kind of bugs me...

I don't like it when people don't write their location in (here on TCS) either leave it blank or put your location. It's so cute that you write "with your cats" or some other cute phrase... but that really doesn't tell me WHERE you are. I don't need an exact place... but maybe a general idea?

(You keep seeing how I keep doing this........ all the time! I can't stop it! I also do !!!!!!! a lot!)

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

i went back and reread the topic..all paranoid...
No, it has nothing to do with THIS thread. LOL!

Nat, you SHOULD be paranoid... we are all watching for your mistakes so we can point you out!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Did I mention that I hate it when people reply with those stupid smilies instead of actually writing? Man, that just bugs the crap out of me!!!

(Nat, I hope you know I'm kidding!)

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long long paragraphs without spaces. I want to read it but can't!

Trolls.

Writing in all caps.

Or someone asking for advice, but not really meaning it, and they are basically just looking for an excuse and unless they don't hear EXACTLY what they want, nothing matters. Not a troll, but not caring for information or advice either.

And strange name signatures that change with every post. For instance, someone that signs their name as one thing one time, then another on other posts. Just leave the name off if you can't remember what you want to call yourself?

Other than that I don't really have many internet pet peeves.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My internet pet peeves, in no particular order:

1. Spam emails!!!!

2. Phoney people & Liars. Yes, you run into them even in "real life", but it's easier to weed them out when you are dealing with people face to face. There are so many on the internet that create "personnas" for themselves in order to live a life that they wish they had. It's so easy for people to lie about themselves and get away with it on the internet.

3. Internet Bullies. On the internet there is a measure of perceived annonymity which gives people courage and confidence that they otherwise wouldn't have, and because of that many use the internet for malicious purposes. I know a whole forum that is absolutely filled with such people, even the moderators and the admins are of that mentality and they look for the weakest person and they paint a target on that person's back. I've never seen such hateful and hurtful people in all of my life! They must live really sad lives.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I cannot STAND reading anything with neglect to use punctuation, proper grammar and spelling.

It irks me like you would not believe.

It happens in e-mails, posts in forums, myspace and other such sites...etc.

GAH!

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OOO FUN THIS IS MY PET PEEVE...
i belong to several forums and it annoys the heck out of me when my every word on a new thread is analyzed, taken out of context, assumptions made i'm doing something wrong if i don't explain my whole way of doing things, etc. i find myself rereading my thread before i post and people still either don't read the whole thing and just guess i need to be lectured about something i already know or read it and totally miss the point...or when i ask for help other members get in a debate over THEIR views and totally ignore my original post....GRRRRRRRRR. i feel "nitpicked" and like i'm being micromanaged at work......AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How can we slap you when so many of us are equally guilty?

I think we're all painfully aware of how easy it is to be misunderstood online, so some of us go to extremes in trying to make our intentions clear -- and part of that is trying to make our written words "sound" more like actual speech. So we take liberties, throwing in ellipses and Italics and smilies in an effort to create a more natural flow with our words than legitimate punctuation would render.

That's my excuse, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

But seriously, I do hate the way I distort my writing online, and clutter it up with smilies. It feels necessary, somehow, but I don't like it. It takes some courage to leave out the smilie and trust that your words alone will make your meaning clear! I'm not sure I have the nerve.

Like others, I dislike what I call "Princespeak" -- the compulsive avoidance of correct English in favor of a style that makes everything you write "sound" in the mind like the Frankenstein monster's first efforts at speech: 4 heaven's sake, why would anyone want 2 make himself seem 2 B stupid?

Since so much of our communication these days is done in writing, it seems we should be working to become better writers -- but as you pointed out, many people don't seem to be interested in making the effort.

Certainly when we know one of our friends is dyslexic or is not a native English speaker, we gladly make an extra effort to understand their posts, and that's not a problem at all. But if you're just too sloppy and careless to write intelligibly... I don't understand that kind of laziness.

Now, finally... the thing I hate most of all on the internet:

LOL.

I hate LOL. I have never LOLled, and I never plan to LOL so long as I live.

I will
! I will Ha! I will giggle, chuckle, snicker, and even guffaw! I will laugh out loud and be glad of it!

And if you really crack me up, I may actually HOWL!

But I will not LOL.

For some reason, LMAO doesn't bother me as much. Nor does ROFL, or the inevitable combination: ROFLMAO. In fact, since I mentally pronounce it "rofflemau," I actually sort of enjoy that one.

But I will not LOL.

If you LOL, however, I will not bear a grudge -- I understand that a lot of people like to LOL, and statistically, they can't all be bad. In fact...

...some of my best friends are LOLlers.