spaying after fiving birth?!

moxicica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[/FONT

hello beloved cat lovers!

My cat is expecting her second round of kittens this year and I would like to know after what period of time after she will give birth, is it proper to spay her?!
Is it ok to spay the cat while she is still breastfeeding the kittens?
Thanks.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You spay her once the kittens are weaned.
Spaying will stop milk production.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you can spay when nursing kittens. Check with your vet as to when he/she is comfortable with getting her done. And PLEASE do not allow her outside at all till she is spayed - she will get pregnant again even when nursing kittens.

How come she was not spayed after the first litter? and how close are the two litters she had?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Yes you can spay when nursing kittens. Check with your vet as to when he/she is comfortable with getting her done. And PLEASE do not allow her outside at all till she is spayed - she will get pregnant again even when nursing kittens.

How come she was not spayed after the first litter? and how close are the two litters she had?
The OP is in Romania ... a country without our modern vet facilities and know how ...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely talk to your vet, and see if she can be done when the kittens are 8-10 weeks old if possible. Also ask your vet at what age he can spay and neuter the kittens - it'd be great if the vet could do the kittens at the same time

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd recommend waiting until the kittens are a little older (and already starting to eat on their own) before having her spayed. I only say this because I once rescued a dog and she had to have a c-section... the vet spayed her at the same time (without consulting me first), and the momma dogs milk all dried up within a few days... I had to bottle feed the puppies. Another vet told me that it doesn't always happen that way, but it can.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it would be better to wait till the kittens are weaned to solid foods but the more important thing is to keep the mother inside so she doesn't get pregnant a 3rd time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moxicica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you all for your replies! You have been really helpful!!!

Though it will be very hard to keep her in the house, because she loves ''lounging" in the back yard... .
A vet assistant told me that I could give her some hormone injections while she is nursing the kittens, in order to prevent her get into heat again and spay her after giving away the kittens. What do you think about that?!

miau

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the injections you are talking about are NOT avail in the Usa soI cant answer

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wait until the kittens are able to eat well on their own. However, it is possible for her to nurse after a spay - I've had three kitties (years ago) who had to have c/sections, and I had them spayed at the same time - not wanting them to ever have to have a c/section again, nor go through a second surgery later. All produced ***plenty of milk*** The issue is that just born kittens still have sharp tiny toenails and they hurt the mom as they scrabble for a nipple. It can cause the mom to want to reject feeding them.

As for hormone injections, the only med I ever used was Ovaban - once..what a huge mistake. I don't think I'd go the hormone injection route.

Can you possibly keep her in a bedroom with her kittens until she goes for her spay?

ps here is a link where they state the same thing:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4120019AAIF81X