Snowshoe Info

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of the Snowshoe but have never seen one.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Snowshoe is a dream cat for me but they seem to be very hard to find from a reputable breeder. What I had read about them before was that the typical personality was like a Siamese but a little more laid back with a quieter voice. From what I understand the white spotting gene is hard to control so it very difficult to get the markings right for show. That is probably why there are so few breeders.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allie72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

The Snowshoe is a dream cat for me but they seem to be very hard to find from a reputable breeder. What I had read about them before was that the typical personality was like a Siamese but a little more laid back with a quieter voice. From what I understand the white spotting gene is hard to control so it very difficult to get the markings right for show. That is probably why there are so few breeders.
They are my favorite breed too...and I got my Pickles for free...I said if I ever saw one in need of a home for cheap or free (b/c people don't know about them) I take HIM in a minute.
Yup they don't talk as much as Siamese...Pickles' voice is adorable & deep.
Pickles' previous owners took him to a show...he does not have papers so he was in the Household pet...won for most Unique Markings.
The judges said he looks like a purebred Snowshoe but points would be taken off for the black spots on one of hinds...they are supose to be ALL white.
Any how...I think they should lower their standards a tad. JMO

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have yet to meet a Snowshoe in person, but I have read about them before and I think they are really sweet cats, I love their personality.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allie72

They are my favorite breed too...and I got my Pickles for free...I said if I ever saw one in need of a home for cheap or free (b/c people don't know about them) I take HIM in a minute.
Yup they don't talk as much as Siamese...Pickles' voice is adorable & deep.
Pickles' previous owners took him to a show...he does not have papers so he was in the Household pet...won for most Unique Markings.
The judges said he looks like a purebred Snowshoe but points would be taken off for the black spots on one of hinds...they are supose to be ALL white.
Any how...I think they should lower their standards a tad. JMO
Why should the breed council lower the standards? The standards for purebreds reflect the "ideal" cat. Not all cats meet that standard nor should they. A good breeder strives to prduce the best. The white spotting gene is hard to control. Birman breeders have just as strict requirements on the white feet and laces up the back feet as the Snowshoe would.

When you achieve the written standard you have a great cat. You showed him in HHP, that's great - he should do well, but that doesn't mean you should lower standards to show in championship.

allie72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Why should the breed council lower the standards? The standards for purebreds reflect the "ideal" cat. Not all cats meet that standard nor should they. A good breeder strives to prduce the best. The white spotting gene is hard to control. Birman breeders have just as strict requirements on the white feet and laces up the back feet as the Snowshoe would.

When you achieve the written standard you have a great cat. You showed him in HHP, that's great - he should do well, but that doesn't mean you should lower standards to show in championship.
I was just referring to Snowshoes...there doesn't seem to be a lot around. So why not, a few spots on the legs seems silly when the rest of the cat is perfect...but what do I know...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few spots on the legs mean the cat does NOT meat the ideal standard - so its a pet. That is the decision made by breeders and the breed council. While its your opinion, it won't make a difference - its what the BC wants as the idal cat.

Its like saying for a classic tabby - lower the standards for pattern cause I can't get a good bullseye pattern - its almost there but not quite; but the cat meets all the rest of the standard. Sorry but breeding and standards don't work that way.

You WANT to achieve the best - you don't want a bunch of mismarked cats in championship; they belong in the pet catagory. Some breeds have a lot of interest and therefore more breeders. Snowshoes are not popular so the breeders are few/far between.

Have fun showing yours in HHP and getting ribbons that way

allie72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

A few spots on the legs mean the cat does NOT meat the ideal standard - so its a pet. That is the decision made by breeders and the breed council. While its your opinion, it won't make a difference - its what the BC wants as the idal cat.

Its like saying for a classic tabby - lower the standards for pattern cause I can't get a good bullseye pattern - its almost there but not quite; but the cat meets all the rest of the standard. Sorry but breeding and standards don't work that way.

You WANT to achieve the best - you don't want a bunch of mismarked cats in championship; they belong in the pet catagory. Some breeds have a lot of interest and therefore more breeders. Snowshoes are not popular so the breeders are few/far between.
Have fun showing yours in HHP and getting ribbons that way
I don't plan on showing him ever...his previous owners were the ones who took him to shows here. They said he hated it so why put him thru that. No offense...but I'm not really into the cat show thing...it's like forcing your kid to do something they don't want to do....if your cats seem cool with it go for it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I've had those kind....Ling went to one show - decided she didn't like all the other cats there - that was the end of her potential show career and if she liked it better, I'm sure she'd take a lot of ribbons - her markings are very nice

Charlie loves shows and enjoys going (and getting to play with toys on the judges table). He really doesn't like the car ride part, but the rest is "show cat"

I thought you meant you were gonna show him - some people like it, some don't - that's fine

allie72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Oh I've had those kind....Ling went to one show - decided she didn't like all the other cats there - that was the end of her potential show career and if she liked it better, I'm sure she'd take a lot of ribbons - her markings are very nice

Charlie loves shows and enjoys going (and getting to play with toys on the judges table). He really doesn't like the car ride part, but the rest is "show cat"

I thought you meant you were gonna show him - some people like it, some don't - that's fine
I am planning on going to the next one here in October just to look...I've never been and would like to see what perfect cats look like. Plus I may see some breeds I never heard of or never seen.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allie72

I am planning on going to the next one here in October just to look...I've never been and would like to see what perfect cats look like. Plus I may see some breeds I never heard of or never seen.
No such thing as a perfect cat - it's just a standard that us crazy breeders aspire to!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Some have come close to perfect....but we all own the perfect show cats
Ain't that the truth! Every last one of my show cats is perfect. Now why aren't they the number one cat in the world??

We're all blinded by the beauty we see in our own cats.

allie72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

We're all blinded by the beauty we see in our own cats.
True enough....but I'd like to see what the standards are...since my household kitties are perfect to me.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's true even for those of us with moggies that don't show. I don't take my moggies to shows for HHP because I am sure they would put all the other cats there to shame.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Possum is a Snowshoe mix! The rescue I adopted him from said he was a "Siamese mix," so I just thought he was a weird looking Siamese mix, since I had never heard of the Snowshoe breed. I found out about Snowshoe Siameses a few weeks ago, and read up a little on them.

Here are some pictures of him and his adopted brother, Loki: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127893

His eyes are really nice blue. I have some better pictures, but I need to get around to resizing them!

Tricia

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually the Snowshoe could be considered (original) a Siamese mix since it was created from Siamese and Bicolor American SH