High fiber food needed, maybe? (long post)

jasminesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I really need some help! I have a siamese kitten, Simon, who has had a heck of a start to his life. We apodted him from a local vet clinic, he has a disformed left eye so no one else wanted him. I immediatly made an appointment with the opthamologist, but before he could get seen, we noticed some hair loss around his left eye. Come to find out, he had ringworm. Well, he had been interacting with one of our other cats, Sophie, who is actually blind in her right eye from a celiece (sp?) virus when she was a kitten, and Sophie got ringworm as well. So, now, they are living the high life, confined in our master bathroom, so the other 2 cats don't get ringworm (or us). Well, simon started having some bowel issues, he was eating Royal Canin Baby Cat, the vet recomended putting him on Solid Gold, what we feed the other cats and he was ok for a while but started having diahrrea again. He was put on metrazionical (sp?) and that helped for a while but after he was off that, he went right back to having diahrrea.He also got an URI so he was treated with Zithromax, which cleared the URI up quickly. He has had his stool tested for parisites, the vet found nothig. We took him off wet food completely, so he was just eating the Solid Gold but he was still having diahrrea. The vet decided to worm him, just in case and put him on panacur. We also made the decision to change his food to a Rx food, IVD Rabbit and Green Pea. The panacur didn't stop the diahrrea though. A few days later, I started him on the IVD food and he has been on that for about 10 days now. His stool is firmer than before, but still not "normal". I don't know if it is the fiber content in the IVD, 7%, or the novel protien source, put he seems ok now, but still not great. I know Sharky has said Rabbit is not a long term meat, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a food that has a high fiber content that would be safe for a kitten to eat for a long term? I think the fiber may be the key and not necessairly the novel protien source, but at this point, I don't know. I was thinking about eventually giving him the Natural Balance venison and green pea, but I noticed the fiber is only 4.5 % and he is eating 7% right now. If anyone has any suggestions at all, I would truly appreciate it.
I'm sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give his history. Also, both Simon and Sophie are currently still being treated for ringworm, this has been a long process!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can add pumpkin ( plain that is ) ... I would try something like Natures variety in lamb

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
California Natural. Not high fiber but does seem to work with a lot of loose stool cases.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasminesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Approximately how old is he?
He is about 7 months old. Sophie is approaching 1 year and they are both in the same room together.

jasminesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

You can add pumpkin ( plain that is ) ... I would try something like Natures variety in lamb
Is pumpkin something I can add on a regular basis or is it only a temporary addition? Does anyone know about adding a fiber supplement to his food, like powdered, unflavored metamucil?

jasminesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Approximately how old is he?
I know you had been having loose stool problems with Coco, I saw a post that you think you have gotten it resolved with Eagle Pack Holoistic Solution, what food did you finally decide on? That might help me a lot!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pumpkin can be used long term( I asked about this)... it is simple canned pumpkin from the store .. i mix it with canned food