Please help! Need your opinion re: adopting kitten!

matth3w

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I have an issue that I need people's personal opinion on.

A couple of weeks ago I fostered a kitten for about one week before returning her to the shelter for the remainder of her shots and spay. Due to the nature of my work, I cannot leave to go pick her up and I am a single "parent." Therefore, I dropped her off on Sunday with the intention of picking her up this past Saturday.

In the meantime, my new job, which was supposed to remain stationary (I am a military interrogation instructor), changed. Now I am traveling anywhere from three days to two weeks per month (and an all month trip in September) all year.

That being said, I have to board her while I am gone. I also have a mini doxie who is two years old. It is easy with him because I have friends to watch him who also have doxies but can't take kittens.

The cost to board her is $10 per day, so anywhere between $140 up to $300 per month if I am traveling.

Now, to offset the cost mind you, the military pays me extra to travel. Basically whatever money I don't spend on food and hotel and rental cars while I am gone is extra money in my pocket. I *should* make enough money to pay for her boarding and then some.

Another variable is that she gave my dog ringworm in her short stay here. The shelter is closed today so I am not sure the progress of her recovery or medication or whatever, but it is costing me well over $100 to have Geno (my doxie) fixed.

At first I was set on keeping her. She's adorable, she gets along with the dog and keeps each other company (for the most part), etc. Then I was like, it's just too much money and effort. Then I have just been back and forth over the last few days.

What would you do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matth3w

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm really torn here so anyone that wants to throw a little discussion around I would really appreciate it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i think most people are just voting - your poll is so complete it doesn't really require a discussion, IMO.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted you don't take her. Give her a chance to find a home with a family that will be able to spend more time with her. I would also suggest that you do not get anymore animals until your job is stationary, that you are not travelling more than once or twice a year. It is not fair to the animals.

matth3w

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't know I would be traveling when I got her. I want to keep her...the shelter has like 400 kittens and is on the border of Mexico

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well look at it from her point of view:
How much fun is it going to be to be boarded all the time?
What effects will that have on her purr-sonality?
What about the quality of her life....it must be stressful to be boarded all the time?

Honestly....I wouldn't take her. IMO, it is not fair to her to be shuffled so much. I know you did not choose to be traveling so much....but you have the opportunity to give her a chance....if you take her home now....she will be harder to place when she is older.

matth3w

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thank everyone for responding thus far...as for the boarding (and no I am not trying to come up with an answer for every point) the boarder I use runs the boarding place out of her home. She has 11 cats full time, and all kinds of other animals that have a run of the house (and yard if you wish your dog to be let out). None of them get crated at any point ever unless you request they do so.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My issue with boarding, and I should've clarified, is that cats are naturally territorial. It is gonna be hard on any cat or kitten, whether they are used to it or not....to be boarded a lot. And from what you are saying, you are talking anywhere from 14-30 days a month, correct?

matth3w

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

My issue with boarding, and I should've clarified, is that cats are naturally territorial. It is gonna be hard on any cat or kitten, whether they are used to it or not....to be boarded a lot. And from what you are saying, you are talking anywhere from 14-30 days a month, correct?
I'm going to be gone the month of September. I should have made it a better post and clarified by saying up to 14 days per month. Could be none, three, or up to two weeks. The month thing is for language refresher training and won't normally happen.

matth3w

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I ask the shelter to see what they think to weigh in on it? Like if they think she will get adopted or if they have too many, etc?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it is also possible that they will not adopt to you due to travel. Some shelters are that particular. What does the kitten look like & how old is she?

If you aren't going to be gone all that much, it wouldn't be so bad....but how long term will the traveling be? I still am not sure it is 100% fair to a kitten to be boarded so much....esp. if it is like 6+ months she will be boarded on & off.

matth3w

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Well, it is also possible that they will not adopt to you due to travel. Some shelters are that particular. What does the kitten look like & how old is she?

If you aren't going to be gone all that much, it wouldn't be so bad....but how long term will the traveling be? I still am not sure it is 100% fair to a kitten to be boarded so much....esp. if it is like 6+ months she will be boarded on & off.
Probably the next few years.

She is about three months and is a gray/black/white tabby.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Color wise, not overly adoptable. Age wise, still fairly adoptable.

I think I still stand that you should let her go. Perhaps wait & see? I just hate the idea of baording her so much....I've seen what it can do to dogs when they are surrendered with behavioral issues....I can only imagine what it does to a cat who is territorial.

matth3w

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Color wise, not overly adoptable. Age wise, still fairly adoptable.

I think I still stand that you should let her go. Perhaps wait & see? I just hate the idea of baording her so much....I've seen what it can do to dogs when they are surrendered with behavioral issues....I can only imagine what it does to a cat who is territorial.
Wait and see what? Obviously I don't want to board her. But I respect cat owners' opinions who have owned cats longer and that's why I came here. If people feel strongly I should let her go, then I guess I can part with her.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know. I am a strong believer in fate. If you are truly meant to have this girl, she will tell you. You will know somehow.

I may be the only one who says to let her go, but that is my opinion. I know you love her & sometimes love is what makes us let them go. I've had a few foster kittens this year & it is so hard to part with them, esp. my little boy who all my cats liked.

matth3w

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like she wants to be here...and even though she only spent a week here before going back to the shelter to get her shots and spay, my doxie runs and looks for her under the bed and around the condo as soon as we come in from a walk...

Even after four days she would jump up on the bed at night and cuddle in between me and my doxie.

Damn, I hate these choices.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Matth3w

Damn, I hate these choices.
I know.
What it all boils down to is her quality of life. Is there no way the person who takes your Doxie could take her as well?

matth3w

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I know.
What it all boils down to is her quality of life. Is there no way the person who takes your Doxie could take her as well?
No, they already have two doxies as it is.
She would have great company when she is here, and plenty of kitties to play with (could she become adjusted?) at the boarding house.

But yet it does get expensive, and she might get upset. How would I know if she was upset? Maybe I could try for a month or two and see how she reacts. She would still be six months old...pretty young.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wonder....I mean....what happens if you keep her & 6-10 months down the road she becomes unhappy? What then...surrender her back to be placed for adoption? If you can create a contingency plan for if something goes wrong, I say go for it.....I just worry about further down the road.....

(I worry too much. I also see too many animals adopted & returned to the HS where I volunteer. And I know you'd be miserable to have to give her back again)

matth3w

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I just wonder....I mean....what happens if you keep her & 6-10 months down the road she becomes unhappy? What then...surrender her back to be placed for adoption? If you can create a contingency plan for if something goes wrong, I say go for it.....I just worry about further down the road.....

(I worry too much. I also see too many animals adopted & returned to the HS where I volunteer. And I know you'd be miserable to have to give her back again)
I mean, I could find her another owner. Other than that, I can't really say. The woman that boards LOVES cats (the name of her place is the Scratch Pad and she even has a license plate that says MEOOOWW) and might be able to help place her.

I dunno. I want to keep her and give her a good home. I know that sounds selfish. I feel terrible because she is in this HS near the border and they have so many cats and dogs (probably literally close to 100 cats, kittens, etc and at least as many dogs).