Stool Samples?

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring a very wet stool sample for testing? Or does the vet need a solid piece?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

it doesn't matter, actually softer would be better
Thanks Jen! I have a few cats acting under the weather and happened to be there for one to go potty.

Can you put it in the freezer for later? If so how long?

jasmine-79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They usually want a sample, any consistancy, pretty quickly. I don't know if I'd but it in the fridge?!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jasmine-79

They usually want a sample, any consistancy, pretty quickly. I don't know if I'd but it in the fridge?!
I would of course store it properly plus we have a freezer we don't use for food.

My vet is closed for the day. Shame he went so late.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
When we're going in and will need a stool sample, I tend to take one from the night before and then hope he goes in the morning again so there's a fresher one... I usually ziplock baggie it, then brown lunch bag it and stick it in the fridge - I write his name on the bags beforehand to prevent mix up at the vet (I dont know just how freezing would effect biological things within the poo, but I wouldn't personally freeze it).... um, a very runny poo may be a little difficult for the techs to deal with, but if it's all you got, then bring it.... ideally, the softer, yet solid poos are the easiest to perform the test on (ahh the fun times I experienced working at the animal hospital)

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

When we're going in and will need a stool sample, I tend to take one from the night before and then hope he goes in the morning again so there's a fresher one... I usually ziplock baggie it, then brown lunch bag it and stick it in the fridge - I write his name on the bags beforehand to prevent mix up at the vet (I dont know just how freezing would effect biological things within the poo, but I wouldn't personally freeze it).... um, a very runny poo may be a little difficult for the techs to deal with, but if it's all you got, then bring it.... ideally, the softer, yet solid poos are the easiest to perform the test on (ahh the fun times I experienced working at the animal hospital)
TY! I put it in the trash tonight. I have 7 cats here so I have to grab it when they go. I did the same baggie technique last time. I know it's ok 24 hours later for testing.