Cat jealousy - Radar not 'allowed' any attention

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Radar!

I have noticed that since Sonic has been asserting his dominance more, he doesn't like Radar getting any attention from me at all

If I talk to Radar, Sonic will glare and do his disgruntled oriental yowl at the top of his voice and stand between me and Radar glaring at him, it's an especially prompt response when I tell Radar that I love him or that he's a good boy. If I go to pet Radar, even if he is in a different room Sonic will run to Radar and smack him on the head.

Radar isn't a very cuddly cat (I'm a bit afraid he will go off cuddles completely if this carries on!), but he does sometimes like to sit on my lap while I'm at the computer, but this evening when he jumped up onto my lap Sonic hurtled over wailing like a banshee and chased Radar out of the room, bopping him all the way into the kitchen. I told Sonic 'No' in a stern voice which I know he understands, and gave him time out in the bedroom, hoping that Radar would get onto my lap if Sonic was out of the room. No such luck though, Radar just sat on the floor and looked at me sadly despite all my encouragement.

What on earth can I do about this? I make sure that Radar gets plenty of attention by himself shutting Sonic in the bedroom to do so, but if I so much as look at him while Sonic is out, poor Radar gets bopped and slapped about. I don't want to bring punishment down on the poor lad's head, but I don't want to ignore him while Sonic is about, it's just not fair

allie72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Lucky is having issues with Jake...she has attacked him once and cut him badly.
She was the baby until Jake came along in January.
She just growls and hisses at him now and Pickles b/c he's a newbie.
I was told to reinforce/praise the good behavior...and to ignore or punish for bad...water gun/bottle works wonder when she is being a bad/mean girl.
I dunno if this would work for you but maybe when Sonic butts in between your time with Radar you give em a little squirt to let him know his behavior is not being tolerated anymore.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Sonic's been neutered, right? this wouldn't be testosterone rearing it's ugly head?

ethiope

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My recently deceased cat, Bud, used to do this to his sister, Velvet, to the point that Velvet started peeing on the carpet while glaring at me - a definite expression of anger. This went on until I wised up and started having Velvet hours where I would play with her in a room that Bud was locked out of for one hour every day. Bud would sit out side and howl, but I would just ignore him and play with her. She seemed soooo happy during these hours, and Bud did stop chasing her out of the room after awhile. It's like he figured out that either he let her be in the room or he would have to be barred from out play sessions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

Sonic's been neutered, right? this wouldn't be testosterone rearing it's ugly head?
Yeah both neutered, Sonic was done a couple of months ago and they were both descended properly and removed so I don't think it's still hormones.

He is awful though, he has to be completely in charge or else. He's decided that the computer chair is the best seat (probably because the computer gets a lot of use) and Radar isn't allowed on that either, if he comes near Sonic will hang off the seat and smack him until he goes away (or until Radar grabs him and pulls him off - part of the problem is that I don't think Radar has fully accepted second-cat position yet). Sonic even has issues with me using the computer chair and when I want to use it he will see that I'm going to sit there and beat me to it then cling on swishing his tail and glaring

I honestly have never met such a bossy, dominant, neutered male cat! Radar is a big softie by comparison. They have never hurt one another, it's just the usual batting and swatting and pinning down. They will share food happily (as long as Sonic gets first dibs). Sonic is very very attached to us, being an Oriental he is very people-oriented and really very affectionate, I would go so far as to say clingy. He is no good at sharing at all!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know this sounds just like Teddy and his bratty behaviour towards Miss Moofs
I am now wondering if Teddy has some oriental in him, hs face is very slim like Sonic.

Teds & Moofs never really come to mega blows but theres lots of noise, growling and paws batting each other
The other day Teddy even did a mount on Moofs and grabbed the back of her neck
Moofs just 'sat' there, little monkey I think she quite liked it

So what can you do, Teds still has to have "time out" to calm down, but to be honest it doesnt make a scrap of difference, he'll be calmer but only for about 3-4 hours or so.

oooooooo heck !!! I'll be interested in replies too

Poor Radar give him solme tummy tickles from us

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, those boys! I'm afraid there's no easy answer for this. You'll have to make sure Sonic and Radar both get alone time and if Sonic acts up in your presence you need to make sure you're not rewarding it.

Ignore him, turn away. Give him the time out. I know how heartbreaking it is to witness this kind of thing between your babies, but I'm sure it will pass. Remember you're the prize here. Reward the good behavior, discourage the bad.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allie72

She just growls and hisses at him now and Pickles b/c he's a newbie.
I was told to reinforce/praise the good behavior...and to ignore or punish for bad...water gun/bottle works wonder when she is being a bad/mean girl.
I dunno if this would work for you but maybe when Sonic butts in between your time with Radar you give em a little squirt to let him know his behavior is not being tolerated anymore.
Please do NOT use water bottles/squirt guns on your cats. If any gets in their ears they can get a serious infection and all it accomplishes is that your cats come to mistrust you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Please do NOT use water bottles/squirt guns on your cats. If any gets in their ears they can get a serious infection and all it accomplishes is that your cats come to mistrust you.
I know your reply wasn't addressed to me but I want to clarify that I have never, nor would I ever, use a squirt bottle on the cats and I won't be swayed in that belief by any posts on this thread. Aside from the possible health issues, I don't believe it works because it shocks the cat to distract it from what it is doing, and therefore there's no association between the behaviour and the 'punishment'. It's sort of irrelevent in my case because I have a squirt bottle for bathing the parrot and I have caught the cats, Radar especially, grabbing it and wrapping their front legs around bottle and handle to squirt themselves with it because they are quite the water babies!