Am I feeding apropriately?

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been reading through previous nutrition threads and I'm getting more and more confused about what to feed my cat. At present he gets about a handful of Royal Canin dry every day and I feed him up to 2 pouches of wet depending on how hungry he is. I'll also give him some plain turkey or chicken as a treat.

Here is my confusion. I used to feed him Felix which he likes. Big no-no from other people on the forum so I felt guilty about giving him such a low quality food therefore cut it out. I was told to try Almo Nature, Schesir, Porta 21 etc. He won't eat Almo Nature (he did at the start) but he adores Schesir pouches especially chicken. But on a previous thread someone said Schesir is just a supplement?! How am I supposed to give him the nutrition he needs? I previously mentioned that the only way I can order wet Bozita for kittens is by ordering a kitten care pack which I'm not going to do every time.

He much prefers wet to dry and I'm happy to feed him whatever wet he wants but am I malnourishing him by just feeding Schesir and a small amount of dry? He looks very healthy and is growing at a fast rate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can any of the European people let me know if Schesir is an appropriate wet food to feed solely or not?! I'm starting to get paranoid at the lack of answers to my posts

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
if it is NOT a complete food EU stuff states COMPLIMENTARY on the label

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your post hasn't been noticed. It is probably because the board moves so quickly. I am of no use in this situation because I am way over here.

I haven't seen anything labeled complimentary here in the US but Sharky is our expert
Is there any wet food he likes that is a complete diet?

I am sure others from the UK will pop in soon!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

if it is NOT a complete food EU stuff states COMPLIMENTARY on the label
I suppose that is my confusion as I can't find this stated anywhere. Plus I was under the impression that I was advised to use these foods as a SUBSTITUTE for the likes of Felix etc.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

I suppose that is my confusion as I can't find this stated anywhere. Plus I was under the impression that I was advised to use these foods as a SUBSTITUTE for the likes of Felix etc.
I looked this up. On the Shesir website, they state their foods are "a complete diet" http://www.schesir.it

I did find it odd that they have a dry food just for sterilized and overweight cats. Sterilized cats aren't automatically overweight

Looks like a great food though

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much for that! I did some research this morning myself and found that it claims to be a complete cat food. I'm not sure why another poster thought it wasn't.

That is strange about sterilized cats; I can only say that of the two males cats I have known that have been neutered, they both have ended up large! I didn't know it was a common problem though; I just thought these 2 cats were particularly lazy

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OFF TOPIC a bit ..

Many animals gain wt after being "fixed" or spayed or neutered ... that is why there are formulas for it ... are they nessessary , not for all cats as they have lower fat and usually higher carbs

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just had a search as well and I think Royan Canin dry and Schesir wet sounds like a good, balanced diet for your kitty