TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › This is the Worst yet!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

This is the Worst yet!

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290300,00.html


Man accused of REPEATEDLY raping a 7-year old child released because they couldn't find an interpreter.

Athough the rapist initially talked to the investigators in ENGLISH.

So, I guess this is a loophole for perverts.
post #2 of 27
I havent read the story just yet...but it sounds like a crock of s***!!
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Update.
The prosecutor is fighting this. There WAS an interpreter. The poo will hit the fan now. Bill O'Reilly will be ALL over this tonight I bet.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290300,00.html
post #4 of 27
Our Constitution has a few pitfalls--- by guaranteeing rights, you have to give them to everyone. Occassionally things like this happen. I'm sure O'Reilly will be talking about this.

I'm also sure he won't point out the countless thousands who really have been guaranteed a fair trial through the same process.

In this particular case, they should have done something aside from letting it slide for years, but criminals get off on technicalities all the time and they are making a deal out of this for the benefit of the english-only movement.

I wouldn't be surprised to see people take matters into their own hands when he tries to go home though. Can't say I'd be sad about it either.
post #5 of 27
Apparently there were several interpreters over the time, none of which were "adequate", whatever that means.
post #6 of 27
One walked out because she was so pissed off about what he had done that she wouldn't translate anymore, one had to attend to a family emergency, and by the time the other one was found they ruled it was too late. I think maybe there was another in there ?

His native language only has 100,000 speakers.
post #7 of 27
That poor little girl. Her telling what happened to her didn't do her a lot of good. I bet she is still being victimized.
post #8 of 27
I am watching this case right now. They say this guy went to high school here in the states. So in my mind it stands to reason this guy does know English he just trying to weasel out of this because of a stupid loophole.
post #9 of 27
Thread Starter 
That is EXACTLY what it is Ping and that stupid judge is letting it happen.
What a moron she is.
post #10 of 27
I have to agree CKBLV. They even said he gave his CONFESSION in English. This judge dropped the ball. OH and they said the day it got dismissed they came in with an interpretor. I mean come on this is the stupidest thing I ever heard. Correction next to the stupidest thing I have heard. The stupidest one was a judge would not let the word rape be said in a rape trial.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=56662
post #11 of 27
This creep is from Liberia, where the OFFICIAL language is ENGLISH. He attended high school and junior college, in the US, which means a working knowledge of ENGLISH.

Sounds as if this judge is trying to be TOO politcally correct and TOO "culturally sensitive".
post #12 of 27
And he went to live in Guyana at a young age and was introduced to English there before ever coming to the states.

And I just read this:
Quote:
The Washington Post reported, however, that Kanneh had waived his rights to a speedy trial.
If he waived those rights why was it dismissed on those grounds?
post #13 of 27
The psychologist said he needed an interpreter and the judge went along with it. If it's anyone's fault it is the psychologist who thought he needed an interpreter.
post #14 of 27
Thread Starter 
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,290603,00.html


He didn't only rape his own 7-year old niece but another of his own nieces that was 18 MONTHS old at the time.

I want to vomit.
And although he speaks English the COURT ruled he needed an interpreter.

What is wrong with our judicial system. How can this Judge sleep at night?
Really, how can she?
post #15 of 27
IMO, the judge should have ruled that an interperter was not required due to the suspects education. From what I read it seems that he understands English well enough to communicate with his lawyer and build a defense if there was one. I don't think there was.

I think the judge should be proscuted. This is a travesty of justice!
post #16 of 27
It's not really anybody's fault though... in the beginning it probably looked like they could find an interpreter, and they did. The judge was probably thinking that if it went to trial with no interpreter, it could be appealed on the basis that a psychologist had recommended one.

In her position, I probably would have done the same thing-- you would hate for him to get off because you didn't require an interpreter. And there was no way to foresee that they wouldn't be able to get one to stay.

It's one of our pitfalls that every single case sets a precedent.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
It's not really anybody's fault though... in the beginning it probably looked like they could find an interpreter, and they did. The judge was probably thinking that if it went to trial with no interpreter, it could be appealed on the basis that a psychologist had recommended one.

In her position, I probably would have done the same thing-- you would hate for him to get off because you didn't require an interpreter. And there was no way to foresee that they wouldn't be able to get one to stay.

It's one of our pitfalls that every single case sets a precedent.
I knew you were going to say that! - well something like it anyways because you are so darned fair-minded. I have to say, though, why should a psychologist determine whether or not there is a language barrier? Also, is there any reason why a mis-trial couldn't be declared instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by katl8e
This creep is from Liberia, where the OFFICIAL language is ENGLISH. He attended high school and junior college, in the US, which means a working knowledge of ENGLISH.
How on earth could someone attend junior college in English and not understand it?
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see people take matters into their own hands when he tries to go home though. Can't say I'd be sad about it either.
This whole thing is just ridiculous!
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
I knew you were going to say that! - well something like it anyways because you are so darned fair-minded. I have to say, though, why should a psychologist determine whether or not there is a language barrier? Also, is there any reason why a mis-trial couldn't be declared instead?
Aw, thank you Psychologists have ways to objectively test English comprehension and in many ways it is better to have a third party do it than the court, else it could wind up being a much more contentious issue.

This case really is fascinating, in part because people seem to have been operating out of an abundance of caution that somehow landed them with a worse result than could have come from going without an interpreter, and one nobody could have seen coming.

This is a better article than the Fox one IMO, as it explains why he didn't really waive his right to a speedy trial indefinitely and more about the process involved.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post

This is a better article than the Fox one IMO, as it explains why he didn't really waive his right to a speedy trial indefinitely and more about the process involved.
That article did explain more. I guess all we can do is hope he gets busted for something else now that there are translators available.
post #21 of 27
The guy speaks English well enough to attend not only high school, but college. I can't even begin to comprehend where this judge gets her reasoning.
post #22 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
That article did explain more. I guess all we can do is hope he gets busted for something else now that there are translators available.
Oh yeah, let's hope he rapes another kid.
Because you know he will.
post #23 of 27
Thread Starter 
I read the article Z. All it does IMO, is drive home the fact to the bad guys that if they speak a language there are no intrepreters available for, they are pretty much above any laws. AND, you can speak English but if your first language is some rare language you got it made, you can rape all the little babies you want to.

Such is our judicial system and such is how we protect our young.
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I read the article Z. All it does IMO, is drive home the fact to the bad guys that if they speak a language there are no intrepreters available for, they are pretty much above any laws. AND, you can speak English but if your first language is some rare language you got it made, you can rape all the little babies you want to.

Such is our judicial system and such is how we protect our young.
I posted the article because it explained the details of the case better than Fox did. The person I posted it for agreed that it did. I fail to understand how it does what you claim any more than the two you posted.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Oh yeah, let's hope he rapes another kid.
Because you know he will.
He probably will, but you know that is not what I meant.
post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
I apologize Rockcat. I get to uptight over stuff like this, but that is no excuse.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I apologize Rockcat. I get to uptight over stuff like this, but that is no excuse.
So do I. No hard feelings. Believe me, I am outraged that the scum is getting away with it too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › This is the Worst yet!