Robbie-cheating on his diet

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Robbie is obese and I've been trying to cut down on his food intake by only letting him eat in the morning and at night with no in between snacks. He will go downstairs in the morning to eat and comes back upstairs and sleeps on my bed during the day. This morning as I was making up the bed I found a small pile of his Science Diet Oral Care under the pillow. I guess he figured the only way he was going to have a snack was to bring some upstairs for later. That little stinker, I guess that's why he hasn't been loosing any weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Sorry, but that's just hilarious! Sneaky kitty, lol
Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny. Robbie is such a sweetheart, I couldn't get mad at him. Even my vet said he was the sweetest cat he had ever seen. Fat, but sweet.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure he is getting enough food ....... if you feed him a high premium wet food and no dry he will lose the weight he needs and feel full while losing.

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Make sure he is getting enough food ....... if you feed him a high premium wet food and no dry he will lose the weight he needs and feel full while losing.
I wish my cats would eat wet food because I've heard it has less calories than dry food and my cats already have dental problems anyway. I've tried all the brands of wet food I can find, but my cats will only lick off the gravy and leave the meat. The only kind they will eat is 9 Lives Tuna & Egg Bits and they will only eat a little of that. I have 6 indoor cats and I'm at work all day and it's hard to control how much each cat eats. I have 1 obese cat, 2 that are overweight and 3 that are normal weight. It also dosen't help when they all like different kinds of food and they are used to being free fed

libby'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ellen13

I wish my cats would eat wet food because I've heard it has less calories than dry food and my cats already have dental problems anyway. I've tried all the brands of wet food I can find, but my cats will only lick off the gravy and leave the meat. The only kind they will eat is 9 Lives Tuna & Egg Bits and they will only eat a little of that. I have 6 indoor cats and I'm at work all day and it's hard to control how much each cat eats. I have 1 obese cat, 2 that are overweight and 3 that are normal weight. It also dosen't help when they all like different kinds of food and they are used to being free fed
My cat is finicky too. She only seems to like Meow Mix, or Sheba wet food. She's kind of okay with the Tuna's, but she seems to like the beef kind. My friend has given us a lot of food, but Lib looks at it and sniffs it but won't eat it. She does love dry food.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have 5 cats and have the same problem with 2 of my cats that will not touch wet food at all. When they had the food recall a while back I started feeding the 3 that love wet, the sheba premium (the new kind) along with a premium dry and they have put on a few LBS, too. They also like the gravy kind and will only eat non premium wet.

I am in the middle of moving, but when I get situated I will be making some changes. I have read on TCS where you can add something to the wet to entice a cat to eat it. That is what I was planning on trying.

I just did a search to see if I could find what the product was and I could notfind it. I will update this thread when I do find it.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Robbie is obese and I've been trying to cut down on his food intake by only letting him eat in the morning and at night with no in between snacks. He will go downstairs in the morning to eat and comes back upstairs and sleeps on my bed during the day. This morning as I was making up the bed I found a small pile of his Science Diet Oral Care under the pillow. I guess he figured the only way he was going to have a snack was to bring some upstairs for later. That little stinker, I guess that's why he hasn't been loosing any weight.
Hehe you should tell Robbie to get off his fuzzy butt cuz there are mice loose!! Maybe he'll lose some weight that way.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I am in the middle of moving, but when I get situated I will be making some changes. I have read on TCS where you can add something to the wet to entice a cat to eat it. That is what I was planning on trying.
For Luna who didnt' like wet food (except for kinda the chunky Nutro kind) and needed a special diet wet food, I mixed in dry kibbles and tuna water to her food (if your cats like tuna) then slowly I started adding less tuna and kibbles until she ate the wet food by itself. Of course, that all got undone once she had a taste of kitten food!!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I have the same problems with my Mutty.

She is *SO* sneaky.

Over the past year I've been really cracking down on her diet and she still manages to find weird ways to cheat!!!! I feed the other cats on high up bar stools because they can jump up there with ease and she can barely make it up on the bed.

*sigh* They're so much smarter than we sometimes give them credit for!!!

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Libby'sMom

My cat is finicky too. She only seems to like Meow Mix, or Sheba wet food. She's kind of okay with the Tuna's, but she seems to like the beef kind. My friend has given us a lot of food, but Lib looks at it and sniffs it but won't eat it. She does love dry food.
I've never tried the Sheba, but I'll get some and see if they like it.

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Ok found it ........Brewer's Yeast......heres a thread from here on ......... and you can also search the web and see that its loaded with vitamins and minerals, too.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=brewers+yeast
I tried to find some at the Vitamin Shoppe but didn't see it. I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help.

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miao_kitty

Hehe you should tell Robbie to get off his fuzzy butt cuz there are mice loose!! Maybe he'll lose some weight that way.
Robbie used to be quite the hunter. He's brought me frogs and moles in his younger days. Two years ago he came into the kitchen after being outside. After awhile I heard him chewing on something so I went over and somehow he had gotten a bat and there was blood everywhere. It was so gross I had to run to the bathroom and throw up.

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

I have the same problems with my Mutty.

She is *SO* sneaky.

Over the past year I've been really cracking down on her diet and she still manages to find weird ways to cheat!!!! I feed the other cats on high up bar stools because they can jump up there with ease and she can barely make it up on the bed.

*sigh* They're so much smarter than we sometimes give them credit for!!!

Yeah, Mutty looks sneaky, but she sure is sweet looking.