A Fox as a pet?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure on legalities, but I am certain it's a domestic, one of the leftover surplus from fur farming, much the same as the domestic ferrets and skunks.

Sure is a cutie!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Not sure on legalities, but I am certain it's a domestic, one of the leftover surplus from fur farming, much the same as the domestic ferrets and skunks.

Sure is a cutie!
Oh I admit, she's adorable, but I wasn't sure about it. I guess it's right along the lines of a skunk

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just poked around the Fl. DNR site. I can't find anything that says they are illegal with or without a permit. I would call your local DNR and ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

OMG!! He is sooo adorable!!
I wonder why they are giving him up though-hes only 11 weeks!
I was thinking the same thing. Probably more then they could handle

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't speak for that area as i'm not familiar with the laws/regulations, however in our area it is illegal to own wildlife without a permit. I foster the wildlife that come into our shelter as needed and have worked around several young foxes. The general public has no business trying to sell wildlife like that
Wild animals are just that....wild. Even if they have been domesticated in a way for fur trade/etc- they will never fully be tame and can never be true "pets" as we would think of a cat or dog. It is cruel. If this animal has been domesticated or around people- it will likely lack the skills to hunt or survive on its own- it needs to be placed in an experienced/reputable wildlife rescue. poor dear.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO, it's insane. I mean, feed Foxy "regular dog food"....what if that isn't a complete diet? Are new "owners" gonna do proper research? Is it legal?
Just seems to me like Foxy draws the short straw.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm... regardless of legality, foxes make poor pets. There has been a selectively bred silver fox for domestication, but this doesn't look like a tame silver fox. Silver foxes are very similar to dogs, behavior and husbandry wise, but they just look like a dog, they've lost most of their fox-like appearance and grace.

Foxes are generally solitary and extremely wary of humans. If you get them cornered, they can tear you up pretty bad. Plus they have a pretty musky odor, defo not something you want to have in the house.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foxes are pretty, but I don't believe in making them a pet. I think it would be cool to have a coon for a pet - but they are sooooo destructive if left loose in a house - worse then a 2 yr old.....

I did a search on "white marbled fox" - and found out that farm raised foxes can be marbled like that. Guess it was a farm-raised one - for its pelt - not as a pet.

I also learned recently that skunks are not all black and white - they have a lot of different colors now that people have bred!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is the first time I've ever heard of foxes as pets. It seems a little scary to try to domesticate foxes.
That little guy sure is absolutely adorable though!