Angelfish Tank

allie72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
120g angelfish tank...yesterday we took all the other fish out so the angels' eggs won't be eaten.
There are 7 angelfish in there.

hank_n_angel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow! theyre beautiful. Ive alwasy wanted to have a large fishtank but have just never gottenone.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovely set up! I'd love to have a 120gal tank, but then we probably wouldnt be able to MOVE in our room! Maybe when we've got our house. I LOVE the angelfish
If we could have them in our newer 55gal, I'd be putting them in it. I dont think the cichlids and angelfish would be good buds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allie72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

Lovely set up! I'd love to have a 120gal tank, but then we probably wouldnt be able to MOVE in our room! Maybe when we've got our house. I LOVE the angelfish
If we could have them in our newer 55gal, I'd be putting them in it. I dont think the cichlids and angelfish would be good buds.
Angelfish are South American cichlids...so they can go with any type of dwarf peaceful cichlid from the same area...like dwarf rams. What kind of cichlid are you keeping?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What gorgeous fishies!! I've never seen one like the dark one, i guess i thought they all were the black and white striped ones

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allie72

Angelfish are South American cichlids...so they can go with any type of dwarf peaceful cichlid from the same area...like dwarf rams. What kind of cichlid are you keeping?
Hmm, learned something new today! I had no idea they were South American cichlids.

Rob plans on getting a convict, firemouth, and jack dempsey cichlid (and none of those names sound very peaceful!) for the tank. He had wanted tinfoil barbs and bala sharks, but the balas are skittish and the tinfoil barbs are very aggressive and need to be kept in groups of 3-4 they said.

allie72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hmm, learned something new today! I had no idea they were South American cichlids.

Rob plans on getting a convict, firemouth, and jack dempsey cichlid (and none of those names sound very peaceful!) for the tank. He had wanted tinfoil barbs and bala sharks, but the balas are skittish and the tinfoil barbs are very aggressive and need to be kept in groups of 3-4 they said.
We've had convicts, fire mouth and a jack dempsey juvenile they were all aggressive but convicts are THE worst...once they pair off they will kill everything else in the tank unless they are in a big tank.
We had a pair which kept over half of an 80g (use to have) all to themselves and their fry...all other convicts, plecos, fire mouth & JD were beaten if they crossed a certain point. Convicts breed like crazy...you seriously don't want to fall in love with them. Beautiful fish but are evil.
We've kept everything from goldfish, betta, african cichlids to piranha...trying to find what we like best I guess...part of the hobby. If you have any questions about fish...I can try my best to help out.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allie72

We've had convicts, fire mouth and a jack dempsey juvenile they were all aggressive but convicts are THE worst...once they pair off they will kill everything else in the tank unless they are in a big tank.
We had a pair which kept over half of an 80g (use to have) all to themselves and their fry...all other convicts, plecos, fire mouth & JD were beaten if they crossed a certain point. Convicts breed like crazy...you seriously don't want to fall in love with them. Beautiful fish but are evil.
We've kept everything from goldfish, betta, african cichlids to piranha...trying to find what we like best I guess...part of the hobby. If you have any questions about fish...I can try my best to help out.
Wow, that's a load of different fish! We are only going to get 1 convict if we get one, so I guess he cant really pair off in that situation! Someone on a tropical fish forum suggested the convict & firemouth. Rob really liked the jack dempsey. I have my pictus catfish and tiger barbs - they make me
I wanted a four line pimodella(sp?) catfish, but petsmart had them as "managers choice fish, priced to sell", and 5 were gone in a week! I'm sure I'll be asking advice sooner or later - we are pretty new to the larger-tank hobby. We started out with a betta and a 1.5 gal tank, moved up to a 10gal tank for it, and now have that and two 55's! Its hard to resist a beautiful fish, just like an adorable kitten!

allie72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Wow, that's a load of different fish! We are only going to get 1 convict if we get one, so I guess he cant really pair off in that situation! Someone on a tropical fish forum suggested the convict & firemouth. Rob really liked the jack dempsey. I have my pictus catfish and tiger barbs - they make me
I wanted a four line pimodella(sp?) catfish, but petsmart had them as "managers choice fish, priced to sell", and 5 were gone in a week! I'm sure I'll be asking advice sooner or later - we are pretty new to the larger-tank hobby. We started out with a betta and a 1.5 gal tank, moved up to a 10gal tank for it, and now have that and two 55's! Its hard to resist a beautiful fish, just like an adorable kitten!
One convict is fine as long as it's male....any females we have had turned on everyone in the tank...the males only get aggressive when they are protecting their kids. Go figure...the females are more bossy.

Any Central American fish will breed together.
Keeping fish is an addiction more than a hobby