Junk Mail (real mail, not virtual)

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey do you also get tons of envelopes from your bank asking you to apply for a credit card? I also get a numerous phone calls every month and it drives me nuts.

I already called them and asked them to stop sending me this **** but it seems like they don't listen and keep doing this just to make people

Do you encounter the same thing? What can I possibly do in order to get rid of it?

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My credit union rarely sends me stuff, but I constantly get stuff from credit card companies, my mortgage company, and other random junk. It all just goes straight to the shredder.

Never get phone calls because I'm on the "do not call" list

I'm not sure what you can do to get rid of it. I tried calling Jeep-Chrysler once to get them to stop sending crap. They said they would, but we still get it. You can go to the post office and get a form to fill out (forgot what it's called), that will force the company to stop sending stuff....but if it's your bank then I'm not sure if it will stop your bank statements too...

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly don't know how to put a stop to it.

We get tons of tis stuff every month. I get credit card applications from companies I already have the credit card with!!!

Think of the time and money and paper that they're wasting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I honestly don't know how to put a stop to it.

We get tons of tis stuff every month. I get credit card applications from companies I already have the credit card with!!!

Think of the time and money and paper that they're wasting.
They don't keep their word when they tell me on the phone they would stop doing it, and once I told them I want to close my account they just offered promotions, I said no thanks, and yet they still keep doing it

We're just like bugs for them I guess

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks lookingglass, I filled out the form you linked to. I have been trying to figure out how to do that for a long time, I had already for my phone #.

I hate junk mail, and I keep it because I'm afraid to throw it out (people dig through these dumpsters like there's gold in them).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I mail them back ripped up .. see the companies dont have to pay the postage unless it is returned

I too am on the do not call list

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't shread that stuff and just toss it out, you can get your identity stolen! There's a really good website that has tons of info about identity theft (if you want it, pm me).

Also someone got tired of getting the junk mail - they started putting heavy stuff in the pre-paid envelope and sending it back to the company - they would have put rocks in it if it didn't stop - company got the hint....lol

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
The most annoying junk mail of all?..Well we have now been in this house 12 months, and we are still getting letters not only for the previous owners...but the ones before that!!!!!

Do you KNOW how to re-direct your mail and tell companies you've changed address!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

isadora44

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If you don't shread that stuff and just toss it out, you can get your identity stolen! There's a really good website that has tons of info about identity theft (if you want it, pm me).

Also someone got tired of getting the junk mail - they started putting heavy stuff in the pre-paid envelope and sending it back to the company - they would have put rocks in it if it didn't stop - company got the hint....lol
I occasionally will mail the pre-paid envelopes back empty....but putting heavy stuff in them...that's hilarious!!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always send them back empty too, but I think I might start filling them up with something heavy as well.
That's a great idea

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chase keeps sending me "pre-approved" credit card things. Sure, 0% interest .. until 1/08 - then its 19% interest!! They sent me the same one two days in a row. I just shred all my junk mail and use it as packing material when we ship out car parts.

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

Chase keeps sending me "pre-approved" credit card things. Sure, 0% interest .. until 1/08 - then its 19% interest!! They sent me the same one two days in a row. I just shred all my junk mail and use it as packing material when we ship out car parts.
OMG I didn't know if I'm allowed to mention who's the big joker around this topic but yeah, since you mentioned it, I don't mind to come and say it as well - it's Chase. Most envelopes come from Chase, other banks are much more normal, but my whole idea of this topic was Chase.

And yeah lol I don't believe to those stupid fairytales of credit-cards, I don't like CCs, I use only a debit card for now, yet it's so unbelievable the amount of envelopes they send you home - I think the idea of mailing it back is great, since someone mentioned they do need to pay for the delivery in a case it was returned

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I mail them back ripped up .. see the companies dont have to pay the postage unless it is returned
That's not correct - they pay for postage to mail it to you and they pay a pretty penny. If you are ripping it up sending it back to them, you're just wasting your time and energy.

I work for a mailing list company. Lists are rented for lead generation every single day. A lot of the mail pieces that you are receiving that you consider to be "junk mail" are, in fact, simply direct marketing pieces - advertising through the mail. It is simply for you to shred and/or recycle any that you don't want to respond to. It does NOT mean that these companies actually own any information on you.

For those on the Do Not Call list, please remember that your registrations expire in 2008 and will need to be renewed if you got on the list the first year it came out (2003.)

To remove your name and mailing address from all commercially available mailing lists, please go to this web site for consumers and follow the instructions to get off the mailing lists. It is the Direct Marketing Association's "Mail Preference Service" and all commercially available mailing lists must be "bumped" against this list by law.

If any of you have any questions about the direct mailing industry, please feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to educate/assist you.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

The most annoying junk mail of all?..Well we have now been in this house 12 months, and we are still getting letters not only for the previous owners...but the ones before that!!!!!
I hear you!

We get mail for the previous tenant, the tenants before her, the tenants before them, and for previous tenants of the other two apartments. We also get a Scientology newsletter every few months, addressed to some guy we've never heard of, who has never lived in our building. I used to hand-deliver the mail that belonged to the previous two groups of tenants, because they're all friends of ours (our apartment is the kind of place that you give to friends when you move out, because the rent is low but the place is nice and the landlords are decent), but now I send it all back because my friends weren't updating their addresses with the mailers. As for the Scientology newsletter, J reads it because he finds it amusing (I'm not really sure how anyone could possibly read this newsletter and not think there's something wonky about Scientology, but that's another thread entirely) and then tosses it out. J's theory is that if this person really wanted his Scientology newsletter, he'd notice he wasn't receiving it and go about correcting the problem; since we've been getting it for about a year now, this obviously isn't the case.

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I too am on the do not call list
but I hope what you meant was that they don't pay the "return postage paid" unless you actually return it. They DO pay to send it to you, but at a lower, bulk-rate.

I'm still getting mail for my mother and stepfather, both of whom have been deceased for over two years, AND the former owner of the house, who hasn't lived here in TWELVE YEARS (tho granted that's getting more infrequent these days)

And Ginger's Mom, thanks for the link -- will save me some time down the road.