Introducing kittens to kittens

robvienna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Im new and have a quick question.

Ive had my 6 month old kitten (Fudge
) since she was about 8 weeks old. Im beginning to think id like another for her to play with and have some company with when Im not around.

Now, would there be any problems introducing another kitten? She has always been kept indoors as she has not been spayed yet.

Thanks, ill try and get some pics up as well of the lil lady soon

Rob

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get her spayed now - she's old enough and all it takes is one time outside and she will get pregnant - you DON'T want her to have kittens at 6 months old! She should have already been done.

Do not bring in another kitten till she is spayed. I recommend a young male (neutered before bringing in) because a lot of females are more territorial then males when it comes to new cats. They seem to accept a male coming in rather then another female.

Ling's 2 yrs old (spayed) and we got Charlie at 4 months old. She still has not totally accepted him. I know she would have never accepted another female (her grandmother hated other females and would chase them away). I'd like to get another male Ocicat in the future for Charlie to play with, cause Ling doesn't like to play much with Charlie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robvienna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice.

She is booked later this month to be spayed at my vets, they advised to wait till she is 6 months old before getting her spayed. Im not too sure if I want her to go outside anyway as there are a couple of very busy roads near me and Id hate to see her hurt!!

Id rather a female kitten, but only because a male would spray everywhere wouldnt it? Or would neutering stop/minimise this?

Thanks

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming you're in the UK if your vet won't spay before 6 months? We had the same problem, at least 6 months old for my boys to be neutered, the rest of the world seems to have moved on and vets can do it from 8 weeks as long as they weigh over 2lbs, we are way behind on this here!

If you're worried about the roads then I would keep her indoors only, especially if you are going to get another kitten, they will keep each other entertained and happy and you won't have to worry about them being hit by cars. Neither of mine have ever been outside in their lives, and they are both very happy cats. If she's not used to going outside she won't miss what she's not had

I agree wait until she has recovered from her spay before adding another kitten, and that a boy would be likely to be accepted more easily by her. It can take a while and requires some patience before they get along, but as she is still young she should adjust easier than an older cat. Mine have taken a while, I got my second cat at the end of January and have just this weekend seen some breakthroughs in their relationship, which is great. I always knew they would get along ok eventually, but it has been quite a long road to get them this far!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

robvienna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am indeed in the (mostly underwater now!) uk, Manchester actually so its not too bad here at the moment...

I would definately wait until she has been neutered before getting another, do you also have to wait till six months for the spaying of male cats? Id like to adopt again like I did with fudge, when will kitten season be upon us?

Thanks
Rob

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutered males rarely spray - and its almost certain that done at an early age before they even get in the habit they will not spray. I've never had a male spray (even my breeding male was a rare NON sprayer)

I'd take a neutered male over female any day - find them nicer to strangers, more laid back, more outgoing personality. I don't know WHY people think males will spray????

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I'm assuming you're in the UK if your vet won't spay before 6 months? We had the same problem, at least 6 months old for my boys to be neutered, the rest of the world seems to have moved on and vets can do it from 8 weeks as long as they weigh over 2lbs, we are way behind on this here!
But, the UK doesn't declaw, right? So you win that one

To the OP:
My Seb was a year old when he was neutered. He has never sprayed.

There are some females who will welcome other cats of either gender but those are pretty rare. Your best bet is to find a young male, like the others have said
Males tend to be (though not always) more accepting of new cats - after the intro period.