How a group of firemen saved my wedding anniversary.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michael and I were coming home from grocery shopping, and we were talking about how we were looking froward to a nice dinner out. He forgot something in the car so I popped on the elevator to get a head start on putting everything away.

The elevator hit the sixth floor and then stopped. I push the door open button. Nothing happens. I push the emergency call button. No one is on the other end of the line. I pulled out my cell phone and dialed my husband. He started laughing. I wasn't pleased.

We then tried to force the door open ourselves. Me pushing from the inside and him pushing from the out. I suppose my 100lbs of brute strength wasn't enough. Then I decided to phone a friend. So there I was stuck with my husband, our best friend, and myself trying to get me out of an elevator. Our dinner reservations were at 7:30. It was 6:15. The
door wasn't moving.

We needed back up. In comes the fire department. They were so professional and kind. One of them even asked if I was panicked. I told her I was more annoyed than anything else.

After that wonderful group of people got me out of the elevator of doom. I was able to make my dinner reservations.

I'm baking them some chocolate chip muffins and banana bread right now. They were my heroes.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You had a memorable anniversary. Thank goodness the firemen were able to help you. Though
to DH for laughing at his wife in trouble. You need to throw mudballs at him for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

You had a memorable anniversary. Thank goodness the firemen were able to help you. Though
to DH for laughing at his wife in trouble. You need to throw mudballs at him for that.
I shall... we are going to the lake either today or tomorrow and I'm sure I can find some mud along the way.

Perhaps I will just push him in.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! Great ending. But did you ever figure out why the doors were stuck? That's scary - would make me use the steps for awhile....just in case

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Oh wow! Great ending. But did you ever figure out why the doors were stuck? That's scary - would make me use the steps for awhile....just in case
Our elevators in our building get stuck often. We mostly have to use them because we are on the 12th floor.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sucks - 12 floors is quite a hike. Hope you can move soon to a better place with safer elevators! I'd start looking around

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laughing sounds like something Rob would do to me if I got stuck

Glad to hear you made it to your reservations on time though!

alwaysaangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Michael and I were coming home from grocery shopping, and we were talking about how we were looking froward to a nice dinner out. He forgot something in the car so I popped on the elevator to get a head start on putting everything away.

The elevator hit the sixth floor and then stopped. I push the door open button. Nothing happens. I push the emergency call button. No one is on the other end of the line. I pulled out my cell phone and dialed my husband. He started laughing. I wasn't pleased.

We then tried to force the door open ourselves. Me pushing from the inside and him pushing from the out. I suppose my 100lbs of brute strength wasn't enough. Then I decided to phone a friend. So there I was stuck with my husband, our best friend, and myself trying to get me out of an elevator. Our dinner reservations were at 7:30. It was 6:15. The
door wasn't moving.

We needed back up. In comes the fire department. They were so professional and kind. One of them even asked if I was panicked. I told her I was more annoyed than anything else.

After that wonderful group of people got me out of the elevator of doom. I was able to make my dinner reservations.

I'm baking them some chocolate chip muffins and banana bread right now. They were my heroes.
If it had taken them longer it would have been pretty funny to have to call the restaurant:

"Hi my name is lookingglass and I have a dinner reservation at 7:30 - can we back that up to about 8:00? I'm stuck in an elevator and am running a little late"

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate elevators for that reason. The one at my work always gets stuck going down to the lower stockroom. I have gone in it a couple of times, but I really try not to. I am a cashier, so the only time I have to go down there is to bring the garbage down, which the cash supervisor usually does. Our store manager got stuck in there for a few hours about a month ago. That was funny though because everyone hates her.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am glad you got out Ok.

We have one at school that is tempermental like that. It only goes to 2 floors and it takes about 5 min to do so. One time my friend was waiting to get in, she was looking in a classroom to the right and when the doors opened she walked in. Unfortunately, the elevator had stopped 2 feet too low, she fell right in! I didn't see it, I just know what she told me, and I can picture it in my head. I laugh out loud every time I think about it!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that's great -- you called it

"ELEVATOR OF DOOM!"

With a title like that, I think you can sell your story to NBC for a Movie of the Week!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That reminds me of the elevators at the University of Memphis
The ones in the music buildings were always getting stuck - they were old as sin when i went to school there
I took the stairs a lot

I'm glad you were able to go about your night though and have your dinner!!
That is soo sweet of you to fix them some home cooked treats! I bet they will love them

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Karma was just trying to make your anniversary extra special. Glad you made it out ok and glad your cell phone worked while in the elevator - mine always conks out in an elevator.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cho Chip muffins and banana bread???? (SIGH) I wish I`d been on the team that rescued you!!!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Linda