Huge Vent/vibes Needed Please.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was an interesting day, I will try keep the story behind this short.
Basically today when I was in the city with my wife I saw a gorgeous ginger stray kitten. After getting closer, he was in terrible shape, ringworm, fleas possible worms and has bad URI, I asked my wife (yet again) can we take him home and get him to a vet, then find him a new home.
She said I'm a pain in the ass, but I kindly pointed out if she hadn't taken me to the pet shop that day, I wouldn't think 2x about seeing a stray cat. So for a change, she actually agreed
she even said she will take me to the vet thats opened weekend rather than wait til tomorrow. We had to wait an hour for the place to open, had to wait in our car because he may pose health threat to other animals, that took 45mins then we had to go in back entrance to see vet
now this is where the venting starts. The vet gave him a quick look at, said he would only charge for medicine and not his fee due to the circumstances, that parts nice. Heres where it gets ugly, the vet didn't check the kittens sex, didn't give anything for fleas or ringworm, I had to actually ask. ME, now I do have a lot of experience with cats, but I have never ever had to tell a vet how to do his job.
Whats more he told us if we can't find a new home for him, once he is better to just release him to the streets again. :censor::censor::censor:?? what kind of vet is this?
he also said they can't help all the strays we find so don't get any more. We went there just today and we will never do it again, we will wait til the week days should this situation ever arise again. And why won't he help, does he not love animals? I didn't ask him to lower his fee, nor did I go there expecting to. I was willing to pay the price so he should be happy to do his job and take my money, if he doesn't want to give discount then don't.
Surprisingly even my wife is furious that he said to release the kitten again, if we do that, then what was the point of rescuing him the first time???

Anyhoo, please send the kitten your vibes that he will recover fully and that I can find him a new loving home.

Thank you all for listening/reading.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor kitty!

I hope you can find a new home for him. It`s very sweet of you to take the time to help. You have a big heart

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure the guy is really a vet???? He sure wouldn't get my business.
I hope you can get this cat into adoptable shape and find a good home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Are you sure the guy is really a vet???? He sure wouldn't get my business.
I hope you can get this cat into adoptable shape and find a good home.
No he's probably not. I did a pre qual course to get into a vet nursing course when I was 16 but didn't complete it due to "I suck at maths"
I consider myself to be more of a vet than that douche bag.

I haven't had a terribly sick cat before, Diego with his flu was the worst. Other things such as diahorea and vomitting I've always been able to fix myself, but since I've read umpteen books on cats and cat care, diseases and so on, I knew I was right about the ringworm, fleas and the kittens gender.

Honestly on the way home from the vet I was almost in tears I was so angry, I actually wished we had waited til tomorrow to take him to our normal vet. This guy just really didn't seem to give a sh*t. Maybe coz it was so busy I don't know and I don't care, his attitude was appalling as far as I'm concerned.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to add a bit more, my internet connection is slow today so I hope no one has posted before this in case I repeat something.

Today was rare that my wife let me bring the kitten home and I am grateful. Unfortunately when we went to the inlaws place for dinner, there as an unexpected bill for my wife (she's distraught and crying). We really could not afford to take this kitten in today or take him to the vet.

I need to interupt at this point to add a little extra about the vet, something else that may disgust you. He didn't even try clean up the cat apparently thats our responsibility. The dirt in his ears the dried and wet mucus all over his face and the flea poo in his fur. Our regular vet although we only seen him a few times, he is much nicer with our cats and he didn't mind doing the clean up of Diego when he was unwell.

When we got home from the inlaws I had this real sad feeling in my heart and some type of little voice nagging at me about this kitten and his vet visit. Although we cannot financially support this kitten, we have decided to make sacrifices to support him. We were going to take him to our vet next week after his meds are finished, however I said to my wife I want to take him to our vet tomorrow, you know financially its going to be no different taking him in for a check up next week or taking him in for a second opinion tomorrow.
The good news, he is going to the vet tomorrow.

Part of that nagging voice was, I don't know what the meds are we've been given, they aren't the same as Diego's, when he had the flu and the name of the meds has been written on by the vet, not a company. I said to my wife what if its poison, that he's getting us to administer to the kitten, and if he dies he dies, was too sick sort of thing. She replied that I have a great imagination, but then I went on to say, look at what we both think of this vet, compared to our regular one, who is just so loving toward the animals. The one we saw today, not an ounce of passion in his heart. My wife agreed, she also said that she thinks todays vets status is below that of sh*t.

I'm sorry to go on and that this thread is a bit all over the show.
Will post some pics of the wee guy tomorrow, he is a bit cleaner coz I used some pet wipes and he is just so adorable. Although he is sick and doesn't look in good shape, you can still see that he is absolutely beautiful, he will make you guys go all mushy.

PS m wife has a heart after all

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you two for taking care of this kitten. If your wife doesn't like cats and thinks poorly of this vet that says a lot. Many vets around here have a whole kitten package where for about $120 you can get shots, flea and worm treatments, and some basic grooming. They wave the regular office visit fee and just charge for services. This guy sounds like an idiot. I will send lots of vibes your way.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is heartbreaking. I wish I were there... I would so love to give this little guy a good bath and a brushing! Please give him a snuggle for me... and bless you for taking care of him.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

This is heartbreaking. I wish I were there... I would so love to give this little guy a good bath and a brushing! Please give him a snuggle for me... and bless you for taking care of him.
Yesterdays vet said can't bath him coz he has the flu, I'm not sure if I should or not.
Right now I'm going to feed him, then he's off to the vet.
I had a sleepless night due to all the worrying/repeated thinking about that vet.

Anyway, I give you an update when we get back.

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart. You've had such a rough time lately. You have a huge heart and I'm glad you took this little guy in. Definitely sending lots of good vibes your way! Keep us posted!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well............

I don't know what to say..........

I took him to see Dr Tanaka (Diego and Neko's vet) and he said, the meds we were given are not necessary, the kittens lings and heart sound good, and the stuff we were given for the ringworm shouldn't be used at the moment because the skin is broken and can cause bad reaction. Dr Tanaka simply gave us some ointment to heal the skin more first (although the ringworm is going away on its own, [maybe not ringworm at all???]) then we use the other cream. He said that from what he see's most of the kittens problems are a result of where he was living, mainly all the dirt and crap was making him look like he has the flu. If he keeps sneezing though then we need to give him the meds. I can also give the wee baby a bath, thats no problem according to Dr Tanaka.

Looks like I found something to say after all

End result I am satisfied with the outcome, both visits cost a little more than $50 together. Which isn't too bad. I'm going to try quit smoking (vibes for that too please
) and not buy anymore booze
that way we can support him til he finds a home. The kitten wasn't as bad as first presumed, I trust Dr Tanaka's diagnosis any day of the week.

He hasn't pooped yet
but does have a huge appetite.
Not pooping might be coz, we are housing him in a cage temporarily. Oh and he doesn't have worms. He is going to be just fine.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

That is all great news! I'm so happy to hear it! So have you given him a name (even if it's temporary!)?
No not yet, my wife won't allow it even though she calls him ginger. I want to call him something like sox or mittens coz all four paws are white.

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad he's going to be OK. Thank you so much for helping this tiny one. I wish you much luck on quitting smoking. It can be done. Try the patch. That's how I managed.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just be careful, if it is ringworm, it can spread easily. Trust me....been there like 4x with Damita.
Wash hands/change clothes after touching the new kitten.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Just be careful, if it is ringworm, it can spread easily. Trust me....been there like 4x with Damita.
Wash hands/change clothes after touching the new kitten.
We were extra cautious yesterday, when handling him and yesterdays vet gave us some of their magic pink antibacterial stuff that you need to soak your hands in for 10secs to kill everything.
Although I thought it was ringworm, just coz the way it looked (I've only seen books) but I asked my wife what the ointment does exactly, its some sort of antibiotic for him, apparently its just a bacterial infection.

I will try get some pics of it now. I'm just going to finish this post, take some befor pics. Then shower him and take some after pics and post them.

I don't doubt the vets judgement if he says it isn't ringworm.

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please go here http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...53#post1896253
for pics.

Neko saw him yesterday and this morning, sniffed toward the cage but didn't think much of it. But when he saw the kitten in the cage again after the visit to the vet, BOY did he throw a hissy fit. Spitting every where and stormed out.

The kitten absolutely adores me but is jumpy whenever my wife approaches. I think thats just coz I was the one who caught him, pat him and feed him. So he may only trust me at the moment, the wifes too scared to touch him, still thinks she'll catch something.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you were able to help this poor kitty!

Vibes going his way and your way for thquitting smoking thing .

He is so scrawny and sweet in the pics you posted.

Good luck!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

He is so scrawny and sweet in the pics you posted.
Yes he is. He was starved 1/2 to death. He ate 3 single portion tins of wet and 1 serving of dry yesterday. If I could bothered, I could literally sit there and count every single bone in his body. He's like a skeleton with a bit of fur draped over him. Poor baby.

He has finally pooped. so he's on the speedy road to recovery.