Help with a movie no one's heard of

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few years ago when I was still in elementary school we watched a movie and never finished it. I can't remember what it was called. I'm pretty sure it was made in the late 1990s, maybe 1997 or 98. It was about a family (or a couple, can't remember) driving an suv/truck through the American desert. Their car breaks down and some guy tries to help them. I think the guy kidnaps the woman and her husband tries to save her. I vaguely remember a gunfight between the kidnapper and the man, and the man's truck falling into a river. This is so vague... has anybody have a clue of what I'm talking about? LOL, it doesn't help that it's nearly 1:30!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a movie that I have been trying to remember the title of and can't. It's been driving me crazy for months trying to remember the name of it.

I know it was in the theaters at one point. It had one or two well known actors in it (sorry, can't remember who though).

I think it was created in the mid to late 1980's (or maybe mid 90's) because I remember looking at the television guide and noticing the year and thinking "wow, we've come so far in cinematography since then" or "talk about low budget" or something like that.

I believe the plot was about 3 people who go out sailing and get caught in a storm.

What I remember most about it was the really, really bad water effects. The 3 people were on the boat in the front, holding on for dear life. The sail boat was rocking and rolling because of the huge waves which you could see in the background. It was obvious the waves were being projected on a screen behind the boat. There was lots of rain and occasionally you would see what amounted to a pail of water being thrown from the side on to one of the people to mimic a wave spash.

I thought it was called "Hurricane" or something like that, but whenever I look that up I get a bunch of hits for some Boxer guy.

Any clues?

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Here is a movie that I have been trying to remember the title of and can't. It's been driving me crazy for months trying to remember the name of it.

I know it was in the theaters at one point. It had one or two well known actors in it (sorry, can't remember who though).

I think it was created in the mid to late 1980's (or maybe mid 90's) because I remember looking at the television guide and noticing the year and thinking "wow, we've come so far in cinematography since then" or "talk about low budget" or something like that.

I believe the plot was about 3 people who go out sailing and get caught in a storm.

What I remember most about it was the really, really bad water effects. The 3 people were on the boat in the front, holding on for dear life. The sail boat was rocking and rolling because of the huge waves which you could see in the background. It was obvious the waves were being projected on a screen behind the boat. There was lots of rain and occasionally you would see what amounted to a pail of water being thrown from the side on to one of the people to mimic a wave spash.

I thought it was called "Hurricane" or something like that, but whenever I look that up I get a bunch of hits for some Boxer guy.

Any clues?
could be any of these....

Adrift
cabinboy
cutthroat island
the perfect storm

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

No. Not any of those. This is driving me crazy! LOL
Hmmm... I'm a movie freak and know way more than I should...but I'm having a lot of trouble with this. Do you know the name of even ONE actor or actress in the movie? That would be a big big help!!!

It's driving me crazy too!!! I want to figure it out for you!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

Hmmm... I'm a movie freak and know way more than I should...but I'm having a lot of trouble with this. Do you know the name of even ONE actor or actress in the movie? That would be a big big help!!!

It's driving me crazy too!!! I want to figure it out for you!
No, unfotunately I can't remember who was in it. If I could I could bo to imdb.com and look up their resume and find it that way.

I do know that I tuned in because I recognized one of the male actor's names.

Originally Posted by LokisMum

Oh, heck. I've seen that movie, just can't think of the name of it!
Gah! That's not helping!!!

Originally Posted by LokisMum

Was Michele Pfeiffer in i?
No. But I went and looked at her resume at imdb.com. I'm pretty sure the actor that I recognized was a male.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't remember if all three people were on the boat during a storm... but were you thinking of "Dead Calm" with Billy Zane, Sam Neil and Nicole Kidman?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! That movie was driving me nuts because I couldn't remember what it was called.

Originally Posted by Yorda

I don't remember if all three people were on the boat during a storm... but were you thinking of "Dead Calm" with Billy Zane, Sam Neil and Nicole Kidman?
Yeah that movie was made in 1989... could that be it?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Originally Posted by Moz

Thanks guys! That movie was driving me nuts because I couldn't remember what it was called.

Yeah that movie was made in 1989... could that be it?
No, not Dead Calm. I've seen that. The movie I'm thinking of didn't have a psycho on board. And it's not the one with Kate Jackson that was similar to Dead Calm, either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, not Dead Calm. I've seen that. The movie I'm thinking of didn't have a psycho on board. And it's not the one with Kate Jackson that was similar to Dead Calm, either.
Did the movie title have anything to do with water?

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

White Squall? I dunno.. hmmm.
That's exactly what I was thinking...but it doesn't seem to follow the same plot-line as she described so

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

That's the movie I was thinking of---Dead Calm.