Lily's Nesting Nook...let me know what you think!!!!

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After me stressing for the past couple of weeks as to where my Lily would have her kittens, I went out today and bought one of those vinyl collapseable dog crate type things. It was kind of expensive (as was pretty much everything we bought for the cats today
), but I really think it was necessary and I hope she adjusts to it, as we're expecting her to give birth any day now.

Here's some pictures:

Her nesting nook with food, water, and litter-box close by:

Her checking it out for the first time:

Not so sure, gotta inspect the area:

I put lots of clean fluffy towels and a baby blanket inside, as well as a sheet covering the screened openings on the side... so I'm hoping she likes it!!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually, I just went back into the other room to check and she was all comfy laying down in there!!!!

Yay, I think I've finally made her happy with one of the spots I've provided her with. (I've tried several things, but this seems to be working!)

Here she is relaxing in there!!!!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks good - only suggestions I have is to put some newspaper in a pillowcase for delivery time - paper will absorb the blood, etc. Then take the baby blanket and put it in another pillowcase after all are born.

The pillowcase prevents the little kittens from getting their tiny nails caught in the fabric.

You also might want to cut a piece of cardboard about 2-3 inches high and fit it right inside the front door for a barrier - that way the kittens will not fall out when they start to crawl around but mom can still step over for food/water/litter pan.

She should have a colorful litter since she's a blue patched tabby - post pics when you can

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice!!!

I definitely will post pictures, I feel like any minute she's going to pop, but I've felt like that for a week now.....so we'll see.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness...... so since there aren't many small places to go and chill out here, Lily has been spending much of her days in the bottom shelf of the tv stand/entertainment center thingie in our bedroom that we haven't completely finished up yet since we moved in here.

I figured making her her own special secluded space might curb this so we can get it all set-up with the rest of our electronics and DVDs. (plus one of the glass doors is still not on there).

So here she is right now:

My hubby laughs at all the effort I put into our cats and how they just completely ignore it.

(oh and PLEASE EXCUSE how dirty that glass appears to be!! I didn't even notice until the flash of the camera captured it all!! Forgive me, for we just moved this week!)

I don't want to take away her favorite spot, so for now I'm not going to, but when those babies are coming, she is simply going to have to accept her new spot.

richi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
blacka didnt have a "special" spot.haha.she was just going to have them on the floor.I had to put her in her nestbox,or else she would have never gone in.Yea you should put a border on the dog house thingy.I put the litter tray right in front of it and used that as a border.I dont know if yours is long enough tho

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It may look misleading, but the opening is 4-5 inches tall (maybe even 6!! haha I'll break out the measuring tape) and has a hard rubber liner inside the vinyl part of the front , so there's no way any kittens are escaping from there. (until they get big enough to jump out!!!) That's why I put an old fluffy towel over the front part, to make it softer.

ajapoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Love it! And she is adorable
Our foster has a kitten who looks almost exactly like her. we call her Nettie. PPl just love brown tabbies...she already has a home waiting for her

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure on the opening - it looked like something there but thought you just kinda curl the towels up. But the pillowcases are the best for newborn kittens.

I'd confine her to the room the crate is in during the last few days before birth as you don't want her to have them just anywhere. My queens were confined to the cage about a week before being due so they could settle in.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We definitely don't have any old pillowcases....but I'm going to ask friends and family for any old sheets and pillowcases they don't need.

I'll make hubby do it when it goes to work today too...everyone is interested in the progress of "Crazy Dani's newest pregnant addition".

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure you don't "need" a new set of pillowcases
The ones you have now will do - then it would be good excuse to go buy another set

OR cruise the neighborhood yard sales this weekend - I'm sure you will find 2 pillowcases

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Are you sure you don't "need" a new set of pillowcases
The ones you have now will do - then it would be good excuse to go buy another set

OR cruise the neighborhood yard sales this weekend - I'm sure you will find 2 pillowcases
LOL You read my mind!!!!!!!!!

I just said to DH before he left for work.... "So, um....since we've been thinking about changing up the colors for the bedroom, maybe we should just buy some new sheets and other bedding now instead of waiting.....
"

richi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any kittens yet? lol.Im so excited for you.!!.lol.I remember being so worried days befor blacka gave birth.lol.i hop everything goes well.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No!!! I swear, for the past week and a halfI've beenso sure any second she would go into labor, but she just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

I'm starting to wonder how many kittens she HAS in there!!!

I'm one of those crazy people that talks to their cats so I say things like
"Hey Lily, how many buns you got in that oven?".

She has been eating a little less the past two days though, so maybe soon??
I'm just glad she's healthier now and the little babies are STRONG kickers.

I'm trying to not think about it because I get all nervous again and overanalyze her behavior. We're completely prepared, now it's just the tick tick tick of the clock.

I'm sure if I see her go into labor I'll be right up here posting and posting and posting and asking every question imaginable!!!!!
Thanks for thinking of me, I was thinking about you and Blacka and I'm actually glad Blacka had hers first....haha easier on me!!!

richi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea huh?lol.lucky you.Blacka wouldnt eat alot a day befor she gave birth.Not even wet food.!! She probably just took about 10 bites of her food during the day before she had them.and the day she had them she had like 0 bites, so if her urge for eating goes down that low.Be aware she might go into labor the next day.Does she have milk yet? Blacka got her 2 or 3 days before she gave birth.I dont remember.well yea i was also overanalizing her behavior,like a week before.I kept saying today is the day because so and so and nope no kittens until the most obvious day.Dont be alarmed if you see thick white discharge from her vagina.I know i was.I thought she was dying or something.lol.but then 10 min later there were kittens.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
also expecent mothers can get a huge appatite before birth, every cat is different.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't want to make a new thread to ask this question........
buuut, the past few days Lily's temper has been terrible.

She's cranky all the time, attacks me at least three to four times a day because apparently I'm ticking her off somehow.

I try to leave her alone, then she'll come begging for attention, I'll give her some and she'll snap and rip skin off my hand with her claws.

She's also started randomly growling.....When she's in one of her moods she'll growl in several tones (it sounds like a person complaining!). Sometimes she'll growl then hiss at absolutely nothing.

What happened to my loving cat???

Is this normal????

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she could be in early labor and is feeling the contractions and doesn't understand what is going on. Just be patient with her and keep her confined to the room with the birthing cage

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could this be going on for days???
Is that normal???

It's been several days and today she's barely eating, just a cranky mess having mood swings yet again.

She doesn't want to stay in her nesting spot I've made her, so I keep confining her in that room in hopes that she'll get the hint. (I also keep putting her in there and sitting outside petting her and trying to get her to lie down and get comfy in there).

I took the advice of the pillowcase thing......there are two huge old pillowcases filled with newspaper and I made it kind of crumply and crunchy on the top so it's more comfy.