Cat gave birth!

miniie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boyfriend's cat has been pregnant for a while, but we never really knew she was pregnant until we noticed she was getting a belly. We didn't know how far along she was so we decided to keep her locked indoors (she's a outside cat). This morning i went to go brush my teeth, and i heard her making strange meowing noises and i was wondering what was wrong. I opened the door to the room where she was being kept in and she ran out into my boyfriend's brother's room and under the bed. I kept calling out her name but she didnt respond so i thought nothing of it. I came back a couple of minutes later just to make sure she hadn't gone out the window or something and i searched under the room and i called for her. She meowed and it sound like she was stuck under the bed. I started to panic because under his bed it was full of crap. Cans of mountain Dew, dirty plates, dirty clothe, shoes, you name it. Then i ran out and woke my boyfriend up and we moved the bed and we found her with only two kittens! oh my god!

I wanted to move them out of their because it was dirty and i felt bad but we dont know anything about it. My boyfriend says that if you touch the kitten she will disown it. So we didnt want to do anything. Now she has 4 kittens but shes still a little fat. They are so adorable and im so happy. I just wish there was something we could do about that spot.

Help! What can i do?! I'm a complete newbie to cat pregnancies.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is safe to move them, the mother will not disown them if you touch them. My foster kittens are handled daily starting during the birth and I've never had a problem!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can definately handle them! It is recommended to handle them right away so that they get accostomed to it. She will not likely disown them, that is a myth. And make sure she and her babes are kept STRICTLY inside until the babies are 10-12 weeks and they can ALL be spayed and neutered. DO NOT let momma back out side as she will become pregnant almost right away.

ajapoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miniie

My boyfriend's cat has been pregnant for a while, but we never really knew she was pregnant until we noticed she was getting a belly. We didn't know how far along she was so we decided to keep her locked indoors (she's a outside cat). This morning i went to go brush my teeth, and i heard her making strange meowing noises and i was wondering what was wrong. I opened the door to the room where she was being kept in and she ran out into my boyfriend's brother's room and under the bed. I kept calling out her name but she didnt respond so i thought nothing of it. I came back a couple of minutes later just to make sure she hadn't gone out the window or something and i searched under the room and i called for her. She meowed and it sound like she was stuck under the bed. I started to panic because under his bed it was full of crap. Cans of mountain Dew, dirty plates, dirty clothe, shoes, you name it. Then i ran out and woke my boyfriend up and we moved the bed and we found her with only two kittens! oh my god!

I wanted to move them out of their because it was dirty and i felt bad but we dont know anything about it. My boyfriend says that if you touch the kitten she will disown it. So we didnt want to do anything. Now she has 4 kittens but shes still a little fat. They are so adorable and im so happy. I just wish there was something we could do about that spot.

Help! What can i do?! I'm a complete newbie to cat pregnancies.
Yep, the pp is right. We got our kitties at 2 weeks and they were handled by their owner and of course we set up for them here and moved them into a comfy spot and all are happy and mom is the best mom ever

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please fix up a box or crate with some soft blankets and put mom and kittens in another room (closet, or something safe).

Your bf is totally wrong on touching kittens - I've handled my queen's kittens from the time they are born - they don't disown them.

And schedule mom's spay as soon as your vet will do it. Do NOT let her outside because she will become pregnant even if she's nursing kittens.

The kittens need a clean and safe place for the next 12 weeks.