Cat eating Dog food...

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I came home last night to discover Tipsy had vomitted everywhere. Discovered that it was because he had eaten dog food (I could see the large chunks of dog food obviously undigested).
We dont have a dog so it must be one of the neighbours.

This morning however he has not moved off the sofa. Its now 8am and usually he is pacing the house from about 6am to be let outside. I have let Cedar outside and he just hasnt moved an inch.

Is dog food toxic to cats? or something like that? I cant work out why else he would be like he is.

Thoughts anyone?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Toxic NO .... only regular comsuption would "technically " hurt a cat ... as dog food is TOO low in protein and often has to little taurine....

He likely has one BIG tummy ache ... I would say he likely should be himself by tomarrow if not off to the vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thankyou for your quick response Jen, I am beside myself with worry as this is so unlike him to be so lethargic.
Sunday here so vets are only on emergancy call. Happy to take him today if need be but just wasnt sure if it was worth the trip

I was hoping it might just be him having a big tummy ache. At least its not toxic or harmful in anyway (well not just once off anyway).

arrrrggghhhhh silly cat. Gosh I hope thats all it is and waiting until tomorrow isnt a bad thing

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have hairball goo?? Ya might give hime some... Has he done his potties today??

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
no no hairball stuff. Never really had the need for it. He hasnt used the litter in over 12 hours. Thats not unusual though in this house as they usually do everything outside. Although early morning they are both eagar to get outside to 'mark' their territory. Not Tipsy this morning though. Still hasnt moved an inch

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CALL the ER vet and tell them/...

Could he be allergic to the dog food ???

no potties worries me ...

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
he is up and walking around now and seems back to normal... even wants to go outside. I will keep an eye on him and call the ER vet if he goes bad again.

Again THANKYOU

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad to hear he feels better Dan. I hope he continues to improve.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad hes feeling better .... sending vibes your way ......

Miss seeing you post!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Miss seeing you post!
awwww what a lovely thing to say. Thankyou

well Tipsy is just fine... obviously just an upset tummy. silly kitty

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO you might want to do a little more supervising when they are outside. What happens if someone leaves poisoned food out as bait?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't free feed any more. Scheduled meal times are needed. They should not be eating each other's food.

Glad he is feeling better, I bet he was major bloated and had a very full belly. One night our cat got into something on the counter while we were eating, the aftermath was not pretty.