PLEASE!! Spayand Neuter

deb314

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I see sooo many kittens have been born lately. I sure hope everyone will spay and neuter these cats. I have had the burden of taking in a pregnant stray that was starving in my back yard. She had 5 kittens last week. All the shelters are full. I wish people would take responsibility and not let your cats breed. I have my 2 dogs and 2 cats fixed, but now I have someone elses responsiblilty dumped on me. Its very sad to see this happening. I am going to try my best to get these kittens to good homes, but only with a promise from the new owners that they are spayed and nuetered. I hope everyone else does the same.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I realize your intentions are good, but you are preaching to the choir in this community.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we all feel the same as you do and before you put everyone under the same brush everyone's is a different situation most of the pregnant cats on this fourm are rescues/strays and yes sometimes the opps litter, but while they are comming here for advice they are also learning about the care and spaying/neutering. we had a thread only a few weeks back on this excate same thing, and tends to get a bit heated.

allie72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are telling me...a bunch of different people who moved from our building have just up & left their cat un fixed to roam the parking lot, & surrounding areas to become feral.
I know one of the cat was given a furever home. I have 5 already no room for more while we live here.

ajapoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree. I am currently fostering a mom and her 3 week old litter. A lady a few towns over was moving, and couldn't take her outside cat . The cat was never altered and now we have kittens! She said she didn't have the money for alteration, but I've explained the local humane societies who alter for free or low cost to low income families....
Anyway, I totally agree with the needing to spay/neuter. I've been lurking here for a bit and some, yes seem to be rescues but some seem to be pets.

the kittens, Celie, Nettie, harpo and Sway and their mother, Vanessa will be altered at 12 weeks. My vet does discounts on rescue litters.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb314

with a promise from the new owners that they are spayed and nuetered.
You could speuter them yourself and charge the new owners an adoption fee to cover that, then you know for sure they are done.

ajapoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

You could speuter them yourself and charge the new owners an adoption fee to cover that, then you know for sure they are done.
Ditto. People will say anything to get what they want. Of course they will "promise" to speuter the cat or some will even sign a contract. Doesn't mean it will be done. If you MUST wait, then you need a good contract (maybe even with a lawyers help, if needed), stating the specifics. Followup and follow through. if alteration is not completed at the recommended time (around 5-6 months) , take them to court and sue and reclaim the kitten. Some people say "oh its not that serious' but for those of us who rescue, it IS. Too many kittens/cats are being put to sleep for this very reason.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I personally spay and neuter all kittens prior to going home, but I know of 2 people who have the adoptive families sign the spay and neuter contract. One of those 2 breeders has had to sue twice regarding the spay and neuter not being done, and so far won both times. One time the person had bred the cat and produced kittens, she won the costs for the person not honoring contract, which was over $1000, plus she was awarded ownership of kittens once they were weaned.
I believe that kittens and puppies should be spayed and neutered prior to placing, but for those who wish not to, a good solid contract and follow through is important.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I see sooo many kittens have been born lately. I sure hope everyone will spay and neuter these cats. I have had the burden of taking in a pregnant stray that was starving in my back yard. She had 5 kittens last week. All the shelters are full. I wish people would take responsibility and not let your cats breed. I have my 2 dogs and 2 cats fixed, but now I have someone elses responsiblilty dumped on me. Its very sad to see this happening. I am going to try my best to get these kittens to good homes, but only with a promise from the new owners that they are spayed and nuetered. I hope everyone else does the same.
If you are so concerned that spaying and neutering will be done, of course you are, but enough to post that here, then you need to also be responsible and spay and neuter the babies before they are adopted to new homes. Look for low cost options in your area and ask an adoption fee to cover the costs.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags

I personally spay and neuter all kittens prior to going home, but I know of 2 people who have the adoptive families sign the spay and neuter contract. One of those 2 breeders has had to sue twice regarding the spay and neuter not being done, and so far won both times. One time the person had bred the cat and produced kittens, she won the costs for the person not honoring contract, which was over $1000, plus she was awarded ownership of kittens once they were weaned.
I believe that kittens and puppies should be spayed and neutered prior to placing, but for those who wish not to, a good solid contract and follow through is important.
I really really REALLY like that story!!!!

and what Jen said:

If you are so concerned that spaying and neutering will be done, of course you are, but enough to post that here, then you need to also be responsible and spay and neuter the babies before they are adopted to new homes. Look for low cost options in your area and ask an adoption fee to cover the costs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deb314

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Yes Jen, my gripe is I'm tired of other people not doing that. Now I must incure the cost of someone not being responsible for their pets. Again.

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I am going to try my best to get these kittens to good homes, but only with a promise from the new owners that they are spayed and nuetered. I hope everyone else does the same.
I believe that the thing that Jen is referring to is this quote that you made where you're only going to get a "promise" from the new owners and not having it done yourself. I understand all too well what you're talking about because I used to help a lot with cat rescue and I, generally, ended up with the pregnant strays. I stopped for awhile and I now have one foster left. Could you maybe do what I'm doing? I have a friend that works for one of our local shelters. I am assisting by fostering here and taking them to Petsmart on adoption day. This way the cat/kitten can get adopted through the shelter to ensure spaying/neutering. If they don't get adopted, then I bring them back here, so they never go into the shelter, and this way there is no chance of being PTS. If you don't have the financial ability (and not saying you don't, since I don't know you) to have them spayed/neutered yourself, then I thought that this might be an option.
Three of our girls (including the foster) are spayed, but the other two aren't; however, they are only about 11wks old and I don't like doing early spays. They will be spayed when ready, though.

ajapoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Yes Jen, my gripe is I'm tired of other people not doing that. Now I must incure the cost of someone not being responsible for their pets. Again.
well thanks for taking these babies in and taking on the responsibility of others who can not responsibly care for their pets. Around here it is hard to find cat fosters, but not so much canines.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I personally spay and neuter all kittens prior to going home
Amen to that. All my babies that will NOT be kept by me as entires are neutered at 4 months or 1kg whichever comes first!

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Amen to that. All my babies that will NOT be kept by me as entires are neutered at 4 months or 1kg whichever comes first!
Applause!! We have done this for years without ever a single problem as a kitten or as they have matured into adults. I look forward to the day that all rescue, fosters, and breeders understand the benefits of pediatric altering, and realize that the myths are just that.....myths.

ajapoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Applause!! We have done this for years without ever a single problem as a kitten or as they have matured into adults. I look forward to the day that all rescue, fosters, and breeders understand the benefits of pediatric altering, and realize that the myths are just that.....myths.
That and I think the benefits of ped. altering FAR outweigh the risks when it comes to young kittens having kittens, having birth problems and contributing to the overpopulation of unwanted kittens/cats. kudos to you breeders who do this BEFORE placing them. I actually met someone on a board who bred danes and suggested that nuetering does not make a dog (or any pet for that matter) healthier and happier and she did not require them to be fixed.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This dude, PR Masmera Sinar Suria was neutered at 4 months...does he look any way affected by pediatric altering? I think not!
At now 8 months, he's already way bigger than his mom, catching up to his dad and is on his way to Grand!

ajapoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

This dude, PR Masmera Sinar Suria was neutered at 4 months...does he look any way affected by pediatric altering? I think not!
At now 8 months, he's already way bigger than his mom, catching up to his dad and is on his way to Grand!
Wow he is gorgeous!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deb314

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNKittyMom

I believe that the thing that Jen is referring to is this quote that you made where you're only going to get a "promise" from the new owners and not having it done yourself. I understand all too well what you're talking about because I used to help a lot with cat rescue and I, generally, ended up with the pregnant strays. I stopped for awhile and I now have one foster left. Could you maybe do what I'm doing? I have a friend that works for one of our local shelters. I am assisting by fostering here and taking them to Petsmart on adoption day. This way the cat/kitten can get adopted through the shelter to ensure spaying/neutering. If they don't get adopted, then I bring them back here, so they never go into the shelter, and this way there is no chance of being PTS. If you don't have the financial ability (and not saying you don't, since I don't know you) to have them spayed/neutered yourself, then I thought that this might be an option.
Three of our girls (including the foster) are spayed, but the other two aren't; however, they are only about 11wks old and I don't like doing early spays. They will be spayed when ready, though.
I have called all the no kill shelters in my area, they are all full and will not help. I asked for them to put them on their website when they are ready to leave Mom. But with no reply. I guess I'm on my own to give these little ones the best new homes I can find for them.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have called all the no kill shelters in my area, they are all full and will not help. I asked for them to put them on their website when they are ready to leave Mom. But with no reply. I guess I'm on my own to give these little ones the best new homes I can find for them.
Thanks for helping them.